the least changed most changed bag in the world

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: the least changed most changed bag in the world

Postby CatPredator » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:19 am

Is there a reason you've not given the Buzzz a shot recently? Wasps have a similar power requirement as Vectors. You have to crush them pretty good to make them hold a line. They're nice overstable mids, but they really like power whereas a Z Buzzz will fly on those lightly seasoned Pro KC Roc type lines much better. X Buzzzes are also pretty money. Based on the fact that you put 3 Axes in your bag, it seems like you'd be a good candidate for throwing a Z and X or ESP in there with the Gator and Comets and see what happens. You could always add a fresh KC Pro Roc if you feel like there's a gap between the Gator and Buzzz.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby victorb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:43 am

When I picked up the axii, I was considering the buzzz as well. I may try those next, I really have no idea what I'm looking for in terms of shape, PLH, dome, etc. Combining that fact with the differences in the plastics available - x, z, glow, Ti, cryztal - I really have no idea where to start.

I rarely throw my kc pro rocs as it is, so I don't think I'd be hurting for that gap between a good 'overstable' buzzz and the gator.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Z Buzz is fine if it has a flat top and a high shoulder and some concavity of the wing.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby victorb » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 am

Added an ESP, Ti, and Cryztal buzzz to the bag to try out for a while. I dig how the Ti flies, it has just a touch of hss brand new, which makes it pretty workable for a buzzz. The esp is pretty straight overall, and the cryztal is a bit overstable - it has a slight dome, which I'd never really seen on a buzzz. I like how it throws too.

Currently:
Drivers:
165 cDD2 blizzard
175 cPD
175 sPD
175 sPD - one to keep fresh, backup
175 pPD
175 pPD - new
171 Z Predator - old dependable.
173 Z Predator - mainly for skip/spike/utility shots, flat and very overstable.
175 sFD - worn in.
175 sFD - fresh. Really looking for a cFD to put in this slot.

Midranges:
175 champ Gator
177 ESP Buzzz
177 Ti Buzzz
176 Cryztal Buzzz
175 z comet, well worn in
176 x comet, super beat

Putters
174 soft X Challenger
176 Medium Summit
174 D Challenger
174 D Challenger
Last edited by victorb on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:35 am

Other than hard hook fades at slower speeds you have everything covered.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby victorb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:13 am

JR wrote:Other than hard hook fades at slower speeds you have everything covered.

I left off the 175 champ gator I've been carrying lately from the list. It's in the bag for short spikes and overstable sidearm approaches, ect.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:29 am

Switched out some stuff to try over the winter.

Currently:
Drivers:
165 cDD2 blizzard
166 cDD2 blizzard - finally starting to get the hang of wide rimmed drivers, I think. Getting way out past 425' on a more consistent basis.
175 cPD
175 sPD
175 pPD - worn
175 pPD - new
171 Z Predator - old dependable.
173 Z Predator - beefcake.
175 sFD - worn in, turnovers and finesse shots.
175 cFD - finally got one of these to try out. has a tall shoulder with a flatter dome than my sFD.

Midranges:
175 champ Gator
176 Cryztal Buzzz - fairly overstable for a buzzz
177 Z Buzzz - some wear
177 ESP Comet - new
175 Z Comet - well worn in
176 Z Comet - super beat, fantastic anhyzer/turnover disc.

Putters
174 soft X Challenger - tee shots and approaches
176 Medium Summit - basically just for forehand anhyzer shots
175 eZe Mercy
175 eZe Mercy

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:48 pm

the experiments with the Buzzz and Mercy didn't last long. I think I must be really settling into my favorite discs because I don't have patience for new stuff if I'm not seeing the sort of results I'd like to quickly.

Challengers were probably not going to leave anyway, and there's no chance they will now that I've seen the size of the bead on the Judge. As for the midrange situation, I'll just stick to my Comets and go with KC Pro Rocs since they don't beat in very fast and don't break nearly as often as dx plastic does.

Mods - if someone wants to close this thread for now I'd be ok with it. I'll probably start a new one for next season after the turn of the new year anyway.

165 cDD2 blizzard - some wear
166 cDD2 blizzard - new
175 cPD - new
175 cPD - some wear
175 sPD - new
175 pPD - worn
175 pPD - new
173 Z Predator - beefcake.
175 sFD - worn in
175 cFD - new

Midranges:
175 champ Gator - beefy
180 Glow KC Pro Roc - new
176 KC Pro Roc - some wear
177 ESP Comet - newish
175 Z Comet - well worn in
176 X Comet - super beat

Putters
176 Medium Summit
174 soft X Challenger - some wear
175 D Challenger
175 D Challenger
Last edited by victorb on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BLURR » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:39 am

The FD is a great disc isn't it? If your C-FD quite a bit more stable to slightly overstable as compared to the S? And welcome back to the Roc side. I have a plethora of DX Roc's, but when they are gone, I will be going the KC route like yourself.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby victorb » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:22 am

I've only had a handful of throws with the cFD, but it's really nice. It has a touch more high speed stability than a new sFD, which is pretty much exactly how I hoped it would be. Fade is similar, and so is the glide. The one I have is a CFR, so I hope that the production runs are the same.

It's good to be back on the Roc/Comet side. I think I've just convinced myself - finally - that my game is reliant on slow midrange discs.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:59 am

Got a couple of classic soft judges to try out for a bit. They feel good in the hand and aren't too floppy for a softer plastic. Considering pairing it with the zero line pure as an under stable compliment instead of a summit.

Also considering trying out the ghost in excel and icon plastic, but would be just fine leaving kc pro rocs in the bag if the don't work for me. Comets are back in as a mainstay since I've found my touch and control with them off the tee again. The gator is a wonderful little sidearm approach disc, and I can do things with it that I can't with an over stable driver.

I fel like my driver setup is as solid as it has ever been, so I don't see myself trying anything new there this winter. None of the new stuff has really caught my eye as possibly being better for me than my PD/FD/Predator setup.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:19 pm

Been quite a while since I posted, mainly because I haven't been playing whatsoever since early January. I had knee surgery on Jan 31st, and I've completely removed myself from the game since then for obvious reasons. The light at the end of the tunnel is next month though, when I should get a full release to do what I want.

Bag is still the same, since it has been sitting in the corner for almost 2 months now...but now I'm really itching to play since the weather is getting nicer. Might try out a fuzion/biofuzion fugitive this spring, and pair those with a goldline pain and the new DD suspect. Loved what I was able to do with Judges last fall/winter, so I'll most likely be getting a fuzion to pair with a soft for driving/approach, and try out the classic plastic for putting. If it's similar to zero line I'm sure I'd like it.

Drivers will probably stay the same, maybe put a blizzard dd2 back in for max D bombs. The trespass is sweet, but I'd like a grippier plastic like fuzion to try out.

Doubt there will be any touring at all for me this year except very locally and one day tournaments almost exclusively at that.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion