speed thrills

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

speed thrills

Postby aerohusker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:15 pm

Ok, so here's a really dumb question, so I'll just throw it out there. Will a high speed disc (12,13,etc.) give me (a older guy) more distance? If I can only hit 280-310, will I get more distance with a higher speed disc and if so what would I be giving up? Would a Vulcan or Katana go farther then a Valk or Beast with the slower arm speed?
Thanks
aerohusker
Noob

Favorite Disc: R-Pro Roc

Re: speed thrills

Postby keltik » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:41 pm

This is a slightly loaded question. You can get more distance if you use blizzard plastic. And since you are an older player you probably won't be developing more arm speed so ultralight flippy discs are your new friend.

With faster discs you tend to lose accuracy depending on your current skillset.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Steady 26542 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Try the Zero-G Quasar or Blizzard Boss. I'm 58 and hit 400' once with a 145 Z-G Quasar. My longest throw ever. Finding the perfect weight for you is the trick. I went in 5g increments before I found my best distance disc. These things bomb!
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby iacas » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:28 pm

aerohusker wrote:Ok, so here's a really dumb question, so I'll just throw it out there. Will a high speed disc (12,13,etc.) give me (a older guy) more distance? If I can only hit 280-310, will I get more distance with a higher speed disc and if so what would I be giving up? Would a Vulcan or Katana go farther then a Valk or Beast with the slower arm speed?

Others can correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard the higher "speeds" are better thought of as having higher "speed requirements" for the disc to perform properly. So a speed 12 or 13 disc requires more speed for the disc to perform properly than a speed 8 or 9. So it's conceivable or even likely that you can't get more distance out of a higher "speed" disc.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby Varsi » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:55 am

iacas wrote:
aerohusker wrote:Ok, so here's a really dumb question, so I'll just throw it out there. Will a high speed disc (12,13,etc.) give me (a older guy) more distance? If I can only hit 280-310, will I get more distance with a higher speed disc and if so what would I be giving up? Would a Vulcan or Katana go farther then a Valk or Beast with the slower arm speed?

Others can correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard the higher "speeds" are better thought of as having higher "speed requirements" for the disc to perform properly. So a speed 12 or 13 disc requires more speed for the disc to perform properly than a speed 8 or 9. So it's conceivable or even likely that you can't get more distance out of a higher "speed" disc.

Some warp speed discs are so understable that they can't actually be thrown as fast as you'd think from numbers. Thanks to the understability they give easier distance for some. They also tend to have quite a bit of fade once they slow down tho.
I'm no expert on these tho. Can only make guesses on why those speed 13 and so discs actually tend to get further even for players with less arm speed.

Also I think that if that extra range is like 10-20 meters with loss of accuracy it really isn't worth it. That said I had a lot of fun with Opto air Halo. Need to get a couple of those.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby PMantle » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:23 am

I have short fingers, and I reach a point with the rims where I just don't throw them as well. The Archon rim is as wide as I can go, and even with that, I get some bad throws from time to time due to it. It's clearly my longest disc, but not over the course of ten throws due to the few bad ones I'll get.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Return to Equipment