Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: magnet vs clutch

Postby jubuttib » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:
jubuttib wrote:
gknmnstr wrote:
jubuttib wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:Perhaps the reason that Magnets get so little mention is they have been around for a long time. The newest thing is always more interesting. Maybe they should rename it the Magnet Schmagnet and see that ups the interest. :)
Could be, but that doesn't really seem to bother the Aviar though.

Then again there is a new aviar every other month it seems... Seems to me that discs rarely seem to outsell the the intial release. Unless it breaks a world record.
The normal Aviar is the one that sells the most though.

That's only because they are the only putter sold at most Sports Authority, Dicks, Big 5, etc.
At least in Finland the DX Aviar P&A is consistently the most sold putters in online disc stores too, only the Omega Supersoft offers it any real competition due to the Northern Omega Cult of Oulu.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:32 am

It ain't too many years ago when Omega SS was the best selling putter in Finland according to the guy that was probably selling most of those, Janne Penttilä now of Westside Discs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:44 am

the Northern Omega Cult of Oulu??? that sounds scary or out of a fantasy novel. But I can see how soft putters would be popular in cold climates. I was rumaging through my trunk yesterday at an unseasonably cold temp of 46°F and most of my discs felt hard as glass.

JHern, I agree that the Cyclone is an awesome disc.

also can someone link a video or get JR level descriptive about what Steve Rico can do with a Magnet. I just want to see it for myself.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby jubuttib » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:05 am

keltik wrote:the Northern Omega Cult of Oulu??? that sounds scary or out of a fantasy novel.
They are indeed quite scary, and surely no fantasy.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:38 pm

keltik wrote:also can someone link a video or get JR level descriptive about what Steve Rico can do with a Magnet. I just want to see it for myself.

Any of the MurderMike vids on youtube that feature Steve are good- anytime he's throwing a putter it's a Magnet, or since they've been out- a Clutch. I can't remember the video, maybe one of the Hambrick's, where Stevie bombs a Clutch/Magnet "approach" some stupid distance.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby JR » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:49 am

I have always used different discs for tackiness reasons in the cold and wet part of the year.

If you want to see Steve Rico Throwing Magnets watch the 2004 worlds DVD.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby money 21 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:16 pm

i might switch from magnets to clutches because the pro-d plastic that magnets are currently coming in sucks. Even just just hitting chain and the baskets they are beating to shit in just a few rounds.
Last edited by money 21 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Has anyone tossed the base plastic Clutches? I've only thrown the Pro-like ones but I really like them, If the base ones mold up nicely I could see them getting full time putting duty in my bag.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby JHern » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:48 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:Has anyone tossed the base plastic Clutches? I've only thrown the Pro-like ones but I really like them, If the base ones mold up nicely I could see them getting full time putting duty in my bag.

The base plastic (protege) Clutches are hit-and-miss, some are great, some are not so great. We've been collecting a batch from the very 1st run, white, very rigid, and chalky feeling plastic, they have held up great for me since the beginning of 2012. The next run of white protege were also rigid, but they were slick to the touch, and damaged easily. I got one that was booger green (copper foil stamp) in a raffle, but the green seemed to be like a paint and started to come off on my hands (quite strange).

If you're looking for a Clutch, the gravity (pro-like) are nice, but the rigid chalky protege are better, imho.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Pwingles » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Ive seen that a couple times with the drivers, color coming off, weird
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby JHern » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Pwingles wrote:Ive seen that a couple times with the drivers, color coming off, weird

Yeah, maybe the coloring agents are not being mixed homogeneously into the plastic, and the last squirt is color rich? I don't know.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Star Shark » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Protege is NOT the base plastic. Excel is. Protege is supposed to be along the lines of KC Pro, Gravity is like RPro. Pinnacle is the Champ style plastic and Icon is Legacy's version of Star Plastic.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:30 am

Star Shark wrote:Protege is NOT the base plastic. Excel is. Protege is supposed to be along the lines of KC Pro, Gravity is like RPro. Pinnacle is the Champ style plastic and Icon is Legacy's version of Star Plastic.

Yeah, I was talking about the Excel ones
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Ryan C » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:56 am

To me, the white Excels I have are almost identical to my white protoges, both in flight, feel, and durability, as far as I can tell. I would recommend just using those, because you'll save money.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Previous

Return to Equipment