Am I doing it right

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Am I doing it right

Postby Big Tone » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:27 pm

Damn JR! Just point out what I’m missing in my bag why don't ya!

... Although, you did nail it spot on for the one disc I seemed to be missing in my current line up of disc. There was one hole I wished I had a very OS mid/utility for this past weekend and I paid for it with a bogey.... both rounds. I did really well IMO tho, 53/55/53/54 to finish 3 under for the tournament (tied for 3rd). I'm extremely glad I threw the stratus in the bag. Was VERY handy this weekend actually.

After seeing some of these other players keeping up distance wise with blizzard disc to my PD's, I've decided to try a few of them out to see how they fare for me. With my winnings from the tourney, I picked up a blizzard Wraith and Destroyer (155/153, bubbles in rim only) to play around with. I assume I should look for an US compliment (maybe Katana) to them if one should make my bag. Should I consider picking up distance drivers in normal weights/plastics too?

I need to find that OS mid/utility as well.... suggestions? (XXX, FB, Banshee, Drone, Zone, Whippet, etc...)
Big Tone
Noob

Postby keltik » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:13 pm

your bag looks great overall. clean and simple. don't sweat putting in something like a stratus. flippy utility discs are kind of a lost art.

as far as Overstable utility discs get a driver. which one I can't tell you. but there are two types, Type I: xXx & FB, these fade out of the hand immediately and do not go very far. Type II: Predator/Banshee, these discs will hold a straight line for a fair distance and then fade hard. which type you choose depends on what you will use the disc for, what type of courses you play (wooded, open etc.), and your local environment (terrain, elevation, prevalence of wind etc.)

I bag a xXx but I don't use it a lot since I play a lot of wooded courses. I tend to use my flippy utility disc more because I generally need a disc that I can throw easily on weird lines with limited range of motion.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Big Tone » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks for the run down there Keltik. I really wasnt thinking about the OS disc in that fashion.

My 3 local courses span the range from all out open, an even mix, to "did you bring your chainsaw".

I'm leaning more torwards the xXx or FB type of disc as I have this weird S-PD in my bag that has this crazy flat top to it and a huge blunt nose that kind of flies that straight then super hard fade line for me. Anyone else have or seen these "freaks"?

If I would of thought about it at the end of the tourney, I would of picked up one of the CFR glow Champ FB's they had for sale. My buddy got one, maybe i'll give his a shot for a few rounds.
Big Tone
Noob

Postby keltik » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:32 pm

the PD you describe sounds like the "test configuration" or christmas stamps.

the Type I OS discs are really great at thumbers, fh rollers and skip shots. There are other shots they excel at, but I can't think of them right now. most people will tell you to stay away from OS mids since they end up being a disc for "this one shot on this one hole at this one course". truthfully these situations shots can be just as easily handled by say a Firebird that is powered down. I've been hearing that the more recent runs of FBs have been flat topped and more OS. The xXx is a hog no matter the shape.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby JR » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:41 am

Based on what you told i'd pick a different disc to the beefy PD meaning the more different the better thus the XXX. It is a driver but it is not that long so it is in long mid territory but flying so fast and being so overstable it will skip a lot and high. So for faster stops and not skipping as much a true mid like the Gator should work but not in DX. That breaks in to flip in headwinds quickly despite a lack of cosmetic damage. Gator and XXX or for greater separation Pig and XXX should work. I recommend the Pig over the Zone because of the speed difference. The Pig is so much slower that it skips way less so you have a skipping and not so much at all skipping overstable disc. Unless you throw the Pig in a fashion that helps it to skip which is possible. I got a skip ace with the Pig this summer with a 195' hole landing at 75 or so degrees hyzer.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Big Tone » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:43 am

The beefy PD was strictly in there to cover what I want out of a xxx/fb. So that should be a perfect swap out. After doing some research last night, I was actually leaning more torwards the xXx over a FB. I know I should probably get one in opto for the extra durability/over stability, but I really like the way GL feels in the hand. I can't imagine on a disc like this that it would make that big of a difference unless it was in a base line plastic. Am I wrong for thinking that way?

I actually picked up a pig a few months ago from the used section at my local shop. I really liked how it felt in the hand and interchanged it with my rhyno for a few weeks. I finally setteled on one due to limited bag space. I wouldn't think it would be necessary to carry both a pig and rhyno, would it?
Big Tone
Noob

Postby keltik » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:52 am

I've only thrown Optos but if you like the GL then get it. the xXx is a blunt object.

no I wouldn't carry both a pig and a rhyno.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby JR » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Neither the Opto or the GL comes off unscathed from a rock hit but both survive tree hits well so it's more a grip tackiness preference. Rhyno and/or Pig depends on your power. Rhynos should be fine for 330-350' throwers but 380-400'+ straighten the Rhyno out on longer throws and the wind tolerance starts to wane and then a Pig does what the Rhyno does for 330-350' power. When the Rhyno starts get straighter and you get a Pig or the faster Zone a lot of other putters compete with the Rhyno for straightish flight role so you can grow out of the Rhyno. Rhyno is slow and shorter so for ranging it might be a benefit especially for those that throw older shorter mids like the Roc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Big Tone » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks for all the tips/suggestions. I stopped by my local shop and picked up a few goodies the other day.
Since daylight savings time now prevents me from throwing after work on the weekedays, i figured it was time for a basket for the house. I lucked out and got an Innova Discatcher Sport used from the shop for $130. Then like a kid in a candy store with extra money to spend, i picked up a 171 Opto xXx, 172 SS Magic(eraser feeling), 175 R-Pro Rhyno(flat), and 150 Blizz Katana.

So my bag will look like this for the next few weeks as I test the blizzard disc out and the new putters.

Putters: (200'-250')
175 - SS Wizard x2 (one for putt, one for approach)
172 - SS Magic (new, havent ever tried an US putter)
173 - DX Rhyno (windy day things/putt/approach/drive)
175 - RP Rhyno (new)

Mids: (Rancho) (250'-300')
180 - DX Roc (seasoned, niceeeee)
176 - DX Roc (new)
172 - ESP Comet (beating in)

Fairway: (300'-350')
172 - Pro Leopard (flippy, hyzerflip, roller)
170 - Champ Leopard (straight shots, but I can turn it with power no problem)

OS Utility:
171 - Opto xXx (new & OS)

Control: (350'-375')
171 - P PD (stiffy!, turns nicely, can roll it, flip to straight)
168 - S PD (wearing in, gets slight turn at full power, reliable fade)
171 - C PD (sat at bottom of pond for 2 months, still OS with no turn)

Distance: (blizzard)
150 - Katana
155 - Wraith
153 - Destroyer

That pretty much fills my Voodoo bag up. I could fit more but would rather not. This should be a fun set up for my 3 closest courses.
I'll report back and change stuff around as i feel needed in a few weeks as I get a feel for the new set up.
Big Tone
Noob

Postby Big Tone » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:56 am

The winter has taken it's toll on me. Not throwing as much. I went from doing 5+ rounds a week to maybe 1-2 on the weekends. Progression/accuracy/consistency has tappered off, if not declined, which I would expect playing less in the colder months.
I've tooled around with the bag a little as well. Lat/West has really drawn me in and I'm highly impressed with some of their disc.

Putter:
Pure x3- Opto, 2x Grip(flat and domey) 174-175
Zone - ESP 170
Wiz - SS (stashed in the side of my bag for comfort...) 175

Mids: (I love this set up!)
Fuse - Opto, 173
Warship - VIP, 168
Pain - Opto, 176

Drivers:
xXx - Opto, 171
River - 2xOpto (flat 170, domey 177)
PD - P,171 & S,168
Saint - GL,171 & Opto,175
Sword - 2xVIP (171, 175)
Katana - Blizz,150
Destroyer - Blizz, 150

Wizards are taking a brether. The Roc/Comet combo is in jeopardy! I sold my Leo's to a friend who just started playing(questioning this decision).

I know the Saint/PD is overlap from hell, but I can't settle on a mold. They are both great for me and since I don't get to play as often right now, I've had them both in the bag for extra disc to throw during rounds. If I had to choose one, it would probably be the PD as I am more familiar/consistent with them but... I am warming up to the Saint the more I throw them.

The blizzard disc are in there for light/no wind days which are far and few between right now.

I have some back ups/rotation disc in GL on the shelf at home for some of these disc.
(I tend to like the feel of the Opto/VIP over the GL/TP currently, this could change with warmer weather, idk just yet)
Big Tone
Noob

Postby PMantle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:02 am

Big Tone wrote:I might toss in my X-Stratus to have a truly US mid but I'm willing to bet I won't need it.

I dropped mine for a while, then realized I needed it for a few situations.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby keltik » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Glad to see you understand the Saint/PD overlap. This means you've been paying attention. Good job! When you do make the selection really think about which one you throw the most, reach for the most, gives you the most comfort and piece of mind.

The Leopard is a hard disc to walk away from.

and yes a truly flippy disc is a good thing to have. sometimes you have limited range of motion or you just need a janky line. that flippy disc will do it.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby JR » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:37 am

Usually bag decisions need a lot of rounds for comparison to be able to make an informed decision so i'd refrain from elimination of discs until you can gather enough data.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Big Tone » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 am

Damn you two! Don't remind me that the stratus is on the shelf at home. My hopes are to beat a fuse into one of these but i can forsee this taking quite a bit of time. I've been managing without it for now. I do have an extreme love of the pro/x styles of plastic, just feals so damn good in the hand.

The Leo will always have a spot in my heart(highly recommended for others to try)! These rivers are the tits tho. My flat 170 has a very nice turn to it similar to the pro leo I was carrying, just not as beat yet. The 177 domey one reacts like the champ leo i had, more stablility. I also have a 171 GL sitting out currently that has a dome right inbetween the 2 optos currently in the bag.

My first tourney is this weekend so my bag will look as is minus the Saints. I do need to pick up some more PD's in both P and S line. My current S line is very domey and flies more on the OS side while the P line one is flat as a board and seasoned. I find the gap between them widening the more i use them so i want something to fall inbetween.
Big Tone
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:27 am

A new P PD? That gets the rotation going. So eventually you'll have a back up for the worn one.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion