Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:58 am

JR wrote:Swords are pretty flat which makes forehanding them easier than Destros for smaller hands at least but i know larger pawed guys preferring flat discs too. Swords should fade less than Destros but if thee fade is half i really need to try how TPs fly these days :-)

I was just stoked on a new disc, so I was exaggerating a little. It did have less fade, as expected, just not half.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:20 am

DS, how long you been rocking the Sword/villian combo? I have a pink Opto Villian that goes in and out of the bag depending on if I want to lose a destroyer or not and I've been getting good results with it when I do. What's your set up look like?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby discspeed » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:38 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:DS, how long you been rocking the Sword/villian combo? I have a pink Opto Villian that goes in and out of the bag depending on if I want to lose a destroyer or not and I've been getting good results with it when I do. What's your set up look like?

I've been using the Sword since they came out, however long ago that was. I started hating wide rims again this spring and put in the Villain for my OS Quasars. Here's my current setup:

169 Red VIP Sword...This one really bombs...It has about the same dome and PLH as my heavy ones, but it's better on high, max D, and turnover shots. It's slightly understable, but will hold a long turn when I mash it.
175 Blue VIP Sword...This is my original Sword (which is really why this driver rocks) and it is still nicely stable and controllable...I use it controlled distance shots/low shots/and when it's a bit too windy for my lighter one.

174 yellow Opto Villain--This one is a bit flatter than my other and has a lower PLH. It's a really good headwind distance driver and calm weather hyzer disc, but it's not overstable enough to hold a hyzer into the wind. For most applications though it's much more useful than my other one.
175 pink Opto Villain--it's a bit domey and quite overstable. This one was my original and now it's pretty much a wind disc for when it's too extreme for my other one.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby BLURR » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:50 pm

So...last fall I happened to get a TP Sword in a trade and didn't really care for it. And so with all the Lat64/Westside/DD love starting to go on...I thought I would give it a chance again since I am really liking the DD Trespass. So I snagged a couple TP Sword's in a trade and started throwing them last week. Boy howdy does this disc go far. It is the perfect compliment to my Trespasses. I have a BioFuzion Trespass that is pretty beefy, a lucid trespass that is straight to slightly overstable, a TP Sword that has a little beat on it so it will go straight'ish and a TP Sword that is understable. These four together make a really great distance lineup. It's almost like the Trespass is to the Sword, what the Teebird is to the TL for me.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:53 pm

discspeed wrote:174 yellow Opto Villain--This one is a bit flatter than my other and has a lower PLH. It's a really good headwind distance driver and calm weather hyzer disc, but it's not overstable enough to hold a hyzer into the wind. For most applications though it's much more useful than my other one.

Da fuq? Did you beat it in or is it an oddball? Them things is pigs.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Booter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:02 pm

Might be an oddball,i threw one pink opto vill and it was like his yellow. I go buy 4 more and theyre beefier than all hell.

Oddball or inconsistent. I really hoped that the first vill i threw,was what it was supposed to be. I throw giants now and they feel better to me.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:16 pm

GL Villian is tits Boot, I love them. Giant's cool too though.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:23 am

I bought a yellow VIP Sword based on the praise here but i don't know when i get to throw it in good conditions outside and not just into a tarp. I really hope that this disc does not belong to the unmarked first run of 1000 discs like the ones i've thrown so far. I hope that the fade is milder on this one but i also hope that it is more wind tolerant. In calm weather FR Swords are plenty overstable in the high speed part but mine are not good in a headwind being unpredictable about flipping or not and if they do i don't know how much. I hope i did not waste my money getting more of the same.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Varsi » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:30 am

Same camera settings, discs in same position, right image flipped.

I do like both of these. The blue TP Sword (175g) hold pretty well in headwinds and the yellow (172g) is my distance disc at the moment.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby JR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:07 am

I had almost a foot of snow and no tees to contend with so i only tossed stand stills BH and FH with my new yellow VIP 174 Sword and it seems to be a much more benign disc than the first runs i have. The new disc holds anny for a long time and does not want to start the fade quickly or that hard. So far the distance potential and the better straightness of the finish needs more exploration in good conditions. I assume this disc could be speed 12 Beast meaning being the big brother being faster and more LSS. Probably close in HSS too. I need data but imagination wise and contrasting to other discs and factoring in only stand stills the results were so nice that i'm afraid of building up too much hype for myself. So far so good but i want grippy solid ground!!!!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:54 pm

Booter wrote:Might be an oddball,i threw one pink opto vill and it was like his yellow. I go buy 4 more and theyre beefier than all hell.

Oddball or inconsistent. I really hoped that the first vill i threw,was what it was supposed to be. I throw giants now and they feel better to me.

I don't know how much of an oddball the yellow is as I have another just like it. I'm going to give the Giant a try and I'm currently messing with the Prodigy D1 as I would like something a little longer than the Villain.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Booter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:17 pm

D1s were slightly overstable but not as much as a giant or good opto vill.

They were pretty dumpy at the end pf the flight and i didnt like that.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby cubeofsoup » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:35 pm

How can I acquire a sword that has the Kalevan Miekka stamp on it? The Finnish stamped discs are ever cooler.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:42 pm

If you have time to wait maybe you can get an online US vendor to order one for you when they next order new discs from Lat/Westside. Or you can order from at least http://www.frisbeepoint.fi or http://www.powergrip.fi Postage and taxes and customs can be murder though so you will probably end up paying more than for a dyed disc.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby cubeofsoup » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:48 pm

I should just take a vacation to Finland. Realistically, maybe I'll ask marshall street if they can order some for me or something.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment