Help with Captain America Shield Colors.

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help with Captain America Shield Colors.

Postby bfowler » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 am

Ok, so I've only been playing for 4 months and I've decided I want to do my first dye. I've got a 179 White Avenger ESP coming and I'm going to do the Captain America dye. I don't care that it's been done a million times. I've been a huge comics fan for over 30 years and I just want one.

I'm an artist so I don't think I'll have a huge problem doing the dye even though this is my first one. I've worked with all kinds of painting, friskets, airbrushing, etc. My big thing with this is I don't know the colors and since so many people have done Captain America shields my question is what specific dye color make the best red and blue for the shield.

From what I've read around the site the going dyes that work are the Jacquard idye poly and they seem to have 1 red and 1 blue. Different sites show that as a deep violet blue which isn't that great for Cap's shield and I want to get a good blood red, not some orangeish red.

Any help for a 1st timer?
bfowler
Noob

Re: Help with Captain America Shield Colors.

Postby dan howard » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:36 am

I think the iDye would work but I don't use it. Your only other option is RIT, Scarlet and Royal Blue on the Cap'n Indica below.

dan howard
Noob

Favorite Disc: discraft Nuke

Postby eky8 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:57 am

Sorry. I've done the the captain america shield before, but I still use old rit. It might work better to ask that question on the dgcr artwork forum. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/fo ... y.php?f=25
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby bfowler » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:46 am

From reading around I thought the Rit dyes were no longer any good because they changed the formula?
bfowler
Noob

Postby eky8 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:46 am

They did. But I stocked up before the switch. So I haven't changed over to idye poly yet. Rit does still work if you can find older stock.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:35 pm

I believe this is the color combo I used for the red on my Capt America shields that I've done.

http://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide
121 Cool Red

1 Tbs Cherry Red
1 Tsp Cocoa Brown
1 Cup Water
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby bfowler » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks but the link you provided allows me to order but it's the liquid color and I'm under the assumption that none of the liquid Ritt will work on plastic.

I did find some old Ritt at my local Wal-mart but it's was Navy Blue and Black. I went ahead and bought it for other dyes.
bfowler
Noob

Postby eky8 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:39 am

I believe if you call rit they do have some old formula dye sitting around for people who use it to dye plastics.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:26 pm

bfowler wrote:Thanks but the link you provided allows me to order but it's the liquid color and I'm under the assumption that none of the liquid Ritt will work on plastic.

I did find some old Ritt at my local Wal-mart but it's was Navy Blue and Black. I went ahead and bought it for other dyes.

Just find the color that you want, and look for the colors in powder form online. I used to order in batches for a handful of colors that I knew I'd have to blend.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Return to Disc Artwork