driving anhyzer or hyzer release

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby south.texas.dead.i » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:25 pm

I have been playing for about 2 months with other new players, we all suck but we all suck equally. i dont think there is very fast improvement. now i just recently hit 300' with a dd2blizzard and a stalker i believe cannot even remember. but anyways i have the following drivers and have been experimenting a lot with them all i release them all with a slight anhyzer i believe (outside rim is highest point) i am a right handed back hand thrower. I have: znukess zavengerss zstalker z xl and dd2blizzard from discraft from innova i have a groove and archangel gateway i have an astra i found several of these. is this correct release angle or no? and MERRY CHRISTMAS! or happy holidays
south.texas.dead.i
Noob

Re: driving anhyzer or hyzer release

Postby Beetard » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:25 pm

The release angle should depend on the line you're trying to shape. If you want the disc to curve to the right, throw anhyzer.

Many new players use anhyzer release to try to compensate for their disc's natural left curve and straighten out the shot. I've been down that road and found it's better to try to find discs that fly straighter and don't fight as hard to go left.

disc "speed" and "stability" are what to consider when selecting a disc. As you explore this message board and disc specifications you'll develop your concept of these terms.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby south.texas.dead.i » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:46 pm

Beetard wrote:The release angle should depend on the line you're trying to shape. If you want the disc to curve to the right, throw anhyzer.

Many new players use anhyzer release to try to compensate for their disc's natural left curve and straighten out the shot. I've been down that road and found it's better to try to find discs that fly straighter and don't fight as hard to go left.

disc "speed" and "stability" are what to consider when selecting a disc. As you explore this message board and disc specifications you'll develop your concept of these terms.

Well speed from my experience is the average distance youll get from the disc being thrown and stability to me is if the disc being thrown is released at a perfectly flat angle straight at the target stability is where the disc will land with zero wind on the x axis relative to the target and the throwers release point. If I want my nuke ss to land right on that line in zero mph wind based on my experience I would aim about 6ft to the right of that target and release the disc with about 1/2" anhyzer outside rim above the inside rim at about 40 degree incline. Is this correct?
south.texas.dead.i
Noob

Postby kern9787 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:44 am

Speed ratings have much more to do with how much speed is required for a disc to fly as its ratings would suggest. There is more distance potential with faster disc's, but speed does not equal more distance. With a lot of newer players, high speed disc's can be detrimental to distance.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby south.texas.dead.i » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:48 am

kern9787 wrote:Speed ratings have much more to do with how much speed is required for a disc to fly as its ratings would suggest. There is more distance potential with faster disc's, but speed does not equal more distance. With a lot of newer players, high speed disc's can be detrimental to distance.

Makes sense, but what about drive release angles?
south.texas.dead.i
Noob

Postby chainsmoker » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:19 am

If your having to release a disc with an anhyzer the disc is either too fast too overstable or both. That's the short easy answer and of course it can get much more complicated. Out of all of those discs I would think the XL/stalker is more where you are at, if you are having to release those with an anhyzer try something less stable at the same speed. Like Beetard said your current form could hinder your developement.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:37 am

south.texas.dead.i wrote:I have been playing for about 2 months with other new players, we all suck but we all suck equally. i dont think there is very fast improvement. now i just recently hit 300' with a dd2blizzard and a stalker i believe cannot even remember. but anyways i have the following drivers and have been experimenting a lot with them all i release them all with a slight anhyzer i believe (outside rim is highest point) i am a right handed back hand thrower. I have: znukess zavengerss zstalker z xl and dd2blizzard from discraft from innova i have a groove and archangel gateway i have an astra i found several of these. is this correct release angle or no? and MERRY CHRISTMAS! or happy holidays

Welcome to the game. You and your buddies all suck equally probably because you are all trying to figure things out on your own, without the benefit of an experienced teacher. Your improvement may be slow but with good instruction it will be rapid ( maybe Meteoric :D ). The easiest way to find good players is to attend leagues and tournaments and seek them out for advice. Every good player started out like you and most are happy to give basic lessons.

Your descriptions of the basic terms are such a mishmash I can't decode them. So let me describe instead the way I teach newbies. You want to learn to throw flat (parallel to the ground) with a clean release (little flutter as it comes out of your hand and the wing flat -more on the wing later). Your body motion should be smooth and balanced with a full follow through. When you do these things your disc will fly straight and flat until it starts to slow down- then the stability of the disc will determine how it finishes (an overstable disc will hyzer out, an understable disc will anhyzer and a stable disc will continue straight).

For you (rhbh) a disc will hyzer to the left and anhyzer to the right. If you learn a forehand it will do the opposite ( hyzer to the left and anhyzer to the right).

Most newbies throw hyzers, both because their discs are more overstable than they need and because their body motion/arm swing causes it. Watch a buddy throw. He probably bends forward at the waist and his arm motion swoops up from his waist to his shoulder (oh, and he has almost no follow through if he is the typical newbie). This motion creates a hyzer (and a more extreme hyzer the more overstable the disc he throws). By standing straighter up and using an arm motion straight across the chest this causes a disc to fly flat. To force a disc to bend opposite of a hyzer (an anhyzer), arch your back slightly backwards and use an arm motion that starts chest high and finishes downward, in the direction of your waist.

Most shots need to start flat and straight down the center of a fairway. This is the skill you need to master. Even for shots that need to bend in either direction to follow the fairway you still want to start them basically flat and choose a disc which bends as you need it. This skill (throwing flat and straight) is more important than throwing far. Control trumps distance in golf.

Ok, everyone wants to throw far. Throwing far is more about good form and timing than it is strength or effort. Seldom will you throw good shots by throwing with maximum effort. Dial back to 80-90% effort and make sure you are smooth, flat and balanced.

So far I have not mentioned turning the disc in your hand to change the angle of release. This matters, of course, but not as much as your body motion and arm swing. The angle of release is more fine tuning. The part of the disc opposite where you grip the disc is called the wing. If you point the wing down toward the ground (at the point of release) this causes a hyzer (ie.. a hyzer angle release). If you release the wing flat ( parallel to the ground) this makes the disc fly flat. If you point the wing up this is an anhyzer angle release. Most beginners exaggerate the angle of release more than they should.

Just like most shots should start out basically flat, so too should most shots be thrown with a mostly flat angle of release.

Figuring this stuff out from written descriptions is difficult. Watch some youtube videos and mimic the form of the good players you see. Then find a good player to give advice. Even when you think your form is good you cannot see your flaws. Good luck.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Return to General Discussion