Driver help for newb

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Driver help for newb

Postby Dbuntu » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:52 pm

I really like the Comet too. If you're like me you will eventually drop the Buzz. The Comet gives a lot more touch on throws; laying up right nicely while the Buzz just seems to blow by a lot. I guess they each have a place, but I found myself pulling out the Buzz way less often after picking up the Comet and eventually just stopped carrying it.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby PMantle » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:14 pm

I carried the buzzz today. Did not throw it once. I have a Sentinal that falls left if I need that shot as long as I don't throw it too hard. The two seem to go together well.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby money 21 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:43 pm

maybe a disc like the mako or coyote would be a better stable mid for you. I never really like either the buzz or the roc but ended up falling in love with the scout.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby PMantle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:03 am

money 21 wrote:maybe a disc like the mako or coyote would be a better stable mid for you. I never really like either the buzz or the roc but ended up falling in love with the scout.

Well, so far, it looks like between Tracker/Sentinal and Comet/Wedge, I have what I need on the local course. I'm not selling the Buzzz just yet.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:43 am

tracker should be longer the the sent. eventually.
Last edited by money 21 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby PMantle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:49 am

money 21 wrote:tracker should be loner the the sent. eventually.

Not following. I realize it's more of a driver, but it does neat things as a utility disc. I can't handle anything faster with that kind of stability. When thrown softly, it cuts hard left which is needed on some holes I play. Great forehand out of trouble disc. I find I'm using it more and more these days after thinking I'd sell it at first. The Sentinal is similar at shorter distances. If thrown hard, the fade is really late.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:07 am

sorry ment to say longer.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby PMantle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:17 am

money 21 wrote:sorry ment to say longer.

Oh, yes it is, and maybe I'm not listing them right. I listed them together as my stable/overstable pair. Comet and Wedge as my more understable right turners. Between the few drivers I carry, the 4 above and my new putters, I have about all the distances i encounter covered. I dropped my Leo and Stratus, as my 2 Cyclones seems to do well as either driver or fairway driver.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:46 pm

can't go wrong with clones.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby PMantle » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Threw a personal best on a hole today with a Teebird. A freaking 7 speed fairway driver. This disc buying thing is baffling. On any given day, one of 7 different of my discs could be my best driver. :oops:

Oh, and I now have two Beasts. if I just saw video of me throwing them, I would have guessed the pro was a Firebird and the Dx was a Roadrunner. They are THAT different.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:03 am

DX Beasts are different to the other plastics when new and they break in to super flippy soon. It is a modified Valk after all and DX Valk turns to a roller after one hit.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:23 am

I buy that they are similar, but the rims are different in size and shape. My Orion is much closer to my pro Beast than my former Valk was. Anyway this is fun and frustrating at the same time.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Of course they are they added width to the wing to make the Beast faster for example and they've changed the Beast from the original mold to the new mold and they've become more overstable at least in the harder plastic since so i call the not flipping at 400' Beasts the third kind of Beast. Which may be due to replacing the mold or "the stabilization process" whatever that is.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Still searching. Just threw 4 sets of 7 discs on a football field. The big surprise? A brand new Teebird never finished out of 3rd. It won once. The only trends I've noticed:
Archon is the longest disc I own when I throw it properly. It's my best calm condition driver, and is great into a little wind.
A-ss and Archangel are very long down wind when I have room right. Worthless otherwise unless I want a roller.
My pro-Beast almost seems mislabeled it's so overstable for me. It is even more stable than my Wildcat.
Wildcat is my most consistent distance disc into a wind. It turns over without crashing and then comes back just a little.
My DX Beast throws like an Archangel.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:09 pm

The Beast is faster than the Archangel so it is suggesting that you don't have the power to get everything out of the Beast that it can deliver. The Pro Beast sounds like a good headwind driver and straight then left finishing disc at this point. The DX Beast will break in fast and a lot so the role it can play will change so i'd beat that in more to see if it will become longer for you for distance shots.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment