Moving from understable to overstable

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Moving from understable to overstable

Postby treehugger87 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:30 pm

My throw has developed to the point that I'm turning over the discs in my bag that are understable such as an Avenger SS, which I use as my main driver right now. So I need suggestions for new discs to try out for my main driver or an idea of where to draw the line for overstability at this point. I'm not sure if I posted this in the right place, but any suggestions would be awesome.
treehugger87
Noob

Favorite Disc: DX Destroyer

Re: Moving from understable to overstable

Postby keltik » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:46 am

what all are you throwing now?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby treehugger87 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:25 am

The drivers I carry right now are an D Avenger SS, an ESP Avenger SS, a Z Nuke SS, a DX Valkyrie and a Blizzard Destroyer.
treehugger87
Noob

Postby Itchy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:23 am

Keep throwing those discs and release them at a hyzer angle. If you're releasing them at 7 or 8 o'clock and they still anney, then get more stable discs.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby Stringbean » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:02 am

What's your average max distance on a usable line? You could start out with a Teebird and see how that flies for you. Other options might be a Wraith or Surge (SS).

Are you turning over the Blizzard Destroyer? Those are fairly stable in Champ/Star plastic, not sure how they fly in Blizzard plastic.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby treehugger87 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:01 pm

My usable line distance is in the 325'-350' range. As for the BC Destroyer it turns over too.
treehugger87
Noob

Postby keltik » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:05 pm

Blizz Destro's can be weird. you have to throw them lid smooth to get good flight out of them. at least the super light ones (130's).

The A-ss is flippy from jump street. The Valk in fresh DX form is considered by many the best version currently in production (myself included).

Some discs to try that would be "straighter": XL, XS, Teebird, Eagle-L, TL, Champ Leopard, River, Saint, Cyclone,

also work on being smooth with your form and preserving the disc plane throughout your throwing motion and into the flight.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Blake_T » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:11 pm

All of the discs he mentioned basically power cap in the 330-350' range, that is, they start getting mega squrirrely around then.

There aren't a ton of models in the higher speed range that are only a notch more overstable, most tend to jump 2 or more notches.

Sme that come to mind are the flash, SL, Striker, and surge SS.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby treehugger87 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Until just recently the A-SS had always been a straight-flying disc for me. I did some field work on a windy day about a week ago and that's when it started turning over. I chalked it up to the wind and left it alone. Then yesterday I went out and played a round with a few friends and on the first tee I grabbed the A-SS like I always do, threw it down the fairway and it turned over and was gone. The first words out of my friends mouth were "I think it's time to move to something more stable" as my disc sailed off and down the hill off the first fairway. Now the only driver in my bag that doesn't turn over is the Nuke SS, which is flying straight with a soft turn at the end, and I'm having to use it in place of my A-SS. I have a DX Wraith that I was thinking about getting out and throwing. It was a gift from a friend and I stashed it away for when I felt like I could throw it at the right speed. I may go pick up a Surge SS too. I thought the S-SS would be the next disc to try, but I wasn't entirely sure. Thanks for the feedback everybody. Now if I can just talk the wife into going disc shopping. :D
treehugger87
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:58 pm

The avenger SS gets way too understable if you overpower it. Imo, it's flight is closer to a roadrunner for anyone with 350+ power. The nuke SS will behave the same but it burns over even harder, although it takes 30' more power than the Avenger SS to do that.

Basically, everything in your bag is pretty squirrely. The valk is the least, but in dx it will eventually get squirrely with age.
Blake_T

Postby Stringbean » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:02 pm

My power range is about the same as yours, 330-360. I have a beat up Pro Wraith and it does turn over easily when thrown flat. The DX Wraith will start out stable but that won't last long in DX plastic. I have another in max weight Star Plastic and that flies just right for me. Maybe try out your DX and if it seems to fit your needs, buy one in Star or Champ plastic.

PD Freak or Boatman might be a couple of discs to look into as well.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby treehugger87 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:16 pm

I'm playing a round in the morning to test out the Wraith and see if there's any of my other discs in my collection that may need to move into my bag. The Surge SS is probably the next on my to-buy list and maybe a new Wraith if the one I have is flying good for me tomorrow.
treehugger87
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Just so you know, the problem you are facing is a very common one. For the past 5 years or so companies have been making "pro" drivers and "beginner" drivers and hardly anything in between. I think this is why the flight chart testing has gotten so tedious since 90% of drivers aren't targeted at the serious but not pro level power thrower.
Blake_T

Postby JR » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:17 am

My standard recommendation is the Beast which for all intents and purposes is like a less fading Z Surge SS of the early runs. I don't know how current Surge SSs fly from personal experience because the first one fly like Z Surges and i've heard reports of the later S-SSs flying more understable now. Not knowing what the difference is flipping or just not fading as much or both it is hard to say. I imagine S-SS and know that the Beast would work better. And the title of the thread according to what most need is moving from understable to straight/stable.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Blake_T » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:02 am

Beasts have half a notch more consistent fade than the avenger ss but really aren't more stable overall. The valk has more consistent fade than the beast.

The surge ss has similar fade to an sl but is a half notch easier to turn.
Blake_T

Next

Return to Technique