Best Bag - Period

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best Bag - Period

Postby ThrowersDad » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:43 pm

Price no object (pretty much), because it's a Christmas present for my very dedicated disc-golfer son. He already has a budget bag, and I'd like to give him something as great as he is. I imagine he needs a medium to large capacity but I know nothing about this sport, except that my son and his friends love it.

I saw him looking at a Revolution Carolina bag on eBay, so whatever capacity that is, would be appropriate.

Help, please?
ThrowersDad
Noob

Re: Best Bag - Period

Postby BLURR » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Either...

The prodiscus backpack(Available in various colors other than white)

Or grip eq backpack(Available in a few other colors)

Both of these bags are top notch.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby ThrowersDad » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Thanks! These look great. I'm having a hard time locating a retailer. I assume that online is the way to go: any recommendations for etailers?
ThrowersDad
Noob

Postby victorb » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:15 pm

ThrowersDad wrote:Thanks! These look great. I'm having a hard time locating a retailer. I assume that online is the way to go: any recommendations for etailers?

You can buy directly from Grip at gripeq.com, and I think you can buy a prodiscus bag from marshallstreetdiscgolf.com, but I don't know how good their selection is since they get the stock from overseas.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BLURR » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Hit up Devan Owens on Facebook as he has quite a few Prodiscus Backpacks. GripEQ's can be bought online.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby mojorisin35 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:49 pm

mojorisin35
Noob

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:21 am

Can you justify this recommendation with any ways that this is better? Because it looks pretty damn janky compared to a grip or Pro-discus
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:04 am

Janky for the win!!!
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby iacas » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:53 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:Can you justify this recommendation with any ways that this is better? Because it looks pretty damn janky compared to a grip or Pro-discus

I've got all three. I agree that it looks a little goofier.

Off the top of my head:
1) It fits a stool or an umbrella better. You can put them in either of the side pockets and the zipper alone holds it up.
2) More storage space than either (for discs, and that's using available space, not just the two main areas), and certainly no less.
3) Lighter and more comfortable on your back than either of those two bags.
4) Made in the U.S. (if that matters to you).
5) Taller, so you don't have to bend down very far to grab your putter out of the pocket (the PD bag doesn't even stand your putters up - very weird).
6) MUCH easier access to the discs in the corners.

I think that's a pretty good list for bags which are very similar to each other. There may be others (memory foam? But I kind of include that in #3) too but that's off the top of my head.

A negative is that there's no rain fly. He says the umbrella is all you need. I've not tested this yet so I don't know how annoying constantly reaching under a deployed umbrella would be. Probably no worse than reaching under a wet rain fly and less likely to get your arms wet.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby turso » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:55 am

if it's windy the umbrella will be covering someone/something else in the next county, but I am surprised that you said it fits more discs than either PD or Grip bag, it looks so slim in the picture. I have no trouble getting putters stand up in my PD putter pocket, but admittedly I have 4 putters in there at all times so they don't have room to fall.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:08 pm

Are the drink holders insulated? They don't look like it from the pic.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby iacas » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:05 pm

turso wrote:if it's windy the umbrella will be covering someone/something else in the next county, but I am surprised that you said it fits more discs than either PD or Grip bag, it looks so slim in the picture. I have no trouble getting putters stand up in my PD putter pocket, but admittedly I have 4 putters in there at all times so they don't have room to fall.

True about the umbrella, but if it's that windy, your rain fly is going to be flapping around (still the better of the two options perhaps). And true about the four putters... but I carry only two putters. On that I like the method employed by the Grip the most, though I worry that the strap will break or wear more quickly than I'd prefer - but at least they're not just hanging out like in the Challenger. The PD requires you to waste a towel or something to get the putters to stick out of the top.

Steady 26542 wrote:Are the drink holders insulated? They don't look like it from the pic.

Nope. They're big enough that you can fit a coozy or whatever inside them too if you carry smaller bottles (20 oz bottles, taller aluminum bottles, etc.). But not insulated, no. That's never been a concern of mine, and they're insulated on the Grip but only partially insulated on the PD.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Return to Equipment