"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Re: The Gospel of the PD

Postby kern9787 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:35 am

Big Tone wrote:What are the differences in the JLS vs PLS (plastic aside)? I've wanted to try some of the Millenium line up but have yet to take the leap.

Compared to a QJLS, the QPLS turns slightly less, fades harder,and has less glide. To be honest, I barely use the QPLS, but its nice to have when I need it. PD and QJLS are my work horses.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby mark12b » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:57 am

Big Tone wrote:Just curious what you PD-lovers are throwing in between your mids and your PD's?

Was DX Eagles, now DX Gazelles.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Big Tone wrote:Just curious what you PD-lovers are throwing in between your mids and your PD's?

FDs

Great disc for midrange distance on a lower driver line once you get used to them. Very nice compliment to the PD.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby steven » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:13 pm

stalker. i like the large diameter. i will throw this instead of ripping a roc.
YETI - GATOR - ROC - PD - BOSS
steven
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: dx roc

Postby Stringbean » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:38 am

I just bought my first PD yesterday. 168 gram S-Line

What is a good weight for the PD? I usually throw between 167-171. Is the PD better in heavier weights? Seems like it had a tendency to rise quite a bit in 15mph winds yesterday. I wasn't having that problem with my 175g Teebird.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby turso » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:18 pm

I have no problems with getting it to stay the height in those kinds of winds. Adjust the nose angle. All the weights are good weights, depends what you're using them for.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby Stringbean » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:43 pm

Good to hear. Better me than the disc.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:46 pm

turso wrote:I have no problems with getting it to stay the height in those kinds of winds. Adjust the nose angle. All the weights are good weights, depends what you're using them for.

This. I demonstrated a 159 broken in flat DGR P PD into a stiffer headwind than what he had with a low throw with added hyzer flying hyzered once to lcgm8 with a hard throw. It was the plan but i misjudged the wind and the disc flipped to just shy of flat instead of the steeper angle needed for the fairway but the fade saved some face. So it was me not the disc and that disc in that condition was pretty extreme variation to the understable range of what PDs can be. I have a much more overstable 150 S of the initial run and a less overstable but still overstable regular S 150. For me the regular S 150 flips into a 15 MPH wind a little. A 168 won't if it isn't a swirly gust. The same for a new P 168. P is more likely to flip harder when hit by a gust.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby sunspot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:52 pm

I am indecisive sometimes. I've mulled around the idea of a minimialist setup with the PD in all plastics, from stable to understable, or having a Pred and TD setup covering stable to understable. The problem I have is whether I should drop one set up for the other.

Any suggestions?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby discspeed » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:33 pm

sunspot wrote:I am indecisive sometimes. I've mulled around the idea of a minimialist setup with the PD in all plastics, from stable to understable, or having a Pred and TD setup covering stable to understable. The problem I have is whether I should drop one set up for the other.

Any suggestions?

Stay where you are at. Finding good PDs to cover the whole spectrum of shots is very difficult these days...Especially PPDs. Also, to fill the role of the TD you need a really glidey PD like a red champystar that is beat. I gave up on my all PD setup when I lost that disc--my beat red champystar. It was a better disc than the TD, but when I grabbed another red champystar to try and start working in it was MUCH more stable to start than my initial one had been.

At this point I honestly question if carrying a mold in multiple plastics even qualifies as minimalism. The different plastics create different feels in the hand, different flights, and different break in tendencies. How is that different from just using 2-3 different molds? IMO, different plastics usually equal different discs, even if they come from the same mold.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby linkinparkervii » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:11 pm

discspeed wrote:
sunspot wrote:I am indecisive sometimes. I've mulled around the idea of a minimialist setup with the PD in all plastics, from stable to understable, or having a Pred and TD setup covering stable to understable. The problem I have is whether I should drop one set up for the other.

Any suggestions?

Stay where you are at. Finding good PDs to cover the whole spectrum of shots is very difficult these days...Especially PPDs. Also, to fill the role of the TD you need a really glidey PD like a red champystar that is beat. I gave up on my all PD setup when I lost that disc--my beat red champystar. It was a better disc than the TD, but when I grabbed another red champystar to try and start working in it was MUCH more stable to start than my initial one had been.

At this point I honestly question if carrying a mold in multiple plastics even qualifies as minimalism. The different plastics create different feels in the hand, different flights, and different break in tendencies. How is that different from just using 2-3 different molds? IMO, different plastics usually equal different discs, even if they come from the same mold.

With innova/discmania, who knows what mold it comes out of. With all the + molds that have been thrown in there
linkinparkervii
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Gold Line Core

Postby discspeed » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:24 pm

linkinparkervii wrote:
discspeed wrote:

Any suggestions?

With innova/discmania, who knows what mold it comes out of. With all the + molds that have been thrown in there

Yeah...I have a feeling my favorite PDs(yellow champystars) were actually a test configuration that got ran on accident. They fly quite a bit different than other PDs (more TB than EX) and I believe I remember one of the Finns asking Jussi about them and he said they were a mistake. Once again, I'm glad I grabbed a stack when I could.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby sunspot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:21 pm

linkinparkervii wrote:

I've seriously thought about dropping both PD and TD because of the crud that Innova is pulling. If I do that, then I could keep the Predator but I lack something to replace the TD. What else on the market could I replace the TD with?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby pask2155 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:25 pm

How can you identify a test config?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment