The Gospel of the PD

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Gospel of the PD

Postby discspeed » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:49 pm

pask2155 wrote:How can you identify a test config?

Some are obvious with the original top, but I know they tried like 5+ configurations until they got it where they wanted it. I'm not sure what this tweaking entailed exactly, but I imagine some of the configurations were pretty similar to what they ended up going with and would be hard to visually differentiate from a normal PD.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby JR » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:57 am

sunspot wrote:
linkinparkervii wrote:
With innova/discmania, who knows what mold it comes out of. With all the + molds that have been thrown in there

I've seriously thought about dropping both PD and TD because of the crud that Innova is pulling. If I do that, then I could keep the Predator but I lack something to replace the TD. What else on the market could I replace the TD with?

Beast.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:04 am

discspeed wrote:
sunspot wrote:I am indecisive sometimes. I've mulled around the idea of a minimialist setup with the PD in all plastics, from stable to understable, or having a Pred and TD setup covering stable to understable. The problem I have is whether I should drop one set up for the other.

Any suggestions?

Stay where you are at. Finding good PDs to cover the whole spectrum of shots is very difficult these days...Especially PPDs. Also, to fill the role of the TD you need a really glidey PD like a red champystar that is beat. I gave up on my all PD setup when I lost that disc--my beat red champystar. It was a better disc than the TD, but when I grabbed another red champystar to try and start working in it was MUCH more stable to start than my initial one had been.

At this point I honestly question if carrying a mold in multiple plastics even qualifies as minimalism. The different plastics create different feels in the hand, different flights, and different break in tendencies. How is that different from just using 2-3 different molds? IMO, different plastics usually equal different discs, even if they come from the same mold.

PDs even in champystar tune well.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discspeed » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:10 am

JR wrote:
discspeed wrote:
sunspot wrote:I am indecisive sometimes. I've mulled around the idea of a minimialist setup with the PD in all plastics, from stable to understable, or having a Pred and TD setup covering stable to understable. The problem I have is whether I should drop one set up for the other.

Any suggestions?

Stay where you are at. Finding good PDs to cover the whole spectrum of shots is very difficult these days...Especially PPDs. Also, to fill the role of the TD you need a really glidey PD like a red champystar that is beat. I gave up on my all PD setup when I lost that disc--my beat red champystar. It was a better disc than the TD, but when I grabbed another red champystar to try and start working in it was MUCH more stable to start than my initial one had been.

At this point I honestly question if carrying a mold in multiple plastics even qualifies as minimalism. The different plastics create different feels in the hand, different flights, and different break in tendencies. How is that different from just using 2-3 different molds? IMO, different plastics usually equal different discs, even if they come from the same mold.

PDs even in champystar tune well.

My yellows are too stiff to bend up. Besides I'm still not even close to sold on this whole "tuning" thing. Who is going to start bending their disc to some mystery stability before they try and shape a shot with it? How do you ever really know what your disc is going to do if you are doing that?
discspeed

Postby Booter » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:16 am

thats why u go to a field and test it. u can always tune it back to more stable. if u dont believe it,go try it. ive done it for people alot of times and it works. champ/z doesnt work for shit though. however star/esp is the best for it.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby sunspot » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:03 am

JR wrote:
sunspot wrote:
linkinparkervii wrote:
With innova/discmania, who knows what mold it comes out of. With all the + molds that have been thrown in there

I've seriously thought about dropping both PD and TD because of the crud that Innova is pulling. If I do that, then I could keep the Predator but I lack something to replace the TD. What else on the market could I replace the TD with?

Beast.

I was thinking of a disc that wasn't touched by Innova. How does the Saint and Volt compare to the TD?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby discspeed » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:30 am

I think Volt/Pred would be an excellent combo. I don't have a lot of experience with the Saint, but I think the Volt is more shapeable. Both are a little shorter than the TD, but long for fairway drivers.
discspeed

Postby sunspot » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:18 pm

discspeed wrote:I think Volt/Pred would be an excellent combo. I don't have a lot of experience with the Saint, but I think the Volt is more shapeable. Both are a little shorter than the TD, but long for fairway drivers.

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking Sword/Volt/Pred/Leopard as my distance and fairway, sound good? I am willing to stick with the Leo since Innova hasn't messed with the mold and I don't want to have to make more purchases than necessary.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby JR » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:11 am

That should work. Both the Volt and the Saint are s-curving discs put of the box around 170.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:22 am

So, I picked up a C-PD over the weekend and it is the + style mold. And since I don't want to cruise through 197 pages to find my answer, can anybody tell if the + mold PD is less stable? The one I have seems to fly more like a slightly broken in Teebird than the last C-PD I had(Granted it was a non + mold).

Now, I will say that stiff P-PD's can flat out crush.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby victorb » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:18 am

The +cPD I have is just as overstable as the non+ that I have. Maybe because I don't release it as well as a non+ mold, but that's my experience.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby maskedavenger » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:23 am

3rd run C-PDs are stable as you wouldn't believe. Just wanted to say that, and also see if we can push this topic to 200 pages. Seriously, think about it! Discmania should put a advert out based on just that: "Discmania Power Driver- 200 pages of discussion at DGR. Beat that."
maskedavenger
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby pask2155 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:40 am

BLURR wrote:Now, I will say that stiff P-PD's can flat out crush.

How far are to talking when you say they crush? I can't get any of my PDs out past 380' or so...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby victorb » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:13 pm

pask2155 wrote:
BLURR wrote:Now, I will say that stiff P-PD's can flat out crush.

How far are to talking when you say they crush? I can't get any of my PDs out past 380' or so...

The stiff, flatter pPDs are my favorites. I can put mine out to 400' with consistency and accuracy, which means 380'-400' in my book is crushing.

I haven't thrown my sPDs enough to break them in, mainly because I love my pPDs so much.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:07 pm

Here's a p pd shot. About 460 ever so slightly uphill

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/190/1013915.mp4/
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave