Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

MVP Amp

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:34 am

Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: MVP Amp

Postby discspeed » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:07 am

It's supposed to be understable compared to the Volt.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:10 am

discspeed wrote:It's supposed to be understable compared to the Volt.

Interesting, I think most were hoping overstable... I still haven't had the chance to throw the Volt so I had no preference.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:19 am

Well my volt is already pretty flippy so I am not really feeling this.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Ryan C » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Same. To throw my volt over 360' is already requiring like 45 degrees of hyzer... An even less stable disc is not even going to be worth trying.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby CatPredator » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Ryan C wrote:Same. To throw my volt over 360' is already requiring like 45 degrees of hyzer... An even less stable disc is not even going to be worth trying.

That's definitely a dud. I didn't end up caring for the disc much but they're not "normally" anywhere near that flippy. Mine can be thrown with a touch of anhyzer on a relatively low line farther than that without burning out.

The Amp is pushing the limits of what a "fairway driver" is here, being an understable speed 9.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby eric40817 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:51 pm

Ive thrown 3 Volts. 2 of them flew like a Teebird, my other one flies like my firebird. All stable to OS. Ive heard many people say the same but Ive also heard a few people say theirs is flippy. Has anyone else seen inconsistencies with the stability of the Volts? If the amp is truely US than Ill be giving it a try
eric40817
Noob

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby discspeed » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:50 pm

What color/weight are these flippy Volts? Mine are all stable to slightly overstable. My main Volt (175 dayglow yellow) I use like a star EX. It's got just a touch of push at high speeds to help it glide forward but it stays true to it's line of release. It fades enough to be predictable (comparable to star EX). My lighter ones are more overstable (hot pink 172, blue 170), but not significantly.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby eric40817 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:56 pm

My two that have just a touch of fade are white and pink @ 170g. The OS one is dayglow @ 173g
eric40817
Noob

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby iacas » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:13 pm

CatPredator wrote:That's definitely a dud. I didn't end up caring for the disc much but they're not "normally" anywhere near that flippy. Mine can be thrown with a touch of anhyzer on a relatively low line farther than that without burning out.

The Amp is pushing the limits of what a "fairway driver" is here, being an understable speed 9.

I agree. I've thrown five different ones from 168-172g and they're all identical in flight and just have a lazy S curve to them when thrown flat. Haven't seen a flippy Volt yet and I can flip some discs when I get a little OAT-y. :)

And I agree on pushing the limits, but at the same time, it does seem to take lower power throws pretty well. I still only have 325' distance or so and my brother-in-law tops out at 250'-ish and he got a reasonable flight from it too.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby rehder » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:57 pm

So I tried a friends brand new Volt's. And i def. concur with the understable bit if you can throw 375+. With hyzer they would flip up and over, and come back at the end. But for the slot, I would prefer Orion LF's or PD's
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:00 pm

My volts are 172 pink flat ones and they get pretty flippy when I throw them out there past 360' or so which since I wanted them to possibly replace my SOLFs it was not what I was looking for.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:My volts are 172 pink flat ones and they get pretty flippy when I throw them out there past 360' or so which since I wanted them to possibly replace my SOLFs it was not what I was looking for.

I watched him throw this, and he's right. It's not Roadrunner flippy, but nowhere near stable enough to replace OLF's or PD's. I threw it once, but with too much nose up to get a good read on it. Even then it didn't hyzer out immediately like a more stable mold would.

My guess is there's some duds in the batch.

Back to the OP - IMO, they need to come out with a more stable Volt instead of a roller disc. Take that with a grain of salt, because I'm not switching fairway molds unless Teebirds get vulcanized.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JHern » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:06 pm

I'm not yet convinced that MVP has any strength going into the drivers market. I know many here at DGR have been pining for such, but I'm not really sure if that's justified. And if the "good ones" are like Teebirds or Firebirds, then they aren't a disc that was worth re-inventing the wheel for, since we already have them.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:31 am

My Volt needs 4-5 degrees to flip to flat at 370-380' in rear wind. So far i've been busy at work so i have not had another chance to throw it. I think it is 168 red. I've not seen an SEX break into as flippy than this disc is when new.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to Equipment