StickNfind - The greatest thing ever invented.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: StickNfind - The greatest thing ever invented.

Postby mzuleger » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:34 pm

knowing my luck I'd use something like this only to find out my disc hit a tree and the sensor got separated from my disc.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby iacas » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:10 pm

mzuleger wrote:knowing my luck I'd use something like this only to find out my disc hit a tree and the sensor got separated from my disc.

Well, at least you'd get the StickNFind back. :) (A piece of tape like you use for the LEDs would probably keep it attached pretty well...)
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby Varsi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:
JR wrote:It looks like the third balls deep now winter in a row here in the south of Finland.

Is that some sort of metric measurement? ;)

I'm pretty sure "balls deep" is universal standard.
Did have to read that a few times to realize what JR was actually saying. Nothing new there.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby JR » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Varsi wrote:
Chuck Kennedy wrote:
JR wrote:It looks like the third balls deep now winter in a row here in the south of Finland.

Is that some sort of metric measurement? ;)

I'm pretty sure "balls deep" is universal standard.
Did have to read that a few times to realize what JR was actually saying. Nothing new there.

My ballls aren't a meter long and i don't know if my legs are that long but for me the last two winters have had enough snow here that when i stand upright and the shoes touch the grass the snow level is high enough to squeeze my jiggly bits up=i'm balls deep in the snow. YMMV does not apply because your gear and leg length varies -not the mileage. What do i know your junk might even be _imperial_ but i don't care except it might suck to take x steps then. In which case sucks to be you :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:59 pm

On a serious note snow and finding a disc is a problem for technology too. Radio frequencies get absorbed by the snow and the range shortens a lot and speakers might get pressed inward to immobilize by the snow so there would not be sound at all and lights need to be really very very strong to illuminate enough snow in areas where the disc can cut through the snow very deep. Over two feet deep here the last two years and rapidly adding all the time.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Varsi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:19 am

JR wrote:On a serious note snow and finding a disc is a problem for technology too. Radio frequencies get absorbed by the snow and the range shortens a lot and speakers might get pressed inward to immobilize by the snow so there would not be sound at all and lights need to be really very very strong to illuminate enough snow in areas where the disc can cut through the snow very deep. Over two feet deep here the last two years and rapidly adding all the time.

The kind of speakers used in these won't have anything that could be pressed by the snow. Sound waves do get dampened by the snow as well tho.
The leds I've used still gave a dim light being over half a meter deep in snow but it needs to be really dark for that to work. Those were leds used in bicycles (to show where you are rather than light the way).
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:35 am

I tried a 22000 millicandela LED last winter and it was good for 20 cm tops of snow penetration in the day. I don't know how much more it would help in the night but the memory is hazy on that. I have checked during a real round the night time street lights skewing the results some and gotten like 25 cm of visibility from under the snow. It isn't bad if you know where to dig because it gives a minimal safety increase for locating the disc but the real advantage is a quicker digging out of the snow because when you're close to the disc removing a little snow is much faster than digging up everything.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Varsi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:10 am

JR wrote:I tried a 22000 millicandela LED last winter and it was good for 20 cm tops of snow penetration in the day. I don't know how much more it would help in the night but the memory is hazy on that. I have checked during a real round the night time street lights skewing the results some and gotten like 25 cm of visibility from under the snow. It isn't bad if you know where to dig because it gives a minimal safety increase for locating the disc but the real advantage is a quicker digging out of the snow because when you're close to the disc removing a little snow is much faster than digging up everything.

Of course this also depends on the kind of snow it is. That over half a meter depth was in light snow that had snowed in january. If it had been heavier snow in less arctic climate it probably wouldn't let light out as well. Of course disc probably wouldn't penetrate that kind of a snow as well either.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:54 am

My test was with thick snow and i pushed the disc into the snow for that test with 20 cm visibility during the day and it was a real throw into a hill side during the night for the approximately 25 cm. You'd be surprised how much a driver can dig into thick snow when the disc lands with a steep hyzer or head on. Even in a thick snow. I've dug up a disc that landed 50' away from where i found it in thin wind blown dry fluffy snow. You can imagine how much digging and time it took. Even for a disc that landed flat. I use discs that fade minimally even if it reduces wind tolerance in the snow so that there's the least chance of digging in or in casae of diving under the surface it will be the least amount possible. That is why i also thrown mild annies when i can to let the disc land as flat as possible. That leaves the longest trail on the snow to find where the disc dove under the surface too.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Equipment