Dominator vs. Nuke SS

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Dominator vs. Nuke SS

Postby aerohusker » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:48 pm

I picked up a Innova Dominator the other day and it seems to throw a lot like a Nuke SS. Does anybody have experience with this?
aerohusker
Noob

Favorite Disc: R-Pro Roc

Re: Dominator vs. Nuke SS

Postby aerohusker » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Which one is considered more understable?
aerohusker
Noob

Favorite Disc: R-Pro Roc

Postby PMantle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:26 pm

The Inbounds inflight guide shows them to have very similar numbers:
Dominator 433' -20% 46%
Surge SS 400' -23% 46%
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:48 pm

By the flight ratings
Dominator: 13,5,-1,2
Nuke SS: 13,5,-3,3

Joe's Flight Chart (just HSS and LSS)
Dominator: -1,3
Nuke SS: -2,3

Inbounds:
Dominator: -20%, 46%
Nuke SS: -53%, 60%

All three sources say the Nuke SS turns more and fades more. From my experience, if you can get a 171+ Champ Dominator to 400', they track to the right slowly and have a gentle fade that glides out. Never thrown a Nuke SS. I would imagine it's a little harder to control. In the end, variances and different factors affecting flight produce different results between the two.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby chainsmoker » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:02 pm

PMantle wrote:The Inbounds inflight guide shows them to have very similar numbers:
Dominator 433' -20% 46%
Surge SS 400' -23% 46%

I understand the -20% and -23% are hss but -20% and -23% of what?
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:31 pm

chainsmoker wrote:
PMantle wrote:The Inbounds inflight guide shows them to have very similar numbers:
Dominator 433' -20% 46%
Surge SS 400' -23% 46%

-23% from zero, with zero being your line of sight on your throw...or rather, the line in which you pull the disc.

It's a somewhat arbitrary rating system given to show how the disc will fly if thrown flat and with the right amount of power, but with the understanding that disc flight has far too many variables to give you an exact flight rating 100% of the time.

Read more here - http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=569
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby PMantle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:59 pm

I looked up the wrong disc :lol: :oops:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby chainsmoker » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:
chainsmoker wrote:
Dominator 433' -20% 46%
Surge SS 400' -23% 46%

-23% from zero, with zero being your line of sight on your throw...or rather, the line in which you pull the disc.

It's a somewhat arbitrary rating system given to show how the disc will fly if thrown flat and with the right amount of power, but with the understanding that disc flight has far too many variables to give you an exact flight rating 100% of the time.

Read more here - http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=569

I read that before I posted but it didn't help. ( I might be a little slow) I guess if they are willing to give me an exact distance why not give me an exact amount of turn and fade with the understanding that my results could be different. I'll look at the link a little more and study the chart.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Every rating system in disc golf is relative to multiple variables. Giving an exact rating would be impossible. Charts like those give you the best guess at what the flight would be like assuming a few things (they list those assumptions on their website) but don't take into consideration how much spin YOU put on the disc, what angle(s) you release it at, what the wind is doing, what condition your disc is in, elevation change...and the list goes on.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby inbounds » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:06 pm

chainsmoker wrote:I read that before I posted but it didn't help. ( I might be a little slow) I guess if they are willing to give me an exact distance why not give me an exact amount of turn and fade with the understanding that my results could be different. I'll look at the link a little more and study the chart.

You are getting an exact amount of turn and fade. The % shows the amount to which the disc will traverse the x-axis relative to the minimum and maximum possible values. As noted previously, there are many assumptions that factor into the flight paths shown and most players will probably not be able to exactly hit those lines or distances. That's why we also include a type of "adjustment" document to help determine how your individual flight path will vary: http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=573

Fightingthetide wrote:Every rating system in disc golf is relative to multiple variables. Giving an exact rating would be impossible. Charts like those give you the best guess at what the flight would be like assuming a few things (they list those assumptions on their website) but don't take into consideration how much spin YOU put on the disc, what angle(s) you release it at, what the wind is doing, what condition your disc is in, elevation change...and the list goes on.

Exactly. It doesn't matter how you built it (even if a robot throws the disc), flight charts will always be subjective. From our overview:

This guide is designed to provide you with the graphical representation of a disc flight path. It is important to understand that the ratings and flight paths detailed in this resource are subjective and every disc will fly differently for each player. When using this guide and the accompanying flight charts, we highly recommend that you take note of the assumptions that were made when compiling this data and preparing these charts. Taking the assumptions into consideration, this guide provides you with the means to determine what discs are the most appropriate for you and which will best fit your needs.
inbounds
Noob

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Straight from the source. Good stuff.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby inbounds » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:58 am

Fightingthetide wrote:Straight from the source. Good stuff.

We're always happy to talk about our methodology or about anything disc-golf related. If anybody feels like asking us a question directly, you can always hit us up here:

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=694

OR

Tune into Disc Golf Talk Radio tonight. The featured topic is pay to play and Brian Rogers from inbounds Disc Golf will be on during the second half of the program to talk about the company and our flight charts and flight rating system.
inbounds
Noob

Return to Equipment