Everyone's favorite..How to get more distance?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Everyone's favorite..How to get more distance?

Postby CreemCheese » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:37 am

For starters I only throw right hand back hand drives, I know, it's a killer. My D is averaging around 240, max it has been 320. I have had people tell me both ways about the x-step (that it would be good or bad) and I'm not real sure how to do it anyway. Also, people have told me to keep my wrist more open and not curl my arm as much, but it feels like I grip lock it and it always goes to the right, but short too. Any advice on what I should try?
CreemCheese
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:26 am

The x-step will always yield more potential distance than not using a run up. getting used to it and being accurate with it will take some time. the general form of the x-step is outlined in writing in rick bays' article that can be found in the articles section. you could also see some visual interpretations of it in the throw analysis section and focus on the last 3 steps before the throw.

the basic form requires 3 steps.
1. right foot steps towards the target, toes ~90 degrees away from the target.
2. left foot crosses behind the right foot and a little past it, toes pointed more than 90 degrees and less than 180 degrees from the target.
3. right foot steps towards the target, toes between 45-90 degrees from the target.

what angles work for you will vary depending upon your style. also, be careful of the length of the steps as you do not want the last step to be too long.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby CreemCheese » Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:50 am

I do something similar to that currently, but my left foot does not cross my right, it just goes to about the same spot..it's kind of hard to explain..thank you though.
CreemCheese
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:35 pm

the key of the x-step is that the cross step forces your hips to close, and then they explode open after the last step (plant/pivot). the direction your toes on your left foot are pointing will determine how much your hips close. the reason the step should cross beyond your right foot is so that your hips WILL close no matter what the angle of your toes. if the step does not cross, to achieve proper hip rotation you will need to consciously force your hips to close which creates a variable that doesn't need to be there.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique