Will this weekend change the face of disc golf?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Will this weekend change the face of disc golf?

Postby allsport1313 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:29 pm

Yeah Will said goodbye to Innova and Discmania on fb I'm pretty sure. Weird wording but yeah
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby keltik » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:42 pm

okay so Will said goodbye to Innova. what else is involved? there has to be something else to this "big weekend."
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Mixed Bag Madness » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:43 pm

In retrospect, I wonder if Nikko was referencing this big news here....
http://nldg.net/thank-you-california/
PA1s-Rocs-FLX Drones-Teebirds-D3s-Destroyers-D1s
Mixed Bag Madness
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pumpkin Rocs

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:40 am

It's Monday now. What happened that changed the face of disc golf?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby iacas » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:42 am

keltik wrote:It's Monday now. What happened that changed the face of disc golf?

Zip.

So the answer to the question was/is "no."
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:51 pm

iacas wrote:
keltik wrote:It's Monday now. What happened that changed the face of disc golf?

Zip.

So the answer to the question was/is "no."

Just because you can't yet see the ripples does not mean there wasn't a big splash. It will be interesting to see the scorecard from this weekend, how many pros change sponsors.

If the rumors are true and those invited to the new manufacturer are given a month to decide whether to sign or not, do they have enough information to make an informed switch? Did they even get to try out samples of the new molds?

A slew of new manufacturing hopefuls are out or soon to come out. What percent of the new companies will be in business in 5 years? Probably under 10% wouldn't you think?
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby dehaas » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:36 pm

I think you're more likely to see bag and apparel companies come and go before disc manufacturers. I would imagine that manufacturing discs involves a lot more money invested up front, and those willing to take that plunge are a little more careful since there is more to lose. Printing up shirts or making golf bags by hand at your house is a lot more accessible than injection molding.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:45 am

dehaas wrote:I think you're more likely to see bag and apparel companies come and go before disc manufacturers. I would imagine that manufacturing discs involves a lot more money invested up front, and those willing to take that plunge are a little more careful since there is more to lose. Printing up shirts or making golf bags by hand at your house is a lot more accessible than injection molding.

More retailers will fail because more of them are launched but will the difference be great by PERCENT of failure?. A huge investment usually creates huge ongoing costs, leading to the necessity of huge sales and gaining market share to survive.

The players on this site are knowledgeable and experienced in the game and willing to try the products of a new manufacturer. But most disc golfers just buy whatever their local stores offer. When a golfer hits the internet to buy discs doesn't he mostly buy whatever discs are recommended by his friends? Neither of these tendencies helps a new manufacturer with sales.

What percent of the market is owned by companies other than the big 2? If a MAJOR player stepped in to the market ( Nike, Reebok, Addidas, etc) then it would change everything. There are no indications this has happened yet.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Leopard » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 am

Mark Ellis wrote:What percent of the market is owned by companies other than the big 2?

My guess is 80-85% to the 2, informed by processing thousands of orders.

Re: Retailers, I read the original competitive analysis for DN, from 2001. 8/10 of those retailers are no longer around. Some were never on my radar, having started in '05.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby keltik » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:34 am

where can one read this original competitive analysis from 2001?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby tbird888 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:34 am

Leopard wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:What percent of the market is owned by companies other than the big 2?

My guess is 80-85% to the 2, informed by processing thousands of orders.

Re: Retailers, I read the original competitive analysis for DN, from 2001. 8/10 of those retailers are no longer around. Some were never on my radar, having started in '05.

Just out of curiosity, what are the two that still exist? GGGT and DTW?
tbird888
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Leopard » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:32 pm

keltik wrote:where can one read this original competitive analysis from 2001?
start working on your hacker skillz :lol:

tbird888 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are the two that still exist? GGGT and DTW?
I believe so. Note -- both have strong wholesale operations, including DTW as one of the few Innova wholesalers. Big dealers = retail automation + wholesale.

Not to drift, but you Community guys might consider tipping Justin for what he does; dude must work himself to death. I hope DGCR gets to keep that resource for shopping, but the atmosphere of DG retail forces too many dealers to compete on price and shipping, no matter what their actual value proposal may be. Justin is selling premium service, but he's forced to also lead with price and at-loss shipping. If the continuous posts are true, his service is worth far more than he's charging for it. Retailers without automation work too hard for too little and burn out because they can't charge for service reasonably. He won't set the pricing to do himself any favors, so tip the man for christ's sake.
Last edited by Leopard on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Steady 26542 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:12 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:What percent of the market is owned by companies other than the big 2? If a MAJOR player stepped in to the market ( Nike, Reebok, Addidas, etc) then it would change everything. There are no indications this has happened yet.

tbird888 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are the two that still exist? GGGT and DTW?

This shows you how I think... I thought you were talking about Discraft and Innova, not GGGT and DTW... :oops:
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby tbird888 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Steady 26542 wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:What percent of the market is owned by companies other than the big 2? If a MAJOR player stepped in to the market ( Nike, Reebok, Addidas, etc) then it would change everything. There are no indications this has happened yet.

This shows you how I think... I thought you were talking about Discraft and Innova, not GGGT and DTW... :oops:

I believe Mark was talking about Innova and Discraft.
tbird888
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby keltik » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:08 pm

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/sh ... hp?t=78128

well it looks like Mr. Ellis meant to type Wednesday instead of weekend. Kind of sad when DGCR is my source of "reliable" DG news.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion