help with aim

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

help with aim

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:51 pm

i throw rhbh with a valkyrie, an eagle, a buzzz, and a firebird. im relativly new. i use a three finger power grip with my pinky tucked away. and i pull straight across my chest. i still havnt quite figured out how i supposed to aim with more accuracy. or how to control how far my shot is going. i also use a x step running up. any tips?
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Favorite Disc: Truth

Re: help with aim

Postby keltik » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:05 pm

slow down your throwing motion and point your shots with your right shoulder. slowing down your throwing motion just helps all sorts of issues.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:07 pm

thanks.ill give it a try
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:37 am

Welcome.

The right elbow pointing means that you should move the right elbow well closer to the target than your right side right hand back hand before you straighten the arm. Also the knees and navel should point 90 degrees to the left of the target when the elbow is closer to the target than the side. Also known as the right pec position.

If you go in with a loose arm and accelerate hard given enough power from the right pec position it is possible to feel the weight of the disc pressing against the fingers. If you move that feel straight back to front and hold on long enough to the disc the thumb nail points at the target when the disc rips out. So you can point with the thumb for aiming. You can look at the target and try to move the arm toward the target too.

Distance can be controlled by standing still, sneaking in the x step or taking it fast or even having run up steps before the x step. The faster you go the harder it is to aim well so you should begin field training by making stand stills progressing to sneaking speed when your form stays clean and so on. Moving the eyes to the right side will help in steadying the sight long enough to aim visually.

Another way to reduce distance is to throw slower and/or reaching back less and reducing the amount how far away from the target the feet point.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:48 am

Great advice.makes perfect sense.thanks a lot
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:10 pm

Also you don't need to move the left leg beyond the right in the x step in accuracy drives which can make the approaches more accurate and definitely more consistent. also check my signature for more legwork stuff that is geared for accuracy and consistency.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique