Help a noob with his bag.

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help a noob with his bag.

Postby nick344 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:41 am

OK folks I have been playing a very short time and went crazy buying several different disc tiring to find the "perfect" disc for me. Here is a list of what I have. What would you put in your bag?

Drivers
dx valk 150g
nuke 169g
dx wraith 166g
champ ape 172g
champ teebird plus mold 165g
blizzard teedevil 136g
champ sidewinder 168g
dx archangel 175g
dx teebird 166g
d line cyclone 149g

Mids
dx roc 168g
dx shark 180g

Putter
avair 175g
nick344
Noob

Favorite Disc: roc

Re: Help a noob with his bag.

Postby Fenrir » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:04 pm

First thing is how far are you throwing?
Next is fh or bh or both?
I would say to start by just keeping the avair roc and cyclone and really work on form and making the discs do what you want them to.
Also I try to keep my discs close in grams just for timing e.i. putters 170, Mids 175, and fairways 170 give or take 2-3g.
Hope that helps a bit
Challenger-Comet-Roc-Eagle x-Leopard-Predator
Fenrir
Noob

Favorite Disc: z buzzz

Postby nick344 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:56 pm

I throw both but bh the most. I have not measured my throw yet. I would say mid 200's now. If I throw my disc in a field the wraith is the most distance. I throw the nuke fh best. The light weight cyclone I picked up from a store closing and it was the last one they had I could not pass up $3.50.
nick344
Noob

Postby Fenrir » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Try and stick with putters and Mids till you can get a putter to 200 and a mid to 250. You wanna get your form to be good before you start tossing anything with more speed
Challenger-Comet-Roc-Eagle x-Leopard-Predator
Fenrir
Noob

Favorite Disc: z buzzz

Postby keltik » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:49 pm

nick344 wrote:Drivers

nuke 169g
dx wraith 166g
champ ape 172g
blizzard teedevil 136g
the above four require better technique to be useful. You may want to set these aside until you are throwing your other drivers with decent distance (350'+) and control. There is nothing wrong with these you just may not get the best out of them just yet.

dx valk 150g
champ sidewinder 168g
dx archangel 175g
These three should serve as your "distance drivers" for right now. The 150 Valk and the SW probably do the same things for you now. You may want to pick between the two. the archangel I can't speak for. but you could probably learn rollers with it.

champ teebird plus mold 165g
dx teebird 166g
d line cyclone 149g
some would argue these overlap but I disagree. the cyclone is a better line shaper than the TB and the lighter weight will allow you to get more out of it right now. the + mold TB will be more overstable and complement the dx well. You should throw these three discs more than your other drivers. they are easier to control and to range.

Mids
dx roc 168g
dx shark 180g
Normally these two don't overlap but with the weights you have they probably will. I would say pick the one that feels best and go with it. there are legions of loyal roc-heads out there that will tell you the roc is all you need (they wouldn't be wrong really.) but for now just pick the one you like. Also don't be afraid to throw these from the tee.

Putter
avair 175g
picking a putter is a spiritual endeavor in disc golf. It can also be costly. The only advice I can offer is if you find one you like, buy about 5 of them that feel identical (identical weight also) and practice with them constantly. also don't be afraid to drive with these on short holes.

there you have it.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby nick344 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks for the great advise. I have thrown the shark yet. It was a to good of a deal to pass up. Any advise on buying disc so they overlap?
nick344
Noob

Postby keltik » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:22 pm

http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/discgo ... Chart1.pdf

The guy that started this site maintains this chart. It's more useful than most because it gives a power requirement for each disc (listed on the left hand side). It gives Innova style flight numbers for all discs in current production and then the power number basically says "disc x will fly with these numbers if you throw at least y distance." It's a good reference guide.

Sometimes you have to buy different discs that overlap in flight to figure out which one you like better or fits your game better. Also the discs you use will change as you gain experience and learn new skills etc. DG is a lifetime sport/activity and can get expensive.

It's also a good idea to check the forums here and at DGCR (they have more traffic) when a new disc comes out. Others are quick to buy and often can give a review that could mimic your probable experience. Be careful on DGCR they can be weird over there.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion