Few Blizzards

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Few Blizzards

Postby twmccoy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Found 3 different Blizzard discs in the lake this past weekend and got to try them out in an open field today (65 degrees, very light breeze). One is a Destroyer (156g), one is a Katana (149g) and the other is a Wraith (150g). One thing that was obvious immediately is that these discs don't fly like 150s. They hold a line and don't get tossed around by breezes easily. Of the three the Wraith ended up being the best. I could release it with 100% arm and it would turn over slightly before leveling out and then cruising well over 400'. The Katana was great too and resistant to flipping. Huge glide and very easy to throw. The Destroyer ended up being the worst performing (though still decent). For being 156g, it was very stable and seemed to lack the glide of the other two. This disc would only flip if I forced it. Still able to get it over 400', but it took more work. Reminded me of a max weight star destroyer.

I also tried out a 167 champion Katana. Very nice, easier to rip than the star Katana and much better glide. Far longer than the star.

One other note: the Wraith had bubbles in the flight plate and the others did not. As I said, the wraith was the clear cut winner. A coincidence?
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: Few Blizzards

Postby chainsmoker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:01 pm

The best blizzard disc I have thrown is a Destroyer with bubbles in the flight plate, it flew like a Destroyer even at 156 gr.
The problem I had it didn't hold its speed very well but in the right wind it was pretty long.
The rest of this post is all speculation and is just my opinion:
I think Innova is trying to lower the overall weight of their discs so they can change the distribution of the weight in the disc. The end result will be air bubbles in the flight plate and some weighting agent injected in the wing. We are currently just buying experiments.
Last edited by chainsmoker on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Monkeypaws » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:06 pm

twmccoy wrote:Found 3 different Blizzard discs in the lake this past weekend and got to try them out in an open field today (65 degrees, very light breeze). One is a Destroyer (156g), one is a Katana (149g) and the other is a Wraith (150g). One thing that was obvious immediately is that these discs don't fly like 150s. They hold a line and don't get tossed around by breezes easily. Of the three the Wraith ended up being the best. I could release it with 100% arm and it would turn over slightly before leveling out and then cruising well over 400'. The Katana was great too and resistant to flipping. Huge glide and very easy to throw. The Destroyer ended up being the worst performing (though still decent). For being 156g, it was very stable and seemed to lack the glide of the other two. This disc would only flip if I forced it. Still able to get it over 400', but it took more work. Reminded me of a max weight star destroyer.

I also tried out a 167 champion Katana. Very nice, easier to rip than the star Katana and much better glide. Far longer than the star.

One other note: the Wraith had bubbles in the flight plate and the others did not. As I said, the wraith was the clear cut winner. A coincidence?

I recently got a 148 Wraith, and it kicks butt. I am overshooting baskets I never made it to before, and if you throw it hard and low the accuracy is good.

I've never thrown any other Blizz plastic.
Monkeypaws
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Shark

Postby twmccoy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:17 pm

The plastic definitely has potential. I've never even been into light plastic, but this stuff flies well and is stable enough to really rip. The blizzard Wraith is probably the longest Wraith I've thrown to date. All the glide of light plastic and none of the flip.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:14 pm

Air is cheaper than plastic so if the air injection process doesn't slow down the production speed or cost much they are saving in plastic buying costs. I wouldn't call Blizzard ecological plastic though because they wear faster than regular Champ or Star.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby twmccoy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Yeah, they do seem like they could wear quickly. That was one of the things that put me off pro plastic. I'm definitely not going to replace my bag with these, but I do think they fly well.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Return to Equipment