E cigarettes?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

E cigarettes?

Postby domromer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Anyone here tride them? What did you think? My neighbor swears by them. I'm thinking they might be worth checking out if they get me off the death sticks. Not really sure how they work I see you can buy kits and singles.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Re: E cigarettes?

Postby JeffzeNub » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:54 pm

I have friends that smoke them and I have tried them, they aren't that bad, but I quit smoking a while ago.

However, my father who not only works for a tobacco company, has also been smoking since he was 16(he turned 60 this year), stopped cold turkey about 2 months ago and started using the e cig and seems to be doing okay with it. He had knee surgery and before the surgery they talked to him about the risks of smoking as you get older and I think it scared him.

So yea, definitely worth a try if you ask me. Most gas stations sell the kits and such now.
JeffzeNub
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby allsport1313 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:01 pm

I tried them too, but they never helped me quit my addiction. I realized i was just fooling myself and going from one fix to the next. I quit cold turkey five months ago, and I believe this is the only way to go if you are serious about moving on. It is SO easy to quit, you just have to want to. I recommend just making a clean cut on a 3 day weekend. You will feel like you are sick for 3 days, but that is a small price to pay for 15 years of life.
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby allsport1313 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:02 pm

Oh, and I never mentioned how amazing it feels to be smoke free now. Wouldn't go back to it for a million bucks.
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Postby vtbuzzz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:18 pm

With the E ciggs you are still at risk for most of the risks of nicotine use(stroke, heart disease, cancer, etc) and all the people I know who use them including my patients(I'm a respiratory therapist) all have not been successful in quitting. It's definitely trading one for the other. I know quitting is hard I did it myself. But going cold turkey and dealing with those crappy first 3 days isms the way to go. Clean everything you have related to smoking. Throw out all of your ashtrays, lighters, all things related to smoking unless they are also associated with something else. If you smoke normally after eating pick up another habit. Smoke while driving? Pick up one of those grip.donut things(it helps with grip strength and driving so 2 bonuses).
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:38 am

I have had an E-go for the past 6 months or so and haven't had a smoke since. In fact I have been slowly weaning myself off of the E-go as well and haven't had a puff in days...I highly recommend them, but don't get the 7-11 cheapies or BLU or whatever, get yourself a base E-go kit and a bottle of strong ass liquid (24 mg) so you need to puff it less often. The cheap pre-filled ones are known for having liquid with questionable ingredients that you probably don't wanna breath in. Much more info here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby JR » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:07 am

I don't smoke but a guy i know that switched to e cigs says it doesn't put as much harmful stuff like tar into the lungs. He feels that he breathes more easily now. Of course quitting nicotine altogether would allow even more air into your system but if you wanna give the competition an edge go ahead and don't breathe :-) I'm probably the best practiced on breathing disc golfer during competition. Man it's hard to film without breathing after running to a spot where you can film the entire flight if a disc. Then the putting... Four guys do their thing and i try to hold on mostly failing.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby domromer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:41 am

Well since I started this thread I've not smoked. I feel like shit, but I'm determined to stop. I've made a lot of big changes in my life over the past 18 months. I went totally vegetarian and have lost 45lbs. I didn't want to try too much at once so I waited to stop smoking. That and it was a lot easier to give up steak than smokes.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby riltim » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:50 am

Spend $9 on the following book, it worked for me. You don't need to trust me though, it has 5 stars after 945 reviews.

If reading isn't your thing it is available in audiobook and video formats.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easyw ... allen+carr
SOLF | Q/JLS | Buzzz | Comet | Wizard
riltim
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby allsport1313 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:50 pm

domromer wrote:Well since I started this thread I've not smoked. I feel like shit, but I'm determined to stop. I've made a lot of big changes in my life over the past 18 months. I went totally vegetarian and have lost 45lbs. I didn't want to try too much at once so I waited to stop smoking. That and it was a lot easier to give up steak than smokes.

That is so awesome man! It is a very short amount of time before it gets easier and easier (2 or 3 days for me). Remind yourself that your brain is wrong... you don't need a cigarette, you'll actually feel better without. I know you can do it!
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:59 pm

I quit cold turkey 2 weeks ago. I've quit before for multiple years, so I knew cold turkey was the way to go. I'm was pretty light smoker (2 to 5 a day) so I couldn't really step down. I bought the Carr book but quit before I had a chance to read it. I still want to smoke, but the cravings I oh last 3 minutes or so. I gave my lighters away to a lot of people so they would ask me how things are going.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby allsport1313 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:36 pm

:thumbup: Best of luck!
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:29 am

domromer wrote:Well since I started this thread I've not smoked. I feel like shit, but I'm determined to stop. I've made a lot of big changes in my life over the past 18 months. I went totally vegetarian and have lost 45lbs. I didn't want to try too much at once so I waited to stop smoking. That and it was a lot easier to give up steak than smokes.

Congrats! I did the e-cig thing for a while and it was OK at best. It didn't keep me from smoking, though. It just made me smoke less.

I was a two pack a day smoker for almost 20 years. I tried to quit several times with no lasting success. Then, a while back, I decided that I really didn't want to smoke any more. That turned out to be the key. Sounds stupid and simple, I know, but you have to truly be ready to not smoke. It can't be because other people tell you you shouldn't or any other external factors. It has to truly be something you want. I ended up at the doctor with severe back pain (turned out to be disc issues) and the first thing out of his mouth was, "I want to do a chest x-ray so we can rule out lung cancer". That day sucked, and I asked myself, "So, are you waiting for them to actually tell you you have lung cancer before you quit?" That was the first time I actually lost the desire to smoke and really saw myself as a non smoker.

I am NOT saying that made it easy to quit. I loooooved to smoke. I loved everything about it. I suffered through the very hard to deal with side effects of Chantix to finally quit. But it was the picture I now have in my head that I just am not a smoker anymore that has kept me quit.

Best of luck, man, it's tough but worth it! And you're a better man than me, I could never give up steak. If God didn't want us to eat cows, why are they soooo delicious?!?!?
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby JHern » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:06 am

allsport1313 wrote:...It is SO easy to quit, you just have to want to...

I disagree, it was the most difficult thing I've ever done in my entire life. I never went back again, didn't want to do it twice!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby domromer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:57 am

Well it's November 8 and still no smokes. I know this will sound fucked up but I think this is the longest I've gone without smokes since I started when I was 15. I think yesterday was the worst day yet. I woke up with a mind numbing headache, it lasted all day. I tried everything to make it better caffeine, food, beer, ugh the only relief was going to bed. Hopefully today will be easier I'm exhausted. If smokes are this tough to kick what must heroin be like!

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.