The Newest Greatest thing you just figured out

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Newest Greatest thing you just figured out

Postby JR » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:08 am

My favorite winter time gear that is not a tacky disc further tackied up by whatever goo you use like beeswax or some bowling or baseball tacky stuff are light grippy shoes that do not limit the mobility of my ankle. Light mobility retaining shoes make walking much less taxing and good grip (it helps to have grip enhancers) reduce slipping on each step so the experience is much nicer. What you need for low tops in the winter is the fave gear of mine -Sealskinz water proof socks. They don't go infinitely high so using downhill skiing pants that seal the pant legs from the snow getting in under the top of the socks means that i almost never get snow thus moisture inside the pants.

It does not hurt to have 800 grams per square meter material in merino wool socks inside the Sealskinz in colder weather :-) Polar explorers use those.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Disc Golf Live » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:50 am

discspeed wrote:Looks like I may be moving back to MI next year, so I'm already getting my mind back into winter golf mode (even though where I'm at now it will be 80 degrees today).

Now there's some good news. A guy can stand only so much FL weather, after all.

We may hit 60 today here, don't fret too much. Getting a nice blast of southern air. We'll leave the gate unlocked for you, let us know when you head back to MI!
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:48 pm

I predict MVP plastic to show their Mr. Hyde side in the MI winter :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:51 pm

JR wrote:I predict MVP plastic to show their Mr. Hyde side in the MI winter :-)

Does this mean slippery or prone to shattering or what?
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:55 pm

JR wrote:My favorite winter time gear that is not a tacky disc further tackied up by whatever goo you use like beeswax or some bowling or baseball tacky stuff are light grippy shoes that do not limit the mobility of my ankle. Light mobility retaining shoes make walking much less taxing and good grip (it helps to have grip enhancers) reduce slipping on each step so the experience is much nicer. What you need for low tops in the winter is the fave gear of mine -Sealskinz water proof socks. They don't go infinitely high so using downhill skiing pants that seal the pant legs from the snow getting in under the top of the socks means that i almost never get snow thus moisture inside the pants.

It does not hurt to have 800 grams per square meter material in merino wool socks inside the Sealskinz in colder weather :-) Polar explorers use those.

Light, NON-BULKY shoes are a necessity. I too prefer low tops but I have mids and even high tops which are ok. The huge, heavy, wide boots are unacceptable. I already have one ball and chain. I can't take another.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:39 am

[quote="JHern"][quote="BradC"][quote="JHern"]Mark, I've just learned that I'm left-eye dominant, but I'm right-handed. I think this is important, especially for putting, but I haven't figured out how to use the knowledge to my benefit.

JHern,

I am not a trained psychologist but perhaps I have figured out your problem. Your eyes blur because you IMAGINE (quite vividly) there is a naked, voluptuous woman floating above the basket you are putting at. This visual hallucination may have various causes but my suggestion is to take your mind out of the gutter long enough to throw a shot.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Postby JR » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:42 am

I wasn't gonna say anything about it but since Mark pointed it out :-)

Mark MVP discs are pretty slick in warmer weather and horrible in the rain in the summer. No go in winter. Real winter with snow and all. Not some tropical paradise winter which looking by calendar is winter but biologically is summer in there.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby chainsmoker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm gonna have to thank JR and inthedrift for this one. I've put up with cracking skin on my right hand ever since I started playing disc golf in 2003. It usually starts in Novemember and lasts till March. I started out putting some petrolatum based stuff with vitamin E on my hands at night under some cotton gloves. I did this for two weeks and even though I was playing regularly the cracks began to heal and were not ripping open when I played. I had to quit wearing the gloves at night because I was having some weird ass dreams. I've been consistent about using lotion during the day especially after I wash my hands.
I few weeks ago I picked up some O'keeffes working hands at the local hardware and this stuff is the real deal. I put it on before I go to bed and don't have to worry about the gloves. I've even been using the O'keeffes during the day as long as I am not going to play disc golf because it makes your hands feel kind of waxy.
It was kind of a pain at first but now it's part of my routine and I don't have to think about it. So thanks guys for all your advice.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby inthedrift » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:22 am

chainsmoker wrote:I'm gonna have to thank JR and inthedrift for this one. I've put up with cracking skin on my right hand ever since I started playing disc golf in 2003. It usually starts in Novemember and lasts till March. I started out putting some petrolatum based stuff with vitamin E on my hands at night under some cotton gloves. I did this for two weeks and even though I was playing regularly the cracks began to heal and were not ripping open when I played. I had to quit wearing the gloves at night because I was having some weird ass dreams. I've been consistent about using lotion during the day especially after I wash my hands.
I few weeks ago I picked up some O'keeffes working hands at the local hardware and this stuff is the real deal. I put it on before I go to bed and don't have to worry about the gloves. I've even been using the O'keeffes during the day as long as I am not going to play disc golf because it makes your hands feel kind of waxy.
It was kind of a pain at first but now it's part of my routine and I don't have to think about it. So thanks guys for all your advice.

Glad it works for you. That stuff is amazing. :)
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby JR » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:16 am

Cool! How much was it, where did you get it, how much did you get of it and how much do you need to apply it chainsmoker?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby chainsmoker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:16 am

JR wrote:Cool! How much was it, where did you get it, how much did you get of it and how much do you need to apply it chainsmoker?

http://www.okeeffescompany.com/
It cost $5.99 at my local hardware store for a container that is only 3.4 ounces/ 96 grams, but you only use a very small amount at a time. I think this one container will last the rest of the winter. I originally thought I would only use it at night but I have no problem using it during the day, the side effect is it makes your hands feel kind of tacky. Some people may even like the tacky feel while playing disc golf.
It's funny I just realized this company is about 15 minutes from my house.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm all for tacky especially in the winter but that helps a ton in the rain too.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 pm

As I get older my immunity to cold is diminishing (Dammit!) so I am testing new layers, looking for maximum warmth for minimum weight and bulk. I have always been impressed with and relied on high tech stuff (polar tech, gortex, etc.) but recently I have gone old school: wool. Ya know that stuff from sheep which is as old as, well, sheep.

I remember wool from my childhood (roughly the middle ages) as being itchy as hell. Wool has come a long way. Some wool blends are not itchy (smartwool) and some of the more expensive wool products (cashmere, merlino) are not either. Itchiness is less of an issue for a layer which doesn't come into direct contact with skin as well. Since my dabbling in wool is still recent I'm not sure how adaptable it is to different conditions but I'm initially encouraged with the socks, hats and sweaters/windshirts I am testing.

Polar Tech (spun polyester) seems to be much worse at blocking wind but much better at breathing/temperature moderating/not overheating than wool. Polyester is also bulkier but lighter than wool. We have not yet had bitter cold this year so more tests await.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Postby Flipflat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:04 pm

I'll be going to Bandemere in AA tomorrow, and will be wearing my usual winter stuff- cotton tee, a long sleeve thermal, a waffle knit shirt (maybe two), and a hoodie that is lined in fleece. The thermal long sleeve and fleece-lined hoodie are what does it, I think. I've learned over the years that it's never as cold as it seems. Your body adjusts like when stepping into a lake to swim.

Never tried wool socks, I'd be hesitant to try, I'm thinking they'd cause some pretty sweaty feet.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby aerodriver » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:08 pm

Putting twice isn't always a bad thing. I've noticed that my disc golf game has two outcomes: when I drive well, get a good approach shot, but am still too far from the basket to make the putt the first time, and when I drive well and end up parking the approach shot leaving me without putting practice. As woodshedding was mentioned, I've been throwing multiple mids on different lines from my initial drive and then putting from each spot. This way, I am working out all of my options and solidifying my confidence in choosing the right approach to a certain shot.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Latitude 64 Trident

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion