Joe's driving form

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Joe's driving form

Postby JR » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:13 am

Do i recall incorrectly that you had some back issues? Planting flat footed can jam the leg in place and the momentum will rotate your body twisting everything from the right ankle up to at least the upper back possibly the neck too depending on the speed and how flexible you are.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BLURR » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:12 pm

Back problem was related to a deadlifting injury at the gym. That is all healed up now and strong like bull.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:07 am

Congratulations i wish my back could heal. No such prognosis from the doc shot for life.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:28 am

That's a shame. My dad has a jacked up back as well. He uses an inversion machine to help him with his back. Seems to help him quite a bit.

Now, back to form, didn't shoot any video yesterday at Smithville. The courses were so bad that I didn't really feel like even dragging the camera out of the car.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby cubeofsoup » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:07 pm

found one little thing:

Looks like your foot is planting open. Try getting the foot pointed less at the target and more perpendicular. If you try this please let me know how it goes.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby BLURR » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Serious question, what would changing the direction of my plant foot do?
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby dgdave » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:27 pm

Id assume it keeps your hips closed longer and give more hip rotation. Resulting in more power
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby BLURR » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:33 pm

I haven't kept up on all the form talk. How does keeping the hips closed a little longer help generate more power? I would think that opening the hips when the disc is almost straight out from your chest would be the optimal position. Maybe not.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby dgdave » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:36 pm

When you plant with the hips open, you can't rotate them. Just my guess though.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby iacas » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:41 am

dgdave wrote:When you plant with the hips open, you can't rotate them. Just my guess though.

Planting with the foot more open would allow for more rotation, but could throw off the timing of the arms/release, the hips, the shoulders/torso.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby cubeofsoup » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:52 pm

I've noticed most professionals throw with a foot orientation that is perpendicular to the target line at the plant and doesn't open until at or just after the hit.

I think it allows for better power transfer through the hit by setting up your side to be braced properly.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:24 pm

cubeofsoup wrote:I've noticed most professionals throw with a foot orientation that is perpendicular to the target line at the plant and doesn't open until at or just after the hit.

I think it allows for better power transfer through the hit by setting up your side to be braced properly.

I've seen some do this and sometimes the foot pivot occurs a little before the hit.

This was a control drive for blurr. For control shots i like to plant with foot more open because i need less momentum and less pushing power off of the left leg to get the body rotated to almost face the target at the hit and to get a long and fast enough follow through. I also want to move a lot more slowly in control drives to avoid any part of the body tilting from too much momentum to handle consistently. This gets to be much more common when i get tired. For more power generation in distance drives with reduced consistency you should plant the foot pointing 180 degrees away from the target. That means that the x step too should have the heel pointing at the target when it plants. And that messes up balance, body control and timing easily. It took me months to get those back to normal. Switch like that can easily reduce your distance at first.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Video Critique