The Temple Of ROC!!!!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Temple Of ROC!!!!

Postby LumberJack » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:40 am

turso wrote:What to look for in a KC pro roc? Gonna use it as a OS/wind mid. Just wondering about dome variance and how it affects flight.

I look for stiff KC's, with a stiff flight plate, a bit of shoulder and hopefully no dome. Gotta get them dirty because they are slick. I'm fortunate to still have a few 11x KC's and they are exactly what I want/expect from a Roc. I dislike dome for any wind fighting duties. In DX, I want them flat flat flat and as stiff as possible.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby chainsmoker » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:09 am

I broke my Dx Roc that I use for hyzerflips and turnovers which sucks because it takes me forever to break in a Roc enough that it holds a turn. I have 2 backups but they are over 10 years old so I decided to go back to the 2 dx Rocs,Esp Comet,X Comet lineup. On the plus side the newest course in my area has a ton of trees so my Rocs will break in quicker.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby LYang » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:41 am

Anyone gotten to beat in a production Star Rancho Roc? I know its only been some months since their release, but I was wondering if they beat in the same as the baseline plastics. I'd be doing it myself but with a newborn, I haven't found much time for anything but occasional indoor drills.
LYang
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby tjh0188 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:18 pm

After a few months of play my star rancho is still pretty much the same. Domey 176 and very stable.
Pure-VP-Fuse-Mace-River-Saint Pro-Firebird-Flow-Giant
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: River

Postby LumberJack » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:32 am

I'm on the lookout! Has anyone come across a store that has a selection of flat and stiff DX Rocs? I'd like to pick up 3-5 for next season. I picked up a couple glow DX and a couple regular production DX this past season and while they're OK... they aren't exactly what I want. I've flattened all of them out using water but they aren't anywhere near stiff, they all have that plyable top to them. Champ and Star Rocs aren't the same and I've come across the same thing with KC's, firm rim...floppy top...high shoulder(which is typical) and slight dome...

Flat Stiff DX Rocs are where it's at!
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby iowapat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:22 am

LumberJack wrote:I'm on the lookout! Has anyone come across a store that has a selection of flat and stiff DX Rocs? I'd like to pick up 3-5 for next season. I picked up a couple glow DX and a couple regular production DX this past season and while they're OK... they aren't exactly what I want. I've flattened all of them out using water but they aren't anywhere near stiff, they all have that plyable top to them. Champ and Star Rocs aren't the same and I've come across the same thing with KC's, firm rim...floppy top...high shoulder(which is typical) and slight dome...

Flat Stiff DX Rocs are where it's at!

I've been stocking up on the flat top KC glow rocs...gotta love those flat stiffy ones
iowapat
Tree Magnet

Postby victorb » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:48 am

I must be the only person who doesn't like flat tops. I think they are too flippy for a Roc and generally don't glide very well.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby mikes919 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:54 am

I was never a fan of the super flat ones either, I never really got the obsession with ching rocs. My favorite rocs are the original '05 Special Blends which are the ontario mold and fairly domey. They are straighter flyers with more glide. I also used to throw 9X's and the ones I had were pretty domey as well.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Postby martinb » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:51 pm

well, now that i have my stash of ontario rocs delivered, i can now say that the ontario roc mold is being retired. if you like domey less stable rocs that glide well and hold the turnover line then grab em while you can. :( i was bummed when i heard that......
Play Disc Golf
martinb
Noob

Favorite Disc: putter

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:34 pm

victorb wrote:I must be the only person who doesn't like flat tops. I think they are too flippy for a Roc and generally don't glide very well.

Not a fan at all
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby mzuleger » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Anyone know which rocs are older... the ones that say "midrange" or "multi-purpose"? I'm thinking it's "midrange" but I'm not 100%.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby BLURR » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:31 pm

martinb wrote:well, now that i have my stash of ontario rocs delivered, i can now say that the ontario roc mold is being retired. if you like domey less stable rocs that glide well and hold the turnover line then grab em while you can. :( i was bummed when i heard that......

Where did you hear that the Ontario mold was being retired?
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby dgdave » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:37 pm

Mid range older

Ontario mold is going away again. Its the truth
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby BLURR » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:08 pm

dgdave wrote:Ontario mold is going away again. Its the truth

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:40 pm

I saw my dubs partner throwing McBeth Champ Roc yesterday in the wind and it looked to fly great. He says that for him underpowered it flies straight and if he uses full power it gets unpredictable sometimes flipping a little and sometimes not. The disc had some molding imperfection in having a small dip in the wing. He is a power thrower. In the cold weather he threw an AJ Star Destroyer on the island hole in Tali to 530'. It starts with an anny and the disc probably landed flat or with a very mild hyzer. I don't know how far exactly he could throw. Had i remembered the existence of this disc i would have bought it at the store and now i know what to look for with the store credit he won for our team. The disc looked like a regular DX Rancho Roc in shape. Nice.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment