improved your game

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: improved your game

Postby Stringbean » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:40 am

Reading the technique section of this forum, buying a basket for putting practice, and lots of field practice.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

improved your game

Postby Cavere » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:37 pm

The beginning of the year I decided I wanted a viable backhand drive. I have always been a RHFH driver for long distance but have a hard time scaling it down for shorter holes. Using a three finger grip also helped a lot until I was ready to power grip my drives.

On that same notion driving with putters and mids had helped a ton as well as a short forehand flick any shot with my putter for approaches. I now don't have problems getting around trees as much and make a lot more approach shots outside of 50'.
katana--Boss--Surge--Orc--Monster--Roadrunner--Eagle--Buzz--FR Ion
subject to change almost each and every day!
Cavere
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:35 pm

My original plans where to practice a ton and attend around 15 tournaments this year. This did not happen. However, I have played a ton of casual, league, and drinking rounds this year. Since I play the same course every time I started practicing doing the same shots with drastically different discs. I have improved my control on almost all my discs.

One of my main problems has always been powering down. I hard a hard time throwing a buzzz only 200-250ft. So I worked on powering down discs (especially mids) and also practiced stand stills, one steps, and mini x-steps. It has helped my short range control greatly.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby abarker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:03 am

Just going out to the field and throwing discs over, and over and over has made a huge impact on my disc golf game. I have more distance and accuracy. The repetition you can get doing it this way is so much more than what you can get by just playing rounds on the course.
Find The Perfect Disc
http://InfiniteDiscs.com

abarker
Noob

Favorite Disc: Latitude 64 Saint

Postby limonsock » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 am

Practicing with slower drivers!
Not being able to play for 4 month and breaking 2 ribs playing ultimate followed by a month on the couch: this led to a weak and disheveled version of myself, therefore when i went out to field test for the first time in 4 months the other day, i grabbed a stack of slower and understable drivers instead of my typical bombers (heavy z nuke, champ boss, star katana, caliber all go around 400').
A bunch of these throws wound up going really far (about 360ish) with much less effort than i throw my heavy hitters; therefore, they were much easier to aim.
When I throw the max weight speed 12 and 13 blazers i've gotten used to i wind up running all over the field to pick them up. These slower discs werent going as far, but i was managing to land them all within 20 feet of each other.
I'm currently thinking that sacrificing 20-40 feet of distance for more consistent throws and a much less tired arm should be a nice boost to my scores and shoulder durability.
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Favorite Disc: today its a comet

Postby Dbuntu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:02 pm

That's rough, limon.My only Ultimate injury for the year was an ankle sprain. Hope 2013 goes easier on you.

Biggest improvement to my game was selling off and loaning out a lot of my plastic. All the high speed stuff is out, all the expensive plastic is out. I'm only carrying 2 drivers, 1 mid, and 2 putters. Simple is working great for me.
Throwing slower = more accurate = haven't lost a disc in ages.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Previous

Return to General Discussion