Rate my power and advise please.

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Rate my power and advise please.

Postby Lyon » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi all I have been lurking for a while and have benefited so much to everybody's posts.

This is my first year playing and i am loving it. I would like to get some advise on what disks to get in the near future as my power is increasing.

Currently I am throwing max at 360-370 ft. I am using disks that weigh around 168 for the longer ranges. The disks I am throwing that far are a Surge, Latt 64 vision and River (175g river), gateway Apache.

I can flip over a 166g diskcraft stalker but a 173 stalker will hold up pretty good. The 175g river will do a nice "S" flight for me if I give it a hyzer or fade out for me if I thow it flat. If I throw a 175g surge it is clear I don't have the juice yet (but it is getting better and I see some serious potential) as it will only do about 340ft and have a strong hyzer finish but the 165 surge will go straight with only a slight hyzer finish out to 360 ft.

I am just now starting to get a more fluid throw and better whip. It is not consistent but every now and then I have hit another level in power/distance and break through my current plateau. When that happens I am assuming that some or all of the current disks will be to under stable as they are flying straight now or am I wrong? None of the disks are above a 10 speed and the slower ones are 173-175g which is helping but the 165 surge had gotten a little flippy on me a few times when thrown hard.

What are your thoughts and suggestions moving into the next year for me?

Many thanks,

Matt
Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lyon
Noob

Re: Rate my power and advise please.

Postby cubeofsoup » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:30 am

How is your putting?
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby Lyon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:53 am

Coming along. I am still playing around with form but there are times when I am satisfied with how I am doing. If I get outside the circle things can start getting pretty sketchy but at this point I am not expecting a lot at that distance.
Lyon
Noob

Postby allsport1313 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:16 pm

What are these disks you speak of?
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby Lyon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:23 pm

I believe the disks I am driving with are mentioned in the first post.

The main distance disc tho is a 165g surge.
Lyon
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:42 am

Welcome. All of those discs are plenty fine and are useful when you add distance. Grammar police hit upon the word disk like you noticed and corrected in your previous post.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby cubeofsoup » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:50 am

Speaking from the perspective of someone who is quick to go try new molds, then ends up using the "old reliables" anyway, try picking up fresh versions of what works for you to combat wear-induced-under-stability. Specifically, you already have a heavier, more stable Surge to take over for full power duties once the lighter Surge becomes too flippy.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Return to General Discussion