Best single mold distance driver for most shots.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best single mold distance driver for most shots.

Postby jhilton » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Start with about 350ft of power.

What is the best single distance driver mold that you could get to cover the variety of shots you would use for distance driving? Perhaps using different plastic types to cover the range of stabilities.

(I know this probably won't include super overstable or super understable shots)
jhilton
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Best single mold distance driver for most shots.

Postby chunk » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:46 pm

destroyer.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby victorb » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:35 pm

At 350 ft of power, the most versatile discs, when considering different plastic types, would probably be an OLF or a PD.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby turso » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:57 pm

victorb wrote:At 350 ft of power, the most versatile discs, when considering different plastic types, would probably be an OLF or a PD.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby JR » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:34 pm

victorb wrote:At 350 ft of power, the most versatile discs, when considering different plastic types, would probably be an OLF or a PD.

Third because the PD comes in a variety of plastics and wear from beefy (CFR C)to flippy (P) and QOLF and SOLF 1.2 are more overstable than SOLF 1.1 which can break in slowly but for understable i'd use MOLF. SOLF 1.3 is a crap shoot you might get old 1.1 or something else that i have no idea of because i haven't thrown those.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby pask2155 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:21 pm

PD FOR SURE! It powers down well too... It can hit anything from 300'-375'ish... I can't quite get it over 400' though. So more than 400' I have to disc up... And for that I go for my esp nukes.

But the different plastics in this disc makes it nice!
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby TLapham » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Teebird.
-Trade List
-My Bag (Always looking for backups):

Pred | Force | DD2 | Teebird | Buzzz | Wizard
TLapham
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE Teebird

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:01 pm

Fastish: PD, OLF, Avenger, Saint (my pref is X Avenger)

Realistic: Eagle-X
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby BLURR » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:25 am

Avenger would get my vote. The avenger in Z and X would cover most of your shots that you would need and can range anything from 300-400, for the most part.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby money 21 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:44 am

riptide. i have gone back to a very simple bag the riptide covers most bh shots easy to fh and works well for thumbers.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Itchy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:26 pm

If there's little to no wind and you have clean form, a Star TL will fly any line you want it to at 350 feet.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby JR » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Even more with more power but it is not the ultimate straight line finisher given any height. And at such low heights where it lands flat it will need initial hyzer to flip to flat at say 360-380' distance with long discs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jhilton » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:06 pm

What about a valkyrie? Are any of them beefy enough to cover headwind or moderate overstable shots?
jhilton
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:05 am

No. Even if you throw with little power a harder headwind will still make them flippy eventually. With that said Star Valks are the most HSS and LSS and thus shortest Valks and they would handle the most wind. Meaning for a 400' thrower not at all in moderate headwinds. And somewhat unpredictable in mild headwinds.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:29 am

jhilton wrote:Start with about 350ft of power.

What is the best single distance driver mold that you could get to cover the variety of shots you would use for distance driving? Perhaps using different plastic types to cover the range of stabilities.

(I know this probably won't include super overstable or super understable shots)

The Nuke.

For a long distance driver you need a disc which flies a long distance. Nukes go far. Farther than anything else I have thrown.

The wider the rim the farther the glide but the harder to control. Nukes have the widest rim and are definitely hard to control. Just like a sportscar compared to a truck. Trucks are more reliable and easier to control. But trucks won't win the race against a person with a sportscar who has learned how to control it.

Nukes require precision. You must learn the disc. It is my opinion that Nukes are sensitive to the nose angle at release, more so than other drivers. Once you figure this out Nukes go far and very well.

For those with the biggest arms, the greatest power, they have the luxury to dial back to their old reliable pickup truck drivers. The weaker arms (compared to the competition they are facing at the moment) need every bit of power they can squeeze out.

So I can handily compete in Pro Grandmasters (50+) without Nukes (I don't of course, why should I give up the added distance I have worked so hard to learn). In Masters or Open I absolutely have to dial up. I carry 7 Nukes (plus backups) to cover the range of stabilities. This is without going to the related OS and SS molds, which hugely expand the range of stability beyond what is useful to me.

On some shots distance is critical. Sometimes you have to go over or around something to get to a landing zone or within range of a basket. Anytime distance is critical I throw a Nuke.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Next

Return to Equipment