Glo Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Glo Bag

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:16 am

I just finished assembling a Glo Bag, that is, a separate set of discs in its own bag to be used just for Glo rounds. This was a fun.

It has been a few years since I glowed. In the old days it required glo discs and a black light or camera flash and was, quite frankly, a pain. Only a few models of glo discs were readily available and they glowed with various degrees of brightness (some barely at all). With so few choices I needed to manipulate my game to the discs, making do with what I had. It reminded me of being handed a few items of clothing from someone else's wardrobe, where nothing fit well: the shoes were way too small, the hat so big it fell off, the sleeves went past my fingertips, etc.

Playing with the old glo discs was also frustrating. The brightness was so poor it was hard to follow the flight of the disc in the air, making the search on the ground too much work (glos still stick out on the ground when you get close to them but if you have no idea whether your drive flipped or hyzered it leaves a lot of area to search).

But now with the tiny glo lights that tape on a disc, any disc is suitable for glowing. The lights work so well, it is easier to follow a lighted disc at night than it is in bright daylight. Even landing in a pile of leaves is no problem as the light shines out.

My local club has a glo league on Wednesdays which uses a particular course configuration. So prior to taping lights on discs I took a stack of back up discs out to test various choices on on particular holes, in short, I held try outs. Then once I had picked out a full bag (18 discs) I played a few practice rounds and local leagues with them. After shooting well with the new configuration I feel confident in the them.

The alternative would have been to add lights to my tournament discs. I rejected this as adding or taking off lights is too much work. Glo lights don't noticeably affect the flight patterns of discs but they are still not legal for tournaments and I play in a tournament most weekends. I have gone to a GoCart for my tournament discs and not wanting to trade in and out, I put the glo discs into a Revo Bag.

Being perhaps a bit obsessive, I purposely maintain 2nd and 3rd string tournament discs (back up set ups in case of loss). Only a few of these discs made the glo bag, mostly the ones I want to know better or the ones I want to break in more. Fortunately, having played for so long I had plenty of options to choose from. Being sponsored helps too. :D
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Re: Glo Bag

Postby dgdave » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:58 am

So, what's in it?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:55 pm

dgdave wrote:So, what's in it?

A pretty normal array (for me).

Rattler, UV, grip stamped
Magnets, Soft Hards and Hard Softs, all grip stamped
Buzzzes, Z and X
Rogue
1st run Z Tracker
Z Flash
Z Crushes
Z Reaper
Nukes, Z's and ESP's

The past few years I have moved to avoiding Yellow (too hard to find) or Glo/Clear (bad color for snow and I don't like to trade out discs for the season) but exclusively for a Glo bag with lights attached they are fine. So I have a good dose of these colors in discs I really like everything about except the color.

Btw the whole idea of players evaluating the disc selections of other players they have not seen play is a bit strange. But for any of you who believe I should throw different discs, feel free to point out the error of my ways. :lol:
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Postby dgdave » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Just curious really.

I think you should add a tracer and mrx for fun ;)
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby keltik » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Is glow only popular in the midwest? I don't think I've encountered a glow league in NC. maybe I just don't get out enough.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:15 pm

I love the Glo Z nuke for the ability to get bright and staying that way longer than anything i've run across. The large wing has so much glo material that when a photon launches it reloads the neighbors so many times over in a chain reaction that the Axis and the Ion Eclipse versions or Glo Wizards can't quite match it. For Glo only performance. Lights are a different matter and so far the lights do not seem to do much for any glo discs in charging them. So it is one or the other not both vor visibility.

While i love the flight of the Glo Z Stalker and Buzz for being more OS than regular Z the glo performance is somewhat short of the best results. The Nuke and the Eclipse. They are fairly close to the glo Wizards.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:20 am

JR wrote:I love the Glo Z nuke for the ability to get bright and staying that way longer than anything i've run across. The large wing has so much glo material that when a photon launches it reloads the neighbors so many times over in a chain reaction that the Axis and the Ion Eclipse versions or Glo Wizards can't quite match it. For Glo only performance. Lights are a different matter and so far the lights do not seem to do much for any glo discs in charging them. So it is one or the other not both vor visibility.

While i love the flight of the Glo Z Stalker and Buzz for being more OS than regular Z the glo performance is somewhat short of the best results. The Nuke and the Eclipse. They are fairly close to the glo Wizards.

If anything glows more than a DGA/Whamo Midnight Flyer then I have not seen it. Even now, some 30 years after they were made they still glo vibrantly. Just exposed to interior house lights they shine and of course more so under a blacklight.

In modern day glo discs the glo material doesn't seem to distribute evenly within a run, so some discs may glow a lot and others much less (UV does this too). Of course, discs are made from melted pellets of various plastics, blended together and squirted into a mold which cools into a disc's permanent shape (aka injection molding). It is surprising how little it takes to change the flight pattern of a disc. Just a small amount of glo material or even a color change and the disc behaves differently.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Postby JR » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:11 am

I've not seen Midnight Flyer how does it fly? Rattlerish? I wonder how those ping a radiation meter.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:22 pm

JR wrote:I've not seen Midnight Flyer how does it fly? Rattlerish? I wonder how those ping a radiation meter.

Although I own several, I have never thrown a Midnight Flyer. They look like a smaller diameter Ultimate disc and I know those don't fit my hand.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion