Distance Limitations Related to Grip

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Distance Limitations Related to Grip

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm able to feel the rip much better through using a fork type grip which leads to more consistency and ultimately lower scores. I am however able to get much more distance on a 3 finger or full power grip with a loss of feel and consistency.

My question is, how much does using a grip with less than four fingers on the rim (specifically a fork grip) limit a throwers distance? I know Michael Jo uses a fork type grip, does anyone know how far he throws?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Re: Distance Limitations Related to Grip

Postby turso » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:21 pm

I can get discs to pretty much same distances if not farther with two under thumb on top than with a Borg style modified power grip, threw a few over 500' last summer with the less fingered grip.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby Blake_T » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:51 pm

Assuming you are able to perform equal timing and have the same range of motion with all grips is the problem. If this were possible, I would estimate a particularly strong grip (such as a double stack) can yield about 10% more d potential than an aberage grip. Similarly, a weaker grip method (such as a control grip), will probably lose 10-20% compared to an average strength grip.

Most people are unable to keep everything the same across grip changes, so if things are bigger than that it's usually due to factors other than grip strength changing.

That being said, the farther you can throw, the bigger the % change translates into distance. E.g. If you throw 500' -> 50' while someone throwing 250' -> 25'. The 50' is going to be much more noticeable.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby zj1002 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:14 pm

I definitely have a big difference between distance

My "course" grip is generally a stacked grip that I can keep fanned or tighten into a modified power grip. There is only a 25ft max difference between the stacked fan or power. I use the grip because it gives me a reliable rip and what feels like more accuracy. I have about 500ft of "accurate" power going this way. It's also the most comfortable and natural feel

But when I need pure distance I move to a 4 finger power grip. The 4 finger has never been comfortable enough to use all the time. I see a large increase up over 550ft at times. Only thrown over 600ft once. But there is no control, that's probably partially from not using the grip much.

But anyways, I do find a significant increase. I do agree with Blake about that not being the case with lower power players. In the end technique, timing, and holding onto the disc will yield the desired distance. You can achieve big throws with any of the accepted grips as long as the technique is sound
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby JR » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:47 am

GG throws 700'+ with a three finger grip but says that sometimes he uses just two. The colder it gets the more fingers you need on the disc to avoid early slips and grippy material. Blake hinted at but did not fully explain that different grips give different wrist movement ranges and fluidity=different snap speed and acceleration. There is probably variation across people according to arm, hand and finger strength and limberness. I throw the farthest with, according to radar 3 MPH average faster, two finger grip than three fingers. Which is a little looser in the muscles than four fingers which can be learned to be loose over time. At least if you're limber. The more muscle power you have the looser you can keep the arm so the more fingers you can keep on the disc. I suggest lifting weights, using grippers, finger push and pull ups, cable work etc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:19 pm

Someone told me Big Jerm throws with a fanish grip, es verdad?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Return to Technique