critique please...

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: critique please...

Postby JR » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:35 am

Once your balance and body coordination allows good timing and enough brain processing power to eek out everything out of the muscles everywhere the result will be dozens of feet. At least it was for me so it is definitely a worthy goal. Enough to bump you up a distance plateau meaning you can power down and reach your current maximum with much more consistency and accuracy than your max D gives you now. That is why it has to be a high priority in any training. That is easier than 360 spins that almost every distance thrower uses. They do it because reaching farther back increases distance. Straight arm reach back vs your current reach back distance. And 360 spin vs straight arm reach back gives even more D. Within the limits of needing enough routine to allow good timing and muscle guidance. Aiming would be nice too and that is the killer because the brain just is not fast enough for movements that aren't automated. There first gaining a good form and then lots of reps come in.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby cubeofsoup » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:56 pm

pask, gratz on the improvement, you look way better. Long story short you are skipping the reach back.

Comparing you to Schusterick, you seem to be of a similar build so we'll go there:

Frame 1 and 2 are your current "reach back". Get your hand off the disc and get an actual reach back going on. This also needs to happen later, like when your plant happens. Look at Schusterick's first frame. His weight is more forward than yours also, this allows for more of his momentum going into the disc.

At his full reach back, you are half way through your swing. Frame 4 and on you seem to be pretty good. Notice how his follow through is uber controlled though. He rotates a ton and doesn't translate momentum forward. Slow your approach speed and get a full reach back. Get yourself into the position he is in during frame 1 and you will probably crush it.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:33 pm

I too expect a bomb out of pask reaching back like Will once the balance and automation plus timing fire together. Some are strong enough in the balance muscles and good enough in body control that they can switch immediately and the rest of us may need months to deliver good form without needing to think of the leg work and balance so that you can accelerate the best from great muscle control in the snap. Which is not easy because the brain is not fast enough to consciously control everything so it should be reserved to when it counts.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby pask2155 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:02 pm

cubeofsoup wrote:pask, gratz on the improvement, you look way better. Long story short you are skipping the reach back.

Comparing you to Schusterick, you seem to be of a similar build so we'll go there:

Frame 1 and 2 are your current "reach back". Get your hand off the disc and get an actual reach back going on. This also needs to happen later, like when your plant happens. Look at Schusterick's first frame. His weight is more forward than yours also, this allows for more of his momentum going into the disc.

At his full reach back, you are half way through your swing. Frame 4 and on you seem to be pretty good. Notice how his follow through is uber controlled though. He rotates a ton and doesn't translate momentum forward. Slow your approach speed and get a full reach back. Get yourself into the position he is in during frame 1 and you will probably crush it.

Dude this is awesome! Thanks so much! I have been working on this and obviously my timing is all screwed up now. Lol. But I am still hitting it maybe once out of every 5 throws. I am averaging 330'-400' and had a couple got 420'. I know that spread is crazy but I'm changing the whole feel of the throw right now. But check out this video... Obviously I am very new to this new reach back but let me know if I'm on the right track.

If I had to critique myself I know my arm speed is slow and I need to work on that but everything feels awkward right now. Also I think I need to not take such a large step into the throw. That would put my plant foot Down earlier and I think my power and timing would be fixed. But met me know what you guys think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcFPOxeiU10
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby cubeofsoup » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Smaller step and get your left hand off the disc. Reach back happens as the right foot cross the left leg and reaches to plant. I have actually noticed that the disc stays almost still and the players body moves around it. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAVPbs and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dz6LD9KWjo. If you watch the side view it looks kinda wild, the disc is almost perfectly static and they keep moving towards their plant and then boom, they are fully reached back.

Once your right foot is on the ground you should be fully reached back, then there is a shift of weight. The hips and shoulders lead and make a straight move towards the target, bracing onto the right heel. For info on this watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUOq09T2q54&t=45m23s
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:33 am

You reach back farther for more distance potential now but check out where your head i pointed and how it limits the amount of shoulder turn that you can get and the foot orientation of the landing of the x and plant steps. The nose and x and plant step foot pointing direction should be 180 degrees away from the target when you reach back the farthest for long distance golf throws.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Video Critique