DGCR makes me want to bang my head against a wall

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: DGCR makes me want to bang my head against a wall

Postby iacas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:26 am

keltik wrote:man that slow moving trainwreck of iacas v cgkdisc about ratings is still going.

I bowed out awhile ago, as soon as I realized he had really, really non-factual information about golf's ratings and slope. Whether it was simply 20+ years out of date or just really bad information, I don't know.

I still think disc golf courses could have slope - some hazards will have a greater effect on poorer disc golfers than 1000-rated disc golfers - but I don't really care about disc golf's ratings system all that much. I just wanted to correct the statements made about golf, and I do think it would be nice if casual round ratings were more accessible/available, and if there was some sort of way to handicap casual matches.

Edit: I don't think that thread is an example of a "bad" thing, btw. I think it's been well discussed and polite and there's been a lot of information and examples shared. It's been a good thread, IMO.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:34 am

I think you guys had two different lines of thinking about how slope works and were kinda talking past each other. Although I do agree with you Iacas as DG definitely has slope and SSA kinda hides it making it look like there is no slope.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby T.Hizzle » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:38 am

For those of you interested in the history of DGCR.

http://rattlingchains.com/?p=2074

It was pointed to me that the author left out how the mods fist themselves daily. Maybe in part 2....
T.Hizzle
Noob

Favorite Disc: Magnet, Duh

Postby iacas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I think you guys had two different lines of thinking about how slope works and were kinda talking past each other. Although I do agree with you Iacas as DG definitely has slope and SSA kinda hides it making it look like there is no slope.

Perhaps we were. I still wish I'd gotten an actual answer to my "Course A" and "Course B" examples, because while having 18 holes of such examples does not exist (it'd be the most boring course in the world, obviously), I still think there are ways in which that type of situation can arise often enough to create a "slope" in how hazards affect players of different abilities differently.

For example, a water hazard that requires a 300' throw to clear with the basket in the wide open space 75' beyond the water. The water doesn't even exist for the pro - he throws it 375' and averages a 2.7 or something. The water affects the 850-rated player like crazy, though, and he averages a 4.5 because he has to go around the pond or something.

But fill in the pond and the pro still averages 2.7, and the 850-rated player averages 3.3.

BAM. Slope.

But I don't really care enough to keep pushing that issue, so I dropped it. :D

FWIW, I've talked with Blake about ways to kind of revitalize DGR, and it may or may not happen, but there's no denying at all that right now DGCR is "winning" if you define "winning" normally and not on some weird moral or intellectual grounds. :) So it is what it is...

iacas
Tree Magnet

Postby Parks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:02 pm

iacas wrote:FWIW, I've talked with Blake about ways to kind of revitalize DGR, and it may or may not happen, but there's no denying at all that right now DGCR is "winning" if you define "winning" normally and not on some weird moral or intellectual grounds. :) So it is what it is...

I think its just a quality vs. quantity thing.

On the other hand, I do really like the thing that site was started for. The course reviews with pictures are actually really helpful when traveling to a new area. Its just the forums that are the inescapable wasteland of suck.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Parks wrote:
iacas wrote:FWIW, I've talked with Blake about ways to kind of revitalize DGR, and it may or may not happen, but there's no denying at all that right now DGCR is "winning" if you define "winning" normally and not on some weird moral or intellectual grounds. :) So it is what it is...

I think its just a quality vs. quantity thing.

On the other hand, I do really like the thing that site was started for. The course reviews with pictures are actually really helpful when traveling to a new area. Its just the forums that are the inescapable wasteland of suck.

I couldn't agree more. I kinda wish Blake or someone would revamp the disc review part of this site. Add pictures and give an overall rating plus add your own experienced flight ratings. I think it could help this site.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby iacas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:50 pm

keltik wrote:I couldn't agree more. I kinda wish Blake or someone would revamp the disc review part of this site. Add pictures and give an overall rating plus add your own experienced flight ratings. I think it could help this site.

Disc reviews were a big part of what I had/have in mind. But whatever... really not the topic here, so I'll shaddup.

iacas
Tree Magnet

Postby Leopard » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:45 pm

Blake's a gear/technique guy. Tim's a pro developer. No question which site would become "the big one".

I think Solt has taken on the torch of what DGR was originally intended for. The forums here are definitely the high point. A true disc review site is too development-intensive these days.
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby juju » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:01 pm

iacas wrote:
keltik wrote:man that slow moving trainwreck of iacas v cgkdisc about ratings is still going.

I bowed out awhile ago, as soon as I realized he had really, really non-factual information about golf's ratings and slope. Whether it was simply 20+ years out of date or just really bad information, I don't know.

Chuck has never been wrong about anything he has said or posted, never. :D
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby iacas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:11 pm

juju wrote:Chuck has never been wrong about anything he has said or posted, never. :D

That's one of a few comments that make me wonder about the "story" with Chuck. Is he not well liked? Not well respected? Not lived up to the things people expected him to do in his role with the PDGA? A convenient guy to bash a little from time to time? What's the story?

For the record I disagreed and found his posts lacking knowledge when he talked about golf, but have no basis to assume that anything he said was wrong or inaccurate about disc golf, so I took those comments for what they were worth.

iacas
Tree Magnet

Postby Parks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Leopard wrote:I think Solt has taken on the torch of what DGR was originally intended for.

What does Solt do that carries the torch? I haven't seen that name in a while.

[edit]Just checked and saw the Bearclaws and talkdg links in his profile, but those don't seem to be what you are talking about.[/edit]
Last edited by Parks on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:18 pm

Leopard wrote:Blake's a gear/technique guy. Tim's a pro developer. No question which site would become "the big one".

I think Solt has taken on the torch of what DGR was originally intended for. The forums here are definitely the high point. A true disc review site is too development-intensive these days.

by developer I take it you mean Web developer/programmer/computer scientist type.

EDIT: I thought Solty was a volunteer fireman.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:23 pm

DGR is hosted on Solty's servers, TalkDG was/is also.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby bcr123psu » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:31 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:DGR is hosted on Solty's servers, TalkDG was/is also.

Still is.
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby Leopard » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:55 pm

Mike's got good stuff going with Mr. Disc Golf.

ReviewDG.com is the modern take on the disc review section.
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.