What am I missing?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What am I missing?

Postby kcco » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:03 am

So I am realatively new to disc golf, but am absolutely loving it so far. I currently have 7 discs: boss, wraith, sidewinder, wolf, buzz, omega putter, and Orion LS. I was lucky and found the champion sidewinder, wraith and the Orion LS! What discs am I missing that you would say are a pretty obvious hole in my current line-up?
kcco
Noob

Favorite Disc: Boss

Re: What am I missing?

Postby iacas » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:58 am

kcco wrote:So I am realatively new to disc golf, but am absolutely loving it so far. I currently have 7 discs: boss, wraith, sidewinder, wolf, buzz, omega putter, and Orion LS. I was lucky and found the champion sidewinder, wraith and the Orion LS! What discs am I missing that you would say are a pretty obvious hole in my current line-up?

I think you'll find that a lot of people will tell you to work on your form and get to know the discs you've got.

As more background, how far do you throw your Buzzz? How about your Sidewinder or Boss or Wraith?

(That's where my advice tops out - I'm new to the sport too - but others will likely ask you the distance question so I figured I might get that out of the way.)
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby mikes919 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:15 am

If you're a new player then I would recommend shelving the Boss and Wraith until you're throwing a bare minimum of 300+ feet with your other drivers on a consistent basis, on low and flat golf-type shots. The way you'll throw the Boss and Wraith as a beginner will only hurt your throwing form-- they might give you a little more distance now but you'll never improve. Learn to throw your other discs consistently, flat and level before you start messing with other stuff. If I'm telling someone what to throw as an absolute beginner I would probably give them slightly slower drivers than the Sidewinder or OLS, but they aren't bad discs to start with.

For midranges and putters, at first it's mostly about what feels comfortable in your hands. As you improve you'll no doubt drop the wolf, but it's fine when you're starting out.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Postby keltik » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:12 pm

You could check out some slower drivers. Have a look at the JLS, Leopard and Eagle.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby kcco » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Yeah, I have given up trying to throw the Boss for right now, though I can throw the Wraith reasonably well. I have been going to a wide open course and just throwing discs working on technique and that is helping a ton, I will keep doing that.
kcco
Noob

Favorite Disc: Boss

Postby Stringbean » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:50 am

Yeah, that is the best thing to do until you develop some consistency. You may also want to think about what weights work best for you.

How did you find so many discs? I've been playing for two years and have only found one disc. I've lost 5 discs in that time.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:02 am

That depends on the courses and the upkeep and vegetation and hole design. In some places certain areas of a hole collect common types of thrower error flight paths errant discs. And often that is the designer picked penalty in the risk/reward analysis. So that rough may be good in intimidating some from going in and picking the disc or plain old hiding the disc from sight. So when somebody really combs the area or gets lucky discs can be found. OTOH discs can be left on a manicured fairway. It has happened. But rough driving fields are lost disc magnets.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Stringbean » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm

The only disc I have found was on a manicured fairway. It was an ugly, pro wraith at a crowded Dretzka Park. It's now my go to driver.

Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Return to General Discussion