Driver help for newb

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Driver help for newb

Postby PMantle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:46 am

money 21 wrote:i might hav missed it but what plastic is your cyclone? I would pick up one of the other 2 plastic to complement it. same with the ass get a some in other plastics. weird thing about disc golf different plastic fly differently.

It's Elite X. I may have two of them if I can find the one I lost. I can only get that or D locally. The A-SS I have now is D and it's already beat to hell. New one is Z or ESP to be purchased soon.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby PMantle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:03 pm

From Altitude, I got a Valk, Beast, S-OLS and Wildcat. Got the last one because the rim? Felt like the cyclone and thought maybe that's why I throw it so well. I at least will have some things to work with. Thanks to you all who responded and to the site for allowing me to find that Altitude sale.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby PMantle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:51 pm

I have now thrown the new stuff once. Appears my arm is what it is. Basically everything goes the same distance. A-SS is the longest by a tiny bit. The Archon has now been thrown a bit and is not fading out so bad anymore. Have thrown some personal bests on a few holes where the wind would kill the A-SS.

Beast and Valk are the same for my arm. The Orion LS is easier to throw than either for some reason. Maybe normal variation? I'm hoping the Beast gets beat in through these workouts. The Wildcat looks to have promise in wind for me.

In general, brand new discs suck for me. Especially in the more durable plastics. I'll keep working on form, and will continue to throw the Cyclones I have on downwind holes and long wooded ones.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:59 pm

see if you can get a comet or flying squirrel from some one. they are very good at rewarding good form and punishing bad so are real good teachers.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby PMantle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:05 am

money 21 wrote:see if you can get a comet or flying squirrel from some one. they are very good at rewarding good form and punishing bad so are real good teachers.

Funny you say that. I have a comet coming in today from a board member. Got it and some putters from a classifieds ad. Not sure what to drop from the bag to use it. I guess my Buzzz could use a break.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:29 pm

PMantle wrote:
money 21 wrote:see if you can get a comet or flying squirrel from some one. they are very good at rewarding good form and punishing bad so are real good teachers.

Funny you say that. I have a comet coming in today from a board member. Got it and some putters from a classifieds ad. Not sure what to drop from the bag to use it. I guess my Buzzz could use a break.

describe how the buzz flies for you.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:58 pm

It can be a shock how stringent the Comet is as a teacher. No mercy at all for form flaws.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:26 pm

money 21 wrote:
PMantle wrote:

describe how the buzz flies for you.

Pretty straight with a little fade at the end. Longer than I expected a mid to be. I rarely use it. Seems like I always see a shot for another disc.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:08 pm

the comet should turn before fading back. throw the buzz more it will lower your scores.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 am

Actually some Comets should not turn at all up to at least 330' like new Zs. And those maintain their HSS for a long long time.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:06 am

money 21 wrote:the comet should turn before fading back. throw the buzz more it will lower your scores.

I'll try. I just have trouble picturing when to use it. I have never liked the feel of it though. Should I be power gripping it or fan?
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:08 pm

PMantle wrote:
money 21 wrote:the comet should turn before fading back. throw the buzz more it will lower your scores.

I'll try. I just have trouble picturing when to use it. I have never liked the feel of it though. Should I be power gripping it or fan?

if you don't like the feel then maybe it is not the mid for you. I power grip my mids when i want more distance out of them and fan grip when i need to hit a real tight line. take the comet and the buzz to a feild and throw them back and forth for a while and see how they fly with each grip.

most of the time I throw my mids for drive where i don't want alot of action in the air, or not getting a bogey is more important then getting a birdie. i don't have a real big arm and throw my mids between 280-325.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:43 am

The Comet is super sensitive to unclean releases and punishes hard immediately on the slightest error like the bottom of the disc scraping the fingers. While i have gotten clean rips out of power grips i get way fewer mess ups from power grip with little index finger pressure. It might be my arm injuries that make getting clean releases from fan grip rare for me. I get clean releases most often with the Comet with the index finger being fairly loose and not wholly on the rim the middle finger being fanned and the ring finger stacking the pinky with a moderate grip power. I get reasonably good results with a two finger power grip.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:37 am

I threw the comet in a field for a bit yesterday. It goes ITB immediately. Stratus and Cobra will sit. Buzzz stays for now.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby PMantle » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:11 pm

Sorry for getting so off topic, but I played 18 at lunch today on a really short course. Had my first every 3 birdie 9, and made 4 over all. 3 of the approaches/tee shots were with the comet. It might be my new favorite disc.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment