Index/middle finger ratios and throw type

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What best matches your finger length and throw preference?

My middle finger is a lot longer than my index finger and I throw sidearm more naturally.
11%
My middle finger is a little longer than my index finger and I throw sidearm more naturally.
No votes
My middle finger is a lot longer than my index finger and I throw backhand more naturally.
32%
My middle finger is a little longer than my index finger and I throw backhand more naturally.
58%
I have all short, stubby fingers you insensitive clod!
No votes

Total votes : 19

Postby Parks » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:06 am

Just curious here. I have a moderately long middle finger and my index finger is about 3/4 of an inch shorter if I hold all my hand out flat with fingers together. Sidearm definitely comes easier to me and all my early success was with sidearm.

People almost always have longer middle fingers, but I'm wondering if people with a higher index to middle finger ratio are more naturally prone to backhands, while people with higher middle to index finger ratios are more natural sidearm throwers.

If my hypothesis were to have merit, then Arsenio Hall would be a beastly natural backhander.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Index/middle finger ratios and throw type

Postby keltik » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:41 pm

On my throwing hand my index finger is less than 1/2 inch shorter than my middle finger. I throw BH farther than FH but I'm slowly adding FH to my game. I guess I'm a more natural BHer? I'm more known as a BSer though. I think I know where you're going with this.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Cavere » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:17 pm

Parks I'm in your boat with my index being a fair amount shorter than my middle finger. Coming from a baseball background forehand has always been my furthest form being able to reach close to 500'.

I do have small hands and gripping backhand proves to be a stretch with drivers. I can throw mids out ~340' but I top out with drivers around 400'. I think hand size and finger length do play a factor.
katana--Boss--Surge--Orc--Monster--Roadrunner--Eagle--Buzz--FR Ion
subject to change almost each and every day!
Cavere
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Return to General Discussion