Any help near Pittsburgh PA

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Any help near Pittsburgh PA

Postby jhilton » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:11 am

I have been playing disc golf for over a year now and have been on the same distance plateau for about 9 months. I have tried to read through the articles here but there is so much information, and much of it seems contradictory or eludes my understanding, so I thought I would reach out for some help.

Is there anyone from the Pittsburgh area, who really knows how to throw a driver consistently over 400' AND knows how to teach, willing to work with a fella stuck around the 320s?
jhilton
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Any help near Pittsburgh PA

Postby iacas » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:19 am

jhilton wrote:Is there anyone from the Pittsburgh area, who really knows how to throw a driver consistently over 400' AND knows how to teach, willing to work with a fella stuck around the 320s?

I'm from Erie and have sent some video in to Blake (I owe him my next set here soon), because I was unable to find anyone who would actually "instruct" within 2 or 3 hours of me.

There are some good PLAYERS in Pittsburgh but none who have done anything to make a name for themselves as instructors. If you're in the PFDS, you should ask them. Start with Chris Deitzel. Maybe they know someone who I was unable to find (and if you find someone, please let me know).
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby jhilton » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:23 am

Wow, video critique, that it pretty high tech. Did you use a flip cam or something similar? Does it have the quality/frame rate to allow for an accurate assessment?
jhilton
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby iacas » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:05 am

jhilton wrote:Wow, video critique, that it pretty high tech. Did you use a flip cam or something similar? Does it have the quality/frame rate to allow for an accurate assessment?

I'm a golf instructor so I've got cameras capable of 100 FPS (really low resolution) and 240-400 in usable resolutions. Blake just wanted 30-60 FPS standard video, so I sent three throws from each of three viewpoints.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby keltik » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:12 am

you can use a flip cam, cell phone, digital camera etc. and post the video to youtube and then link it here in a new thread. There are plenty of technique gurus on this site that would be happy to dissect your throw.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Not being present is not ideal but at least video critique is free here :-) So i'd film from the left side of the tee for a right hander to show the technique the best. If up to down is not possible. There have been very low resolution videos that have been sent and they are better than nothing. The higher the frame rate and to a point resolution are the easier it is to detect form issues but don't fret about the quality of the video. As long as you can be seen in it so lighting is the first hurdle the resolution and frame rate next.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique