FTT's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: FTT's Bag

Postby LYang » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:10 pm

What happened to the PD's and Leopards?
LYang
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby dgdave » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:17 pm

The PDs are coming to me :D
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:25 pm

Yup. Dave is getting 2 nice PD's. After seeing how many S-Lines were coming out in plus molds, I decided to switch back. A few other things fit into the decision too: I have a good stack of Teebirds that I know well and the gap between PD's and Destroyers wasn't much but the gap between Teebirds and Destroyers is enough to find niche roles for each. Oh, and Leopards are out because I have a good DX Teebird, a beat Star Teebird, and my Beasts will hold anhyzers/turnovers really well - as long, or longer than Leopards, depending on what I need.

In the end, it's a better fit for me. I don't feel like I'm missing a beat.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:31 am

You have plenty of good discs so i think you should halt all the switching now for at least two months to gather enough data on what works and if you have some circumstances where you need something else. If you do in which direction speed and stability wise vs an existing disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:55 am

Yeah I think your right. I hated all the switching I did in the last few months, but I feel like it was all for a good reason. I'm finally in a spot where I feel like every shot is covered at every range.

BTW, Destroyers have changed my forehand game. I bagged an Eagle this last week with a 250' forehand skip shot on a 566' par 4 turning through the woods. My lie put me in a spot where a forehand was my only option, and I needed more fade than a mid or putter could offer. It flared about 75' into the chains! And I came inches away from a 350' forehand ace this past weekend.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:07 am

Kick ass! Congrats :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks!

Dominator is starting to bomb for me. It's turning a little more now and doesn't have as harsh of a fade as you might expect from a 13 speed driver.

Other tweaks - made a trade for a flat Champ Rhyno, pulling the R-Pro Rhyno out of the bag for now and keeping the DX in there (2 Rhyno's is sufficient), and I'll add an X Comet if I can get some paypal funds.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:11 pm

This is just a bored bag post. (updated 11/9)

Distance
171 FR Champion Dominator - max D
172 S PD2 - beefy
172 Star Destroyer *DS - stable control

Fairway
175 Champion Firebird - utility
172 Champ Teebird - workhorse
171 Star Teebird - backup workhorse
170 Star Teebird - beat to straight
175 DX Teebird - understable

Mids
180 12x Roc - fresh
180 12x Roc - beat
176 DX Roc - new-ish (backup)
176 DX Roc - getting beat

Putters
175 Champ Rhyno - overstable
173 Glo CFR BB Aviar - stable driving
171 Glow KC Aviar - backup to the BB Aviar
170 Star Aviar P&A - understable stuff
175 Glo KC Pro Aviar x2 - putts (3 total in rotation)
Last edited by Fightingthetide on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mikes919 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:25 pm

I would think you should be able to cut the teebirds from 5 to 3, just pick your favorite overstable, staight and understable. Drop 1 Roc, 1 Rhyno and 1 Aviar. Drop whichever of the distance drivers you throw the least. Then you basically have the same setup but lighter.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:32 pm

Good call - except I'm keeping my Aviars as they are. The BB has a taller shoulder than my Glo KC, making it a good bit more stable. Champ Rhyno is in there for utility shots and the Star Aviar PnA is money for understable shots. But I could see myself taking the Rhyno out - I'm giving them a few weeks.

I might pick up some Comets sometime in the next month or two once my DX Rocs break in further. Edited my last post.
Last edited by Fightingthetide on Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby LYang » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Curious as to why you prefer KC Glo's over regular KC Aviar for putting? and why them over P2’s? or will that change once P-P2's are out?
LYang
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:52 pm

LYang wrote:Curious as to why you prefer KC Glo's over regular KC Aviar for putting? and why them over P2’s? or will that change once P-P2's are out?

I found a good run of them a few weeks ago, and now have 3 + 1 normal KC. The Glo's are all double/triple stamped x-outs, so the top is a tiny bit flatter than normal KC's (slightly lower shoulder), and the grip is also a little better.

P2's are great. If I hadn't come across these KC Glo's, I'd probably be picking up some P P2's now that they are in production. I could switch without a problem, but over the last few weeks I've adapted to the feel of a beaded putter. It came easy since I'm now used to Rocs.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:49 am

This is more for my own curiosity.

I'm learning too much to just switch things up, but one thing I'm noticing with my Destroyer (current run, flat *DS) is that it lacks glide. I'm not using it for max D, but I'm curious to know if there is a disc out there with similar HSS and LSS with more glide. Preferably speed 11/12. What I love about my Destroyer, and don't want to lose, is how dependable it is on full-power backhand shots and forehand shots where accuracy is key, as well as it's line-shaping capabilities.

Also, my FR Champ Dominator is a great disc and has given me some of my longest throws, but it too seems to lack glide to where I can't trust it on uphill shots. It's almost as if it loses speed quickly...it doesn't hang in the air as long as I would like unless thrown flat or downhill...and downhill is risky because it can really carry far to the right if you don't get the right amount of hyzer. Any 12/13 speed discs with similar valk-ish flight, but more glide?

For reference, on flat ground w/ no wind I am getting my Destroyer to ~350' to 375' and Dominator to ~425'+.

For both of these, Blizzards are not my preference, but I might not be opposed to 160+.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:59 am

Check your destroyer's top. It may be the Vulcan top which means its a teedevil
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:07 am

dgdave wrote:Check your destroyer's top. It may be the Vulcan top which means its a teedevil

Nope, mine isn't a destrulcan. I used to have one and it was dumpy, incredibly overstable, and useless. My *DS is a true Destroyer wing (top and bottom) with a flat flight plate - very workable, fast, consistent, and has a reliable fade...it just lacks a little bit of glide.

It's not that it doesn't glide at all, I'm just wondering if there's a disc out there with similar flight characteristics and more glide.

Honestly it'll take a lot to make me switch. I'm more or less just curious to know what other Wraith/Destroyer alternatives are out there in case it becomes hard to find decent Destroyers.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion