How to deal with the cold?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: How to deal with the cold?

Postby inthedrift » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:28 pm

I've noticed that once it's below zero, you really have to consider this when planning your shots. I tend to disc up a bit in the really cold temps.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby andrew » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 pm

Played several rounds the past 2 days in 32-33 degree weather. Wore a hoodie with a long sleeve shirt underneath and jeans and was just fine. Also, kept a hand warmer thing that you shake a half hour before you get to the course in the pocket of the hoodie and blew on my hands a lot to keep them warm because I've always had bad circulation to my extremities. The guy I was playing with a wore a glove only on his non-throwing hand and didn't use a warmer. On the windier day we played the more wooded course. Had a fine time.

The only mystery is how to grip Star plastic in cold weather (based on past experience- I don't currently carry Star)....
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby pask2155 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:14 pm

So we went out today and it was 35 out and we noticed about a 40' drop off in distance. My average is about 400' so we got a few out to that but mostly everything was at 350-360

Just my observation... And the discs seem more over stable...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby JR » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:53 pm

I've lived in polar bear's rear all my life so i can't tell if it's an acclimatization thing and don't know how well you deal with the cold. I don't lose 50' in the cold weather as long as there is traction. So that leads me to believe clothing could be a factor. Too much or the wrong construction and materials plus thickness will have mechanical resistance and being too cold will sap power and slow down the muscles.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Monkeypaws » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Traction, extra layers, less loose muscles, denser air, gloves: all sound like reasons to explain my loss of distance last weekend playing in the snow.
Monkeypaws
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Shark

Postby abarker » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:50 pm

I set up my portable basket in my Garage while it was snowing today. It's not "playing disc golf" but it was good for working on my putting during the "off season"
Find The Perfect Disc
http://InfiniteDiscs.com

abarker
Noob

Favorite Disc: Latitude 64 Saint

Postby JR » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:06 pm

I bought 400 grams per square meter weighing Merino wool long underpants yesterday. They are made by Woolpower and they feel like they can help.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby cubeofsoup » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Push ups are my favorite way to get blood and warmth back into my hands on a cold day. Hand warmers help me sustain warmth but blood needs to get there somehow.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby pask2155 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:56 am

Are discs more over stable in the cold?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:21 pm

pask2155 wrote:Are discs more over stable in the cold?

If your arm speed and snap are lessened by the conditions (poor footing gives less traction or fear of falling, too many layers restrict your movement, etc.) then a disc will fly with greater overstability ( ie...hyzer out sooner and harder).

My experience tells me that cold air restricts glide as well (aside from reduced arm speed and snap) and any disc going slower will also act more overstable.

The biggest difference I notice in cold weather is my discs don't fly as far so I throw faster discs (Nukes) to compensate.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Discs initially fly more understable at colder temps and finish more stable as they slow down. If your flight path is a shallow S in warm weather, it will still be an S shape if thrown the same way in colder weather but the S will be more exaggerated left and right and shorter distance.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Discs initially fly more understable at colder temps and finish more stable as they slow down. If your flight path is a shallow S in warm weather, it will still be an S shape if thrown the same way in colder weather but the S will be more exaggerated left and right and shorter distance.

So winter makes discs more squirelly? I just thought that discs hyzered more because they were flying slower. Is this some type of air pressure thing?

Is there any chance you could explain why this is true in simple enough terms that we non-scientists might understand?
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Postby PMantle » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:24 pm

Might barely get over 60 tomorrow for my round. May have to pack a sweater! Brrrrrrrr.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Just think of it as "thicker" air to fly thru when it's cold. The greater air resistance initially turns the disc out of your hand similar to throwing into a headwind. The greater friction slows the disc down faster so it becomes more stable and doesn't fly as far.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:27 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Just think of it as "thicker" air to fly thru when it's cold. The greater air resistance initially turns the disc out of your hand similar to throwing into a headwind. The greater friction slows the disc down faster so it becomes more stable and doesn't fly as far.

Wow! That is the best scientific explanation I have ever read on this site.

I have been told that no matter how complex the theory it can be broken down into simple components which themselves have simple and clear explanations. Maybe it is true after all.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion