Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:56 am

keltik wrote:FTT I'm not sure it would do anything really different from the Destroyer. less fade maybe? It feels like a wraith but flies like a good Destroyer. I may be off on that assessment.

That's fine by me, considering Destroyers tend to only come out flat (or vulcan-ized) as of recent. If its a good Destroyer with more glide and less fade, I'll probably make the switch.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 am

okay in that case yes by all means use the sword.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Good stuff. Any reason I would need something between Swords and my Teebirds? Would a stable and understable Champ Beast compliment them well? That's what I plan to test out.

I picked up an orange 167 VIP with moderate dome and low PLH and a blue 174 VIP with moderate dome and high PLH. Neither are flat, as I suspect those would be the least reliable to come out of a turnover.

BTW, Wade at DGC is awesome. He is quick to respond. Shameless plug.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby pask2155 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:08 pm

For what it's worth you shouldn't really need anything between them. If anything something real overstable in speed 9 like a pd or pred. But really a teebird should get you to 350' and 350'+ should probably roll out the sword... Just my thoughts. I think a beast would have to much overlap on the sword... Unless you have great power and want an under stable disc...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby JR » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:01 am

If you don't mind throwing the Teebird annied then you might survive with them but even VIP Swords flip a little in stiff headwinds so a beefier PD or FB/Z Predator could prove useful. If you have problems with right turns then the Beast should help.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby slowarm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:04 am

Beast and Tournament Plastic Sword might overlap.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:19 am

Thanks for the advice. I have a domey, low PLH 167 Champ Beast that might make it into the bag as a place holder if the 167 VIP isn't flippy enough at first.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:46 am

Not terribly though. The Sword is almost Destroyer so if you think that the Destro and the beast overlap then yes. I need straighter discs than the Destro or the Sword so i can justify the Beast even for straight shots and the Sword isn't the best anny disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discspeed » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:58 am

JR wrote:Not terribly though. The Sword is almost Destroyer so if you think that the Destro and the beast overlap then yes. I need straighter discs than the Destro or the Sword so i can justify the Beast even for straight shots and the Sword isn't the best anny disc.

The Sword is a good deal straighter than the Destroyer. TPs don't fade much and my 169 VIP also has very little fade to speak of. Even my 175s have very little fade on a 400' shot.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby pask2155 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:38 am

The only good Anny discs I've found for that speed is a beat in disc of whatever mold you like. For me it's wraiths... A beat star wraith is sick to Anny without them fading out on you
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby JR » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:23 pm

discspeed wrote:
JR wrote:Not terribly though. The Sword is almost Destroyer so if you think that the Destro and the beast overlap then yes. I need straighter discs than the Destro or the Sword so i can justify the Beast even for straight shots and the Sword isn't the best anny disc.

The Sword is a good deal straighter than the Destroyer. TPs don't fade much and my 169 VIP also has very little fade to speak of. Even my 175s have very little fade on a 400' shot.

While the fade of the Sword is less than with the Destro it still isn't that straight for me at 390' but granted the manufacturer said to me that mine (TP) is FR which is more
overstable than the rest. I tried a later run VIP and it had the same fade so a later TP should be straighter. Just how much is interesting because it would make it longer for me and i'm always in the hunt for a straight disc that can handle some winds. Beasts need hyzer compensation in headwinds. The regular VIP and FR TP do flip in a moderate headwind too so i'm afraid it might not be an improvement on the Beast but with a harder fade it would provide more safety against missing right.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:34 pm

JR wrote:
discspeed wrote:

While the fade of the Sword is less than with the Destro it still isn't that straight for me at 390' but granted the manufacturer said to me that mine (TP) is FR which is more
overstable than the rest. I tried a later run VIP and it had the same fade so a later TP should be straighter. Just how much is interesting because it would make it longer for me and i'm always in the hunt for a straight disc that can handle some winds. Beasts need hyzer compensation in headwinds. The regular VIP and FR TP do flip in a moderate headwind too so i'm afraid it might not be an improvement on the Beast but with a harder fade it would provide more safety against missing right.

I ordered a blue 174 VIP. It was said to have the tallest dome and highest PLH in the batch. I'll report back if I can get a good test into some headwinds.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:40 am

The domey blue VIPs are my main Swords. It can be controlled on 400'ish shots into headwinds up to 10-15mph, after which it's too unpredictable. At that point the Villain is money.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:23 pm

discspeed wrote:The domey blue VIPs are my main Swords. It can be controlled on 400'ish shots into headwinds up to 10-15mph, after which it's too unpredictable. At that point the Villain is money.

They arrived yesterday. My 174 blue VIP is flatter than what I was hoping for, but not flat. It's a great driver for controlled shots out to 400', and it can handle a little headwind (winds were 6-8 mph today - not a problem at all). Maybe the fade is supposed to be about half of a new Star Destroyer, but that's what I am getting out of it.

My 167 VIP has a slightly taller dome and is a notch more stable.

These are money. I'm expecting FR Quasars to compliment them well.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:24 am

Swords are pretty flat which makes forehanding them easier than Destros for smaller hands at least but i know larger pawed guys preferring flat discs too. Swords should fade less than Destros but if thee fade is half i really need to try how TPs fly these days :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment