Beasts of different speed?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Beasts of different speed?

Postby PMantle » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:33 pm

I have mentioned in another thread that my dx and pro Beasts are so different that they might as well be different discs. Well, I just happened to be at Walmart and noticed something. The box with pro Beasts lists them as 11 speed while the box on the DX shows 10. None of the pros have the ratings on the discs themselves. Is this like the Starfire in that the pro is a different disc altogether? The Innova chart does not show different ratings for the two plastics like it does for some of their discs.

Oh, and the only reason this matters to me is I need to replace that Pro with something for into wind shots, as I lost it.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Beasts of different speed?

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:39 pm

They should both be speed 10. There are two Beast molds (the old one is more stable) but everything now should be the "new" mold.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby twmccoy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:05 pm

The new or L beast mold sucks. I think Innova thought the Beast was too close to the Orc so they changed the mold. Now it's a fairly useless flippy POS with no late fade. And yes, they are all speed 10.
Old mold champion beasts are very nice. The new ones not so much.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby PMantle » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:12 pm

I guess this box is wrong then. It's an Innova box though. I'll take a pic when I go back. And yes, the Dx Beast is flippy even for me. The pro I had was not at all. I swear it was a wraith or Satrfire :lol:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:17 pm

Somebody seems to not be current with their info on Beasts. The original new mold Beasts are understable and ok for straight hyzer flips but the ones made in other plastics than DX are much more HSS and about the same LSS as the original new mold Beasts. There is little wrong with not fading hard. There are plenty of assuredly fading discs a fairly straight disc is much more rare so the third kind of Beasts in production now are very valuable. They can handle some wind too and hyzer flipping them flat in a moderate headwind is possible with 400' of power. The newer kind exhibits minimal turn when thrown to 420' and i assume it is still a perfectly usable understable driver for higher powered throwers. POS it ain't. Unless you are trying to throw it in a different role that it suits for your power level. The Beast should not fade hard. If you expect it to you may as well use the Spirit for understable. Read: Not a good idea.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby LumberJack » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:21 am

Nothing at all wrong with new Beasts. Pro Beasts might be a lil quicker than star/champ. When I bag them I carry a pro and champ. Hyzer-flipping madness for 400' helix shots that finish straight or right.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby PMantle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:59 am

Direct from Innova:

It does look like we printed the display box in error at speed 11
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Equipment