Throwing 450+...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Throwing 450+...

Postby keltik » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:15 am

we all want to know what to do next. just keep reading and keep throwing. and maybe it's time to work on other shots besides big d BH. can you throw rollers? FH? OH? pancakes? skips? scoobers? any of the 8 varieties of hyzer? hyzer-flip turnovers? grenades? thumb rollers? how's your putting?

there is plenty to work on besides Big D.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby pask2155 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:10 pm

JR wrote:Seeing as there are 500' hyzer throwers and flat shots go much farther than hyzers 500'+ flat shots are a reality and achievable. For you there are form issues to be changed mainly reaching back farther and actively turning the hips and the shoulders to the right of neutral before the disc has left later than the right pec position i imagine. i would say that you have 450' line drives in you based on the videos i've seen. Added distance is often a matter of getting on or more form issues right. So are you also moving the wrist actively to the right right before the rip and trying to stop the wrist abruptly with a steely stop? There is something to work on and those alone might push you up there. And never underestimate the sequence of events and timing many here call it the rhythm so that may help things to click for some too so it's worth mentioning.

After you've improved on the above topics you might not be at 450' but you could be. Let's see about what we can do net when we get there. If we run out of things to try hire a coach :-) Blake said that all throws beyond about 530' have a degree of luck in them in how the wind behaves and the best throwers can get up to that distance despite non optimal conditions fairly well. Not in those words but that is the idea.

What's a steely stop?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby dgdave » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:14 pm

I was in the 450+ range a few years back. I have pretty much not changed anything except I'm not working out/exercising/eating right like I was. Now I'm right around 400 with occasionally hitting big drives when I'm on.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Parks » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:20 pm

pask2155 wrote:What's a steely stop?

Something that you shouldn't try to force. It happens more from trying to hold onto the disc and putting your weight into the disc rather than something you're actively trying to do, at least until you really get the feel of the hit.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:15 pm

I thought the steeley stop was more of a FH technique.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Parks » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:40 pm

What Beto does is called a Steely Dan.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:50 am

FH is more spin critical than BH so there stopping (trying to) the wrist quickly to launch the disc pivot between the fingers (momentum shift from the body to the disc) ensures best possible spin rate. Efficiency of the transfer of the momentum along with the angle change of the arm movement from back to front to the side. That same efficiency can be aimed for BH but there are different techniques to using the wrist and not having a strong wrist BH i see little added distance and a little later fade when i get a good stop. Having a stronger wrist FH the execution is easier and more consistent and the results are shown more brutally in case of a missed stop because of the inherent spin and accuracy demands of FH. That tells something about my accuracy FH :-) So you should try different methods of wrist use to see which works the best for you. Some allow free movement of the wrist from back to neutral, some back to right of neutral and some don't allow bending back much at all and snap to the right of neutral. Hyper spin is the name of the latter form. So far personally wrist has been one of my major concerns technique wise and i think i might have room to improve there. Because my major malfunction of getting the hips to turn at high speeds is hampered by having too straight knees often which is correctable but my damaged back ain't.

Physics wise trying to stop the wrist comes from Newtonian laws of movement. Anything that moves ain't gonna stop without interference so if you froze in place the disc would still pivot between the fingers and that is a mega quick movement because which weighs less and moves faster with the same momentum in case of a theoretical perfect momentum transfer (not gonna happen without a gorilla grip) a person+disc or just a disc? 175 grams is a little less than a thrower :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Technique