The Newest Greatest thing you just figured out

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Newest Greatest thing you just figured out

Postby JR » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 pm

chainsmoker wrote:If someone has a cure for the cracking skin on my thumb it will be the greatest thing I figure out. One time it was so bad I was playing in an ice bowl event and I had little spots of blood on my white dx Roc. Currently I put super glue in the cracks.

Whichever stuff you use i'd begin with argan oil because it is chock full of vitamin E and once that has absorbed into the skin (only a few minutes) apply something heavier in a thick layer and put a disposable fabric glove on and wear that for 12 hours and repeat twice a day. I've seen a competition cross country skier do that for a month. So things like that could last a while but i hope that cracked skin on the thumb won't last a month to cure. Also does applying sports tape to the tip of the thumb leave you with enough grip to be able to throw? It should help in alleviating some of the pressure in throwing and i'd try that even if it messes up your score at first when you return to throwing.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:I just found out forcing a new overstable roc over onto an anny line is a really good way to throw some great anny lines.

This shot requires serious skill. It has to be thrown at the correct speed and angle or it hyzers out early, or S's back as it slows down or turns too hard and rolls. It works better when you can throw the shot firmly. The less distance this shot needs to travel the greater skill required. Try throwing a 25 foot anhyzer putt around a tree with a crazy overstable driver. Sure it can be done but it ain't easy and if it misses it ain't gonna be pretty, especially if there is a drop off past the basket.

Although good players can memorize particular shots (a well practiced disc at a certain speed and angle) and pull them off, they are still more difficult and have a smaller margin of error than using a less stable disc. God makes flippy discs for a reason.

Perhaps with enough effort you can train a herd of cats to do synchronized tricks to Celine Dion music but is it really worth the effort?

It's not an every day shot but it is a seriously useful shot. I've been throwing it a lot lately on holes that are usually slightly too long for a roc but easy to overshoot with a driver. Forcing a stable roc over means the disc will start to fight out and extend the flight for another 20' or so.

Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby chainsmoker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:14 pm

JR wrote:
chainsmoker wrote:If someone has a cure for the cracking skin on my thumb it will be the greatest thing I figure out. One time it was so bad I was playing in an ice bowl event and I had little spots of blood on my white dx Roc. Currently I put super glue in the cracks.

Whichever stuff you use i'd begin with argan oil because it is chock full of vitamin E and once that has absorbed into the skin (only a few minutes) apply something heavier in a thick layer and put a disposable fabric glove on and wear that for 12 hours and repeat twice a day. I've seen a competition cross country skier do that for a month. So things like that could last a while but i hope that cracked skin on the thumb won't last a month to cure. Also does applying sports tape to the tip of the thumb leave you with enough grip to be able to throw? It should help in alleviating some of the pressure in throwing and i'd try that even if it messes up your score at first when you return to throwing.

I got some regular vitamin E oil from the pharmacy along with some vitamin A&D cream that I think is meant for a babies ass. I've been putting the oil on the cracks in my thumb and putting a bandage over it during the day and I put the cream on at night under some light gloves because it has petrolatum and really greasy. It is starting to work already, Thanks.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby inthedrift » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:02 pm

I too suffer from dry, cracking skin particularly in the cold, dry winter conditions I'm playing in. I find that I have to stay vigilant about moisturizing my hands and I also tape my index finger when throwing - but I'm usually good if I just stay on this regimen. It's when I neglect the skin care that I begin to suffer the consequences. O'Keeffe's Working Hands is some seriously good stuff for anyone looking for a good moisturizing cream.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:34 am

I have found that for men like myself w Very small hands, it is very important for the pinky to be FIRMLY placed against the inner rim....I have always gripped a little weak due to the size of my hands and have never accustomed myself to power gripping....the pointy finger simply doesn't get under the rim and making this tiny change with my limits has paricularly helped my mid range game
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Postby victorb » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:21 am

Don't be infatuated with only getting results, strive to make an effort to achieve a good result, and things will start to improve with less frustration.

Realizing that I don't have nearly as much time to play as I used to, and that it's going to be difficult to actually get better until I get more free time.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:14 am

How did I not think of this before?

Pant legs which are too wide or too long get in the way when golfing. I cut a couple nylon straps down to the correct length and tie them at the ankles. Problem solved.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:48 am

A few years ago I became susceptible to poison ivy after decades of being immune. I learned important techniques from other golfers including paying close attention to its location and wiping off discs immediately and myself after rounds. This last summer I contracted one small rash one time, a huge improvement for me. I think that one technique really helped: changing towels frequently. I go through a few towels every round on a course where I see any of the evil weed and never reuse them until they are washed. I end up laundering a bunch of towels which don't even look dirty but the results are worth it.

Resale shops are the greatest places to find good deals on clothes. As all fat people know, clothes are designed to fit slender people, so finding something that actually fits is challenging for we of the rotund set. A new item which fits may shrink as it is washed and dried. Used clothes have already been washed and they are much cheaper.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:10 pm

I have started to wear jackets which are shorter, so they stop at just below the waist rather than go down over the hips. It seems shorter jackets are less restrictive, allowing easier twisting at the waist and greater freedom of movement. The jackets they make for snowboarding are just the opposite of this, going down to mid thigh. I also like deep pockets (so handwarmers don't fall out) and sleeves which are not tight.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Postby Monkeypaws » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:01 pm

Tossin' in Memphis wrote:I have found that for men like myself w Very small hands, it is very important for the pinky to be FIRMLY placed against the inner rim....I have always gripped a little weak due to the size of my hands and have never accustomed myself to power gripping....the pointy finger simply doesn't get under the rim and making this tiny change with my limits has paricularly helped my mid range game

Funny, I was just gripping discs last night (purely chaste, I assure you), and I suddenly realized it felt much better w/o the pinkie for me. I took some discs out on the practice field today, and sure enough, no griplock, better accuracy and extra distance from my previous sessions.

Different strokes i guess....
Monkeypaws
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Shark

Postby allsport1313 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Same for me on the no pinky. Recently tried the three finger because I have crazy small hands and can't get a good comfortable four-finger power grip. I was pretty shocked how good it felt. With three fingers I get this feeling that the disc rips out of my hand almost every time. Not sure if that's snap, or 'the hit', or what, but I like it! I know Blake T said that even small hands should be able to four-finger power grip just as well as three, but until I figure that out, the pinky just kind of gets in the way.
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby iacas » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:02 pm

allsport1313 wrote:Same for me on the no pinky. Recently tried the three finger because I have crazy small hands and can't get a good comfortable four-finger power grip. I was pretty shocked how good it felt. With three fingers I get this feeling that the disc rips out of my hand almost every time. Not sure if that's snap, or 'the hit', or what, but I like it! I know Blake T said that even small hands should be able to four-finger power grip just as well as three, but until I figure that out, the pinky just kind of gets in the way.

I switched to a three-finger grip a few weeks ago. My pinky fingers are bent (see here) so sometimes it wants to "underlap" the ring finger when I try to use all four.

My "newest greatest thing" would have to be the feeling of keeping my hand on the outside of the disc as long as possible. This alone has helped with distance and consistency. Still learning, still improving, but that's been a good help.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby Star Shark » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:53 pm

I just figured out that Steve and Bamba know what they're doing when making discs. Go Legacy :)
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Qikly » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:46 pm

I'm a newbie, so my realizations are profound for me and old news for many others. I'm perfectly okay with that. In fact, that's what got me into this sport: the opportunity to undertake a new discipline.

I was a jazz musician for a time. During that time, I learned that there were different kinds of practice, including but not limited to mechanical repetition, gig simulation ("just playing"), and woodshedding. In woodshedding, you play until you practice - that is, you stumble upon things through playing that you then isolate, focus in on, and then leave in order to discover another chink in your armor, another hole in your game. I love to woodshed out on the disc golf course. I find it virtually impossible to play a round from 1 to 18 without rethrowing shots to see if I can get another line, the same line with a different disc, repeat a well thrown shot, etc etc. Again, it's the woodshedding that attracts me to disc golf.

Lately my big technical discovery has been left-to-right shots (RHBH). I'm starting to get a good enough sense of my Comet to control the gradation of turn/when it starts turning. Pretty darn gratifying when I hit it right. Like any other throw.
Banshee|Underworld
Comet
VP|Voodoo

**Currently auditioning Eagle Xs**
Qikly
Noob

Favorite Disc: Underworld

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:50 am

Qikly wrote:I'm a newbie, so my realizations are profound for me and old news for many others. I'm perfectly okay with that. In fact, that's what got me into this sport: the opportunity to undertake a new discipline.

I was a jazz musician for a time. During that time, I learned that there were different kinds of practice, including but not limited to mechanical repetition, gig simulation ("just playing"), and woodshedding. In woodshedding, you play until you practice - that is, you stumble upon things through playing that you then isolate, focus in on, and then leave in order to discover another chink in your armor, another hole in your game. I love to woodshed out on the disc golf course. I find it virtually impossible to play a round from 1 to 18 without rethrowing shots to see if I can get another line, the same line with a different disc, repeat a well thrown shot, etc etc. Again, it's the woodshedding that attracts me to disc golf.

Lately my big technical discovery has been left-to-right shots (RHBH). I'm starting to get a good enough sense of my Comet to control the gradation of turn/when it starts turning. Pretty darn gratifying when I hit it right. Like any other throw.

I'm not sure I understand woodshedding. If you "play until you practice", does this mean that in the middle of a round you come upon an interesting challenge-a particular shot- and abandon the game for a while to practice that shot over and over?

If so, this is sort of what I do to learn a course in preparation for a major tournament. I might come to a tricky hole and spend an hour playing it over and over. Anyway Good Luck learning anhyzers. They are infinitely challenging. When you think you have learned them, step up to rollers (which are just severe anhyzers) and find out how tough those shots are.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion