How to deal with the cold?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: How to deal with the cold?

Postby BLURR » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:31 am

Around these parts snow boots, merino wool base layer(s), thinsulate gloves and a flask of brandy works great to keep the winter chill at bay while playing dg in the winter time. As for slipping and sliding, that is all part of the fun. Nothing like making fun of your friends or yourself when you slip and fall on your ass.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby cubeofsoup » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:11 pm

For those more curious about the screw-boot thing here is a picture I found:

cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby Monkeypaws » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:56 pm

Here's a question: do your discs fly as far when it's cold as when it is warm?
Monkeypaws
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Shark

Postby mikes919 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Monkeypaws wrote:Here's a question: do your discs fly as far when it's cold as when it is warm?

No. But it probably has more to do with the fact that I'm wearing a bunch of layers, my grip isn't as good, and I can't loosen up as much. So I'm really just not throwing as hard. I don't think the temperature does much to affect the flight of the disc itself. Technically the air is denser but I don't know if it's enough to make a difference.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Postby JR » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:37 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote IIRC his words that the cold air reduces 5 % distance in the winter vs the summer. Cold also slows down and reduces muscles and muscle power.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Re: How to deal with the cold?

Postby kern9787 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:16 am

mikes919 wrote:Technically the air is denser but I don't know if it's enough to make a difference.

Air density can go both ways. More dense = more drag = less speed. More drag also = more lift = more glide.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Re: How to deal with the cold?

Postby mikes919 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:56 pm

kern9787 wrote:
mikes919 wrote:Technically the air is denser but I don't know if it's enough to make a difference.

Air density can go both ways. More dense = more drag = less speed. More drag also = more lift = more glide.

Right. But reducing speed decreases the lift much more than the change in air density increases it. Another way to think about it would be, what good is lift if the disc slows down earlier and LSS takes over. You'll slow down and hyzer out sooner, even if the disc floats in the air better at a given speed.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Postby Monkeypaws » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:33 pm

I just know as a former baseball player that certain conditions, especially warm breezy dry air,leads to more distance for baseballs than cold and damp. The dynamics are quite different though.
Monkeypaws
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Shark

Postby JR » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:11 am

There is a way around not being able to drink warm liquid from a thermos during a round. Getting a good enough thermos means that you don't have to put boiling water in it to have it stay warm for the event. Coffee machines limit the temperature of the water. That is still gonna feel bad but nothing prevents you from allowing the water to cool to suitable temperature before pouring it into the thermos.

I played against one guy last Saturday because nobody else showed up to the league because it was the first competition of this season on that course and people were unsure of others were coming. Needless to say the pace of playing was much faster than normal and i still managed to sip a cup of straight from the coffee machine too hot water during that round. Normally it is a two round event but we decided that one round was enough.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby domromer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:51 am

Bundle up in layers and play. Not much to it.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby iacas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:26 am

Monkeypaws wrote:I just know as a former baseball player that certain conditions, especially warm breezy dry air,leads to more distance for baseballs than cold and damp. The dynamics are quite different though.

Humid air is actually less dense than dry air.

And note that I'm talking about humidity - not water as a liquid, like fog or something.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby Parks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:03 pm

Liquid Fog sounds like a great name for a band.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:23 pm

cubeofsoup wrote:For those more curious about the screw-boot thing here is a picture I found:

That is not what I envisioned. Yay nc mild winters!
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby AcesAZ » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:31 pm

iacas wrote:
Monkeypaws wrote:I just know as a former baseball player that certain conditions, especially warm breezy dry air,leads to more distance for baseballs than cold and damp. The dynamics are quite different though.

And note that I'm talking about humidity - not water as a liquid, like fog or something.

Right, Generally warmer temps will have more humidity. Warmer air can hold more moisture. Water vapor is lighter then air. So in general warmer air a disc will travel further due to the less density of the air. Colder air is usually denser. Play ball golf in 95 degrees and humid, then go in 40 degrees and dry. A big difference.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:00 pm

AcesAZ wrote:
iacas wrote:

Right, Generally warmer temps will have more humidity. Warmer air can hold more moisture. Water vapor is lighter then air. So in general warmer air a disc will travel further due to the less density of the air. Colder air is usually denser. Play ball golf in 95 degrees and humid, then go in 40 degrees and dry. A big difference.

I notice the biggest difference when the temps drop down to the 30's and below. I offer absolutely NO scientific explanation for this, merely personal experience.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion