MVP Amp

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Amp

Postby discspeed » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:04 am

JHern wrote:I'm not yet convinced that MVP has any strength going into the drivers market. I know many here at DGR have been pining for such, but I'm not really sure if that's justified. And if the "good ones" are like Teebirds or Firebirds, then they aren't a disc that was worth re-inventing the wheel for, since we already have them.

My Volt is better than a TB or EX, hands down. It could easily replace either one of those, yet could not itself be replaced by either.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby discspeed » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:10 am

Fightingthetide wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:My volts are 172 pink flat ones and they get pretty flippy when I throw them out there past 360' or so which since I wanted them to possibly replace my SOLFs it was not what I was looking for.

I watched him throw this, and he's right. It's not Roadrunner flippy, but nowhere near stable enough to replace OLF's or PD's. I threw it once, but with too much nose up to get a good read on it. Even then it didn't hyzer out immediately like a more stable mold would.

My guess is there's some duds in the batch.

Back to the OP - IMO, they need to come out with a more stable Volt instead of a roller disc. Take that with a grain of salt, because I'm not switching fairway molds unless Teebirds get vulcanized.

Every SOLF I've thrown has had at least as much high speed turn as my Volts, and some PDs as well. Are yours the light pink? That is the one Volt I had that would flip a bit unpredictably (which is why it now rests at the bottom of a lake). My others are not what anyone would call flippy.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:31 am

There are obviously some Volts out there that are less stable than desired. I imagine MVP will be trying to tweak things so that they are coming out more consistently stable since they are releasing an understable driver that is the same speed.
discspeed

Postby keltik » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:10 am

discspeed wrote:My Volt is better than a TB or EX, hands down. It could easily replace either one of those, yet could not itself be replaced by either.

them there are fightin' words sir!
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks for the triple post defending MVP. My volts are the super bright pink ones. I might revisit volts down the road if I can win one or something but between the shallow grip and the flippiness of the ones i have I just can't see myself spending more money on them.

As for the Amp I think it is an odd choice for the next disc but I guess they are trying to target the casual crowd who needs less stable discs which I think can work. I've seen lots of casuals throwing Ions and anodes lately as they love the sturdiness of them on the short rocky courses they usually play.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby discspeed » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:45 am

keltik wrote:
discspeed wrote:My Volt is better than a TB or EX, hands down. It could easily replace either one of those, yet could not itself be replaced by either.

them there are fightin' words sir!

I moved on from EXs and TBs a long time ago...They just require too much effort to work out of the box. To me the Volt is a much more versatile stability, sort of like a TL or EL. Unlike those those it has more of an X shaped wing, so it pulls out of a turn and fades more reliably. So it's sort of like a combo of all those discs...More glide/range/workability than new premium TB/EX, but more predictability than the L versions of those discs. The only issue I can see is if you want the Volt to be your only mold in that speed/range, in which case I'm not sure how easy it is to get one as overstable as you would want for wind.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:55 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Thanks for the triple post defending MVP. My volts are the super bright pink ones. I might revisit volts down the road if I can win one or something but between the shallow grip and the flippiness of the ones i have I just can't see myself spending more money on them.

As for the Amp I think it is an odd choice for the next disc but I guess they are trying to target the casual crowd who needs less stable discs which I think can work. I've seen lots of casuals throwing Ions and anodes lately as they love the sturdiness of them on the short rocky courses they usually play.

Pres10 is the only one I've heard from who has an AMP and he was comparing it to a Valk, which sounds to me like it's not that understable (like say a SW or RR). He has a pretty big arm as well. This is why it would be confusing unless the Volts become more consistently stable like the ones I have.

What weight are yours Frank? I have a bright pink 172 and I can throw it 400' on a flat near full power throw, and it's only getting a touch of turn. Maybe color is not a good indicator of stability on these...That would make sense since I'm guessing it's how the overmold cools that determines the PLH.

As far as defending MVP, I'm just hearing some very absolute statements based on very little data...By all means this is the best place for criticism because I'm sure Chad is reading.
discspeed

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:05 am

discspeed wrote:What weight are yours Frank?

Dude you could at least read my posts man, the thread is only 1 and 1/2 pages long. I mean you even quoted my post that contains this info.
Frank Delicious

Postby keltik » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:12 am

I guess my attempt at sarcasm was lost as well...
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby discspeed » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:38 am

Frank Delicious wrote:
discspeed wrote:What weight are yours Frank?

Dude you could at least read my posts man, the thread is only 1 and 1/2 pages long. I mean you even quoted my post that contains this info.

This site would be better without this type of pompous shit (and probably have more traffic). I mistakenly thought that fightingthetide wrote the post with the weight posted. My pink 172 is domey, perhaps that is what is making the difference in stability.
discspeed

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:54 am

I don't think it is pompous for me to want the guy I'm having a discussion with to read the posts he is responding to. Was your flippy one flat? I really would like to find one of these stable Volts b/c they sound really appealing to me and the ones I have can be ranged really well. Want to do a Volt swap?
Frank Delicious

Postby discspeed » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:34 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I don't think it is pompous for me to want the guy I'm having a discussion with to read the posts he is responding to. Was your flippy one flat? I really would like to find one of these stable Volts b/c they sound really appealing to me and the ones I have can be ranged really well. Want to do a Volt swap?

My light pink 175 was the flippy one, and it was not flat (moderate dome). It had the most high speed turn, but it also had quite a bit of fade if started with any hyzer (even if it flipped a little first). My dayglow 175 is my flattest and has less turn and fade than the light pink. The dayglow is my favorite, and is about a -1 HSS. My hot pink 172 is my domiest, and it has more HSS than either of the heavy ones. It has a pretty modest fade. My blue 170 is also domey and flies like the hot pink.

I'm going to grab a couple more to compare to the ones I have and then I might have a stable one to trade you.
discspeed

Postby lowracks » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:38 pm

Reading what discspeed says about MVP is like hearing someone scratch their fingernails on a chalk board.
lowracks
Tree Magnet

Postby Ryan C » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:56 pm

Just to put in out there, my extremely flippy Volt is a 175g white one, very flat. I compared the PLH with a buddy's, and its way lower than his. I gave his a few tosses and it definitely flies better than mine, but its not special enough to kick anything out I'm already throwing, and it certainly isn't good enough for me to ignore how shitty they feel in my hand.

I'm hoping MVP will come out with a deeper rimmed driver at some point, because the super shallow feel is really a deal breaker for me. Don't want to be thinking about the way the disc is fitting my hand instead of the shot.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby keltik » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:13 pm

How shallow are we talking? TD2 shallow?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment