Monocacy’s bag: forehand now included!

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Monocacy’s bag: forehand now included!

Postby Monocacy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:59 pm

keltik wrote:Looks good!

Thanks!

keltik wrote:I've got a 165 Z Comet if you're interested in a backup.

Could be - I just updated my trade list (including a few ESP Comets around 170). Anything of interest to you?
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby keltik » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:23 pm

I looked. Let me think about it. I'll let you know next week.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Monocacy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:36 pm

Sounds good. I also have a stack of six 150 P PDs ranging from unused to lightly used. They aren't on the list, but I would be willing to trade some/all.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:12 am

It's hard to make suggestions without knowing how far you throw BH now.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Monocacy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:37 am

JR wrote:It's hard to make suggestions without knowing how far you throw BH now.

Fair enough – Consider me “stuck at 300” until proven otherwise. :roll:

Comfortable putter distance has increased from 160’ to 200’, so I am hoping to see improved distance when I play a more open course. My last few rounds have been in the woods, so I was concentrating on accuracy more than distance.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:18 am

I would imagine that a lighter Mamba would fly even farther but maybe a 130s Quasar or DD2 could work too. The added 40' of putter D should add a lot to the drivers so it is somewhat of a guess to recommend anything honestly. What are your experiences of Champ Leopards and Gold line Rivers? They may not fly better than the Diamond for you but it depends on how the Diamond fades for you. There will be more bubble discs from at least 3 manufacturers next season so maybe those bring something nice with them. In the meantime have you tried Starlite Roadrunners? Not as fast as the Mamba but i imagine the fade to be less. I haven't thrown any kind of Mambas.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Monocacy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks for your thoughts, JR.

JR wrote:I would imagine that a lighter Mamba would fly even farther but maybe a 130s Quasar or DD2 could work too.

Have not tried Quasar, but did try a 150 DD2 and don’t have the arm for it. Generally do best with discs at JFC power level 4 and below. I am reluctant to mess with ultra-light drivers as long as I have hopes of improving technique. Different weights = more variables = not good, especially since most of the courses I play reward accuracy more than distance.

JR wrote:What are your experiences of Champ Leopards and Gold line Rivers? They may not fly better than the Diamond for you but it depends on how the Diamond fades for you.

I used to throw 150 Champ Leopards, but find the Diamond more reliable because it has a touch more LSS. I don’t trust the Diamond in a headwind, but otherwise find it very workable on everything from sweeping hyzers to S-curves to drives that finish right. I do have a 161 GL River – the lightest I could find – but found Star Valkyries more predictable.

JR wrote:There will be more bubble discs from at least 3 manufacturers next season so maybe those bring something nice with them.

As a long time 150-thrower, I love having more options.

JR wrote:In the meantime have you tried Starlite Roadrunners? Not as fast as the Mamba but i imagine the fade to be less. I haven't thrown any kind of Mambas.

I considered Starlite Roadrunners, but prefer to avoid limited releases. RR probably falls between Diamond and Mamba, and I like having short and long understable options. Mamba is pretty versatile for me – with a little extra hyzer I can hit most of the lines I used to throw with Valkyries.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Monocacy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:44 am

Shake-up in the putter department:

Soft Anode is my main putt and approach disc now; Ions are out of the bag. I find Anodes about as stable as Ions, but straighter. MVP needs to make a batch of light Neutron Anodes so I have something to throw in the back yard at night.

Traded for a gummy Champ Rhyno. Wow, how did I ever live without this disc? Perfect complement to the Anode.

Question: If I like the gummy Champ Rhyno, would a new Champ Rhyno fly similarly? How about DX Rhynos – are they similar to Champ Rhynos, and if so, how long do they stay that way?

In other news, I have cautiously been adding forehand back into the mix, still mostly approaches but occasional drives. FH hyzers are so much more reliable than BH anhyzers/turnovers. I hope the shoulder holds up.

Feedback, as always, is welcomed.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:34 am

Do they make only hard Champ Rhynos these days? To my knowledge most C Rhynos were gummy from 2009 onwards. DX will break in quickly near rocks and trees so the Pro would last longer out of tackier plastics. Despite the bulk and the bead the Rhynos FHs nicely after you've gotten used to the grip and releasing it cleanly.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Monocacy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:41 am

JR wrote:Do they make only hard Champ Rhynos these days? To my knowledge most C Rhynos were gummy from 2009 onwards.

I don’t know – I was hoping someone could tell me about current Champ Rhynos before I order on-line. I do like the grip on the gummy Champ.

JR wrote:DX will break in quickly near rocks and trees so the Pro would last longer out of tackier plastics.

Pro seems to be OOP, and I don’t like throwing discs that cannot be easily replaced. Lots of trees but not too many rocks locally - maybe I’ll order a Champ and two DX for comparison, and see what works best.

JR wrote:Despite the bulk and the bead the Rhynos FHs nicely after you've gotten used to the grip and releasing it cleanly.

Yes, the Rhyno felt immediately comfortable FH. I am used to throwing Rocs FH, so that probably helps.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:53 pm

If you order clear see through Champ Rhynos they should be able to send you a gummy one. I have never seen a opaque gummy or a clear hard Rhyno. Stars are durable and grippier than gummy Rhynos and R-Pro might be durable enough for you and wayyyyy grippy great for winter.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Monocacy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:46 am

Thank you, JR. Which is more durable in Rhynos - DX or R-Pro?
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:27 am

R-Pro gets more cosmetic damage faster and being so flexy absorbs structural damage causing impacts much better than the DX by bending more. I've seen wear in DX around stones quickly and the R-Pro was trashed on the surface but it retained the overstable nature longer. At your power the R-Pro might last a long time. Especially when you don't have many rocks around.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Monocacy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks! PayPal is flush, so time to buy some discs.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 pm

you want to buy that 165 Comet?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion