Disc Golf Prodigy

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Prodigy

Postby StarCrockpot » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:09 pm

Do you have anything you can tell us about discs that have the potential to be molded soon?
StarCrockpot
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:16 pm

So a 2 million dollar company is multimillion, is that what we are talking?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby YoungGunLefty » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:57 pm

I know nothing more about the discs except that they are working on them as we speak. And multimillion could mean a lot of different things so I guess like anything we will know when they want us to know.
Team DGA
YoungGunLefty
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pro Boss

Postby Leopard » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm not interested in the players or who they play for. I get it though.

What's with the company? Disc brand only? Disc brand and events, retail, lifestyle, media, etc?

Are the endorsers doing anything, like featuring in content or celebrity products? Is "Prodigy Pros" what will put this company on the map? Is there something wildly different about them? If a big capital investment is in play, is that going toward endorsement and basic operation only or is their money-dick big enough to swing into other arenas like media, events, sport promotion, education, etc?

I mean I don't even know what Mr. Wolfe's causes or pet projects are. Anybody?
I'm excited to see what's coming. Is it old-school? Is it modern twist? Is it tech-savvy? Is it education? Media? How can I get 15k/yr out of it? Is this the 420 Revolution where disc golf claims its rightful title as the sport of enlightened forward thinkers? So many questions.

Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby JR » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:32 am

The name Wolfe is very promising indeed. If there is financial backing from outside the sport it would be the second long term (fingers crossed) outside support into disc golf after Vibram that eventually came into the sport from outside the sport. Exciting times and i'm looking forward to what happens around this bunch of people.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Leopard » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:24 am

JR wrote:If there is financial backing from outside the sport it would be the second long term (fingers crossed) outside support into disc golf after Vibram that eventually came into the sport from outside the sport. Exciting times and i'm looking forward to what happens around this bunch of people.

WHOA. WHAT IF IT'S KEEN?

Pros are all over their nuts. Vibram has made inroads on a market that Keen is clearly interested in cultivating.

My case for a Keen theory:
> Pro Team in place
> Vibram/Merrell competitor
> They got multi millions
> Multi millions from outside the industry = you gotta be selling higher-margin items than just frisbees
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby victorb » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:08 pm

Leopard wrote:> Multi millions from outside the industry = you gotta be selling higher-margin items than just frisbees

One of the most relevant points in this thread or the other speculation thread 'over there'
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby cubeofsoup » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:09 pm

I trust what leopard says, mainly because of his avatar...
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby Leopard » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:15 am

Shit I trust me now too. No sources or secret info. Pure speculative guessing but I'm sure I nailed it.

facebook.com/TeamKeenDiscGolf
Joined Facebook November 20
14 Likes incl. AJ

twitter.com/KeenDiscGolf
9 Follows incl. AJ

2 brand new social accounts followed by AJ in their first two weeks, before any content or posts. that smells like a marketing dept request and/or admin status.

coincidence? the conspiracy expert in me says fuck no, all signs point to keen.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby JR » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:22 am

AJ has been sponsored by Keen for a couple of years already and so have some other top pros.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby ziggy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:12 am

Is this the same Lavonne Wolfe who is a podiatrist??

ding ding
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jobwilson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:44 am

ziggy wrote:Is this the same Lavonne Wolfe who is a podiatrist??

ding ding

Glad to see someone putting a foot on the rumors...
jobwilson
Noob

Favorite Disc: Leopard

Postby Leopard » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:42 am

JR wrote:AJ has been sponsored by Keen for a couple of years already and so have some other top pros.

It's significant that, while the Team has existed for 3+ years, they are just in the last few weeks starting a social media presence. (btw I'm wearing Keen shoes direct from a Team guy's sponsorship... well aware of the existing Team :mrgreen: )

I looked into Merrell too, because if it IS Merrell then I'd expect some counter-fortification by Keen, and I could be mistaking that shoring up against Merrell as signs pointing to Keen.

Case for/against Merrell:
Wolfe has endorsed Merrell in the past, and Merrell/Vibram already work together. Merrell's relatively lower exposure in sponsorship could be the catalyst for starting a new DG wing. However they haven't been telegraphing it over the last few years like Keen. I don't get the impression that Vibram production is such that they'd take on a sub-brand right now, and even in a DGA/DC relationship this big Merrell team would be in competition with Vibram's recruiting and retention. The Keen social pages are fishy and a half. I'm not discounting any Prodigy theories, but I'm not seeing any legs on Prodigy besides discspeed's hint -- and our Wolfe connection is very circumstantial (I mean, stumble across any of the dozen+ DG domains I own?). Keen looks all kinds of suspicious though. If these marketing pros are way on top of their shit, then Keen is less concerned with secrecy and Merrell/Prodigy has achieved killer secrecy.

Also I did a bunch of searching on the Prodigy spelling "ProDG". Interestingly, there is a DGCR user prodg with no posts or activity, registered 6/23/12. That's about the extent of any findings on prodg. And whatever Deity Discs might be, they registered a domain around the middle of the year. Apparently that's NOT a Dynamic-related thing, as I half expected the DD line of plastic to be named some different D's.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby jobwilson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:58 pm

While shoes may be involved, this new venture is not about shoes.

Prodigy is a real venture, and I bet you will know before Christmas.

Leopard wrote:
JR wrote:AJ has been sponsored by Keen for a couple of years already and so have some other top pros.

It's significant that, while the Team has existed for 3+ years, they are just in the last few weeks starting a social media presence. (btw I'm wearing Keen shoes direct from a Team guy's sponsorship... well aware of the existing Team :mrgreen: )

I looked into Merrell too, because if it IS Merrell then I'd expect some counter-fortification by Keen, and I could be mistaking that shoring up against Merrell as signs pointing to Keen.

Case for/against Merrell:
Wolfe has endorsed Merrell in the past, and Merrell/Vibram already work together. Merrell's relatively lower exposure in sponsorship could be the catalyst for starting a new DG wing. However they haven't been telegraphing it over the last few years like Keen. I don't get the impression that Vibram production is such that they'd take on a sub-brand right now, and even in a DGA/DC relationship this big Merrell team would be in competition with Vibram's recruiting and retention. The Keen social pages are fishy and a half. I'm not discounting any Prodigy theories, but I'm not seeing any legs on Prodigy besides discspeed's hint -- and our Wolfe connection is very circumstantial (I mean, stumble across any of the dozen+ DG domains I own?). Keen looks all kinds of suspicious though. If these marketing pros are way on top of their shit, then Keen is less concerned with secrecy and Merrell/Prodigy has achieved killer secrecy.

Also I did a bunch of searching on the Prodigy spelling "ProDG". Interestingly, there is a DGCR user prodg with no posts or activity, registered 6/23/12. That's about the extent of any findings on prodg. And whatever Deity Discs might be, they registered a domain around the middle of the year. Apparently that's NOT a Dynamic-related thing, as I half expected the DD line of plastic to be named some different D's.
jobwilson
Noob

Favorite Disc: Leopard

Postby Leopard » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:03 pm

This coy hints bullshit is extremely feminine.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion