Between putter and Buzzz

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Between putter and Buzzz

Postby JR » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:20 pm

At that range it is definitely putter territory. Disc wise also the Spike could work but the Wedge is the thinnest disc also with a very short wing. Wedge fades harder than the other thin discs. Form wise do you jump putt? You can't always jump putt and 125' is a tall order for consistency and there a mid could be better than a putter. A 125' jump putt isn't by any means impossible. I've thrown just over 200' with a 150 mid but struggle with any sort of consistency beyond 135'.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:43 pm

allsport1313 wrote:Hello all,

Looking for some recommendations for a disc to fill the void between my putters and my Buzzz. I guess I'll try to explain what I am looking for, and if anyone has any advice that would be awesome. Btw, this gap in my bag is most apparent in the 100-150 foot range.

I love the flight of my Challengers. They are nice and slow, and just kind of float until they run out of gas and stick right where they hit the ground. However, I've tried and tried and just can't stand how uncomfortable it is to throw a precision shot with a putter rim. Maybe it's my hands being the size of a ten year old girl's, but it feels terrible.

I love the Buzzz but for me it's too fast for this particular range. I've gotten used to powering it down but if I want to make a run at the basket 125' out the Buzzz likes to glide or skip way beyond the basket. So usually, I'm forced to layup short and let it dance around until it stops near the basket. I use it because its super comfortable compared to a putter, power or fork grip no prob.

So basically, does anyone have any recommendations for a disc that is slow and sticky like a putter but with a design that's beefier and easier to grip? Thanks in advance for anyone that responds! :)

If all you want is a shallow rimmed disc without big glide then there are many options: Ringer, Zone, XD, Classic Roc, etc.

It is also possible a putter will work. Your discomfort may be diminished or eliminated with a Challenger (or any putter) with a concave top. A putter with a higher top (slightly domey) will feel very different than one which bows down. Of course with age many putters dip inward. I have relatively small hands and have no problem with concave putters but strongly dislike domey ones.

Even a putter with a deeper rim like a Rattler fits well so long as it is concave.

Since you already like the flight of a Challenger, find an old beat up one and see if it fits better in your hand. A beat up putter may be easier to control for straight shots or annys. Personally, an overstable disc is seldom my choice for short upshots.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JR » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:31 pm

That may be the reason why the Yeti Aviar is shaped concave when new.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby allsport1313 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm

JR wrote:At that range it is definitely putter territory. Disc wise also the Spike could work but the Wedge is the thinnest disc also with a very short wing. Wedge fades harder than the other thin discs. Form wise do you jump putt? You can't always jump putt and 125' is a tall order for consistency and there a mid could be better than a putter. A 125' jump putt isn't by any means impossible. I've thrown just over 200' with a 150 mid but struggle with any sort of consistency beyond 135'.

Nah not a jump putt. I'll just link a video to show the kind of shots I'm talking about to save trying to explain it. In this video at 18:48 and 22:41 Bradley Williams throws some shots pretty much exactly the ones that are in between my putter and buzzz. I can do these shots with either disc I would just love for something in between them, I don't love throwing my putter.

allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:07 pm

I'm willing to bet he's throwing a Wizard of some sort for those shots.

allsport1313 wrote:...I don't love throwing my putter.

Better start.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby allsport1313 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:09 pm

haha alright :/
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Sorry but i have to second what ferretdance said. Approaches and drives with putters teach you fast to improve your form and it carries over to driving with mids and drivers. Too tall putters and the Chally is one for small hands make drives iffy at best until you can figure out a good grip. One thing that held me back for a long time with driving with tall putters was pinching too hard with any finger inside the disc toward the palm. That is why is used thin putters mostly for drives for years.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:32 pm

I have learned to use my putters for lots of shots. If I can reach it, and don't have to curve it really hard, I use them. I could probably shoot the same scores I do now with nothing but 2 drivers and two putters. That would not be nearly as fun though.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby allsport1313 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Just played two rounds throwing my new 175g Opto Pure...... Holy shit, this disc is exactly what I was looking for. I love! Several times very close to my first ace, too.
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Equipment