Teach me about "par"

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Teach me about "par"

Postby PMantle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:14 pm

allsport1313 wrote: If you are going to call every hole a par 3 when some are clearly not, I don't see the utility in using the par system at all.

Exactly.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:49 pm

In which competition the winner has been decided by par? It is how many throws not how. Par serves a purpose in describing the difficulty of a hole and it gives developing players a reference of how they are doing without knowing the course record or how pro player/advanced am/intermediate am X scores there.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:13 pm

JR wrote:In which competition the winner has been decided by par?

What has been said that would cause this question to pop into your head? Would this not be the same in golf? No one questions par 5s in golf or even drivable par 4s. The USGA goes to the trouble of redesignating some par 5s to 4 for the US Open. They obviously believe the concept is important for some reason despite the undeniable truth that the golfer with the lowest score, disunirregardless of par, wins.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:19 pm

disunirregardless...you win
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby PMantle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:23 pm

keltik wrote:disunirregardless...you win

Stolen from a professor when a student used irregardless. :lol:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby allsport1313 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:41 pm

JR wrote:In which competition the winner has been decided by par? It is how many throws not how. Par serves a purpose in describing the difficulty of a hole and it gives developing players a reference of how they are doing without knowing the course record or how pro player/advanced am/intermediate am X scores there.

Again though, why are people even using the par system if they're just going to slap a 3 on every hole? That's like replacing an already somewhat futile method of reference with the same exact method, except with an arbitrary number that may or may not have any correlation to the holes played. I really fail to see the use in this.
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby keltik » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:54 pm

Par was meant to give average/recreational players a standard against which they can judge their own play. It gives golfers something to aim for. but this is with "par 72" courses in mind and the added difficulty swinging a steel club at a small white ball.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:02 pm

PMantle wrote:

What has been said that would cause this question to pop into your head? Would this not be the same in golf? No one questions par 5s in golf or even drivable par 4s. The USGA goes to the trouble of redesignating some par 5s to 4 for the US Open. They obviously believe the concept is important for some reason despite the undeniable truth that the golfer with the lowest score, disunirregardless of par, wins.

The futility of par for an experienced player or in a tournament. Like i wrote earlier the only benefit i see is to give players another yardstick. It would be expensive to write the scores of every player in any tourny on the hole description plate so par is suitably small to print along with the hole number, length and the hole map.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:10 pm

JR wrote:
PMantle wrote:

The futility of par for an experienced player or in a tournament. Like i wrote earlier the only benefit i see is to give players another yardstick. It would be expensive to write the scores of every player in any tourny on the hole description plate so par is suitably small to print along with the hole number, length and the hole map.

I do not understand what you are trying to convey.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby aerodriver » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Everything is a par 3 unless it isn't.

Par 3 is just a guideline to follow with unmarked holes, or a (relatively) arbitrary designation since throwing once seems like too little challenge, throwing two times is repetition, but throwing three times or more is a great integer where you can throw long on the first, long or short on the second (you get a second chance on your first throw), and go for the basket on the third. So maybe it's a way for disc manufacturers to demand we buy midranges instead of just drivers and putters.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Westside Warship

Postby Monkeypaws » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:07 pm

If you make all your shots the way you want, it's par. If you screw up, it's a bogey or worse. If you make an exceptional shot along with the usual, it's a birdie. That's my rule of thumb.

I like the fact disc golf is less anal than ball golf about rules and such.
Monkeypaws
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Shark

Postby AcesAZ » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:58 am

par/pär/
Noun:
The number of strokes a first-class player should normally require for a particular hole or course.

I would take the avg score of a "first class player" and assign par based on that score rounded to nearest whole number. Maybe some very easy holes now become par 2's but many 800'+ holes become 4's and 5's. I also dont get naming everything par 3. You need a different term for par if you do that.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Postby turso » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:28 am

in disc golf the course par rarely requires you to be a first class player, thus making the comparison directly to Golf irrelevant.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby AcesAZ » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:39 am

turso wrote:in disc golf the course par rarely requires you to be a first class player, thus making the comparison directly to Golf irrelevant.

Thats why you have par 2's. If you have all par 3's then get rid of the name par because its definition doesnt apply.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Postby turso » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:18 am

AcesAZ wrote:
turso wrote:in disc golf the course par rarely requires you to be a first class player, thus making the comparison directly to Golf irrelevant.

Thats why you have par 2's. If you have all par 3's then get rid of the name par because its definition doesnt apply.

Par 2's are inherently retarded idea. Making birdieing a near impossibility isn't the right solution for the problem. The right solution is to stop comparing the par to golf par, they can never be made similar in any rational way.

//edit Well, they could be made, but current course design trend seems to be a bit on the lenient side.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion