DGCR makes me want to bang my head against a wall

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: DGCR makes me want to bang my head against a wall

Postby Leopard » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:56 pm

jsun3thousand wrote:damn it zam, i don't want to go on a pixies binge. not when the new remastered extras from mellon collie and the infinite sadness just leaked.

mellotron only version of tonight tonight, sythn mix of zero, jellybelly, a rough mix of transformer, an early raw version of here is no why, two versions of thru the eyes of ruby. it almost makes up for the past 12 years of crap.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?????
holy shit. i'm all over that MCIS goodness, thanks for the heads up!

this past sunday i worked an 18 hour shift at home, prepping all the cyber monday stuff. decided to listen to everything Pixies/Breeders that i have. fan-tastic. do the binge... it's tasty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taBps3Uz4ZQ
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby keltik » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:03 pm

You didn't do it right if you left out The Amps...
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Parks » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:26 pm

The Amps having the distinction of mostly sharing a song with Guided By Voices that kicks ass called "I Am Decided."

If you want to binge, then listen to GBV and all of Robert Pollard's output, but only if you have about a couple months straight set aside for it. Its a poor hit-to-miss ratio, but I bet someone could pare down a list of Uncle Bob's output to a week of great music.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jsun3thousand » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:52 am

i have to stick to post-rock, shoe gazer, and spacey stuff with no/minimal lyrics right now because i'm in paper writing mode. when i'm done i'll get back to the pixies. the mcis stuff was too much to resist.

Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Favorite Disc: #63

Postby Parks » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:07 am

New Godspeed You Black Emperor record is pretty good for stuff like that.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Leopard » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:54 pm

I've never gone too deep into GBV or Pollard but I love the shallow selection I have and the lessons he's brought us. My writing bro loves Bob to the deepest depths so I stay hands-off that realm of influence. Of the little stuff I have, Bright Paper Werewolves (below) is my bible song. It's rich with brilliant moves. RE: Bob and Charles, if not for them, you'd see me making sense and palatable carefully-rendered illustrations.

Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby Skulboy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:41 pm

tbird888 wrote:Some of us even remember watching Black Francis writhe around on stage in a black dress in the 80s, and it was from Surfer Rosa.

I got to see the Pixies play in a tiny club in Rochester, NY during their Surfer Rosa tour. outstanding show before I knew they were my favorite band.
I think I even teared up a little while watching the 2004 reunion tour DVD, Pixies Sell Out, when all the youngsters in the crowd were singing along while the band played.
Skulboy
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: star valkyrie

Postby jsun3thousand » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:23 pm

god speed is a classic for for reading and writing. pretty much all my academia friends that have good taste love god speed. they usually love my bloody valentine,too. if you like those two, we'll be good friends. russian circles is great for getting the required busy work done.

i did see the breeders play two years ago and i wasn't that impressed. kim deal was a wreck. she was full of gibberish and said she had never been to lawrence before. she has been to lawrence plenty of times. the only semi-successful band i have seen in worse shape was L7. it was right around when they called it quits. rene couldn't even figure out why her bass wasn't working. once she got help with that and they started it playing, it just got worse with equipment failures and the such.

i have seen scott lucas from local h go from functional drunk to stumbling mess by the end of a set plenty of times. he at least knew where he was and his drunk rants were funny, most of the time. not as good as his gacked out of his mind rants. those gacked out shows were the best, the energy at those shows was so insane. hometown crowd knowing every song and every word+ the metro packed beyond capacity+local h gacked and riding the success of pack up the cats = some of the best shows i have ever seen. probably the closest i'll get to knowing what it was like to see nirvana pre-in utero in a small venue.

this is from five years after local h peaked in popularity.

jump to 4:40 for the rant. listen to the song if you want, it an ok example of local h live. the bottle of maker's mark on the amp is classic scott lucas.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Postby Leopard » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:43 pm

i don't know if y'all remember the few months in '08 when pixies lyrics in the Location field was cool, but i'm bringing it back.

along with a long-lost tittie avatar
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby jsun3thousand » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:21 pm

i don't remember. i must be having a good shame.
jsun3thousand

Postby keltik » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:02 pm

I remember.

I think someone needs to make a DGCR account under the handle "High Fivin' MotherChucker"

aaah yes the booby gifs. pre-crash DGR at it's finest.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Flipflat » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:35 pm

fuck all ya'll francis is ok; mike patton has better range fatih no more ftw on the 90s nostalgia

I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Leopard » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:01 pm

Dude Patton is the shit. He's influenced me as a samplerist and vocalist / vocal arranger. I like FNM a lot but California is my favorite Patton ever.

While we're on the best of the 90s, Failure is the most biblical. Albini did their debut Comfort; amazing prototype In Utero. Self-produced Magnified. Self-produced Fantastic Planet, the bible of textural spacey sampler rock.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby Flipflat » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Aye, but Bungle broke the music/absurdest barrier for me, never got into it, although for interwebforum chest beating purposes I must mention I saw Bungle in concert at st. andrew's like 10 years ago
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Leopard » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:04 pm

if you view California in isolation, it's the untouchable genius of that band. i have a totally different appreciation for their other stuff, it suits me way less. same with Phish, i like their best albums (rift, billy).. forget the jams and live stuff for me. outstanding song albums from overly proficient bands.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.