A couple of Noob questions...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

A couple of Noob questions...

Postby Aaron_D » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:58 pm

I have seen of people talking about 5x, 9x, 10x, 11x, when refering to their discs. What does this mean? Also, I have seen people use the CFR and 1st 2nd 3rd etc 'run' discs. How can you tell what run your discs are and what in the world is CFR!? Also, is there a difference in top and bottom stamped discs? And what is a retooled beast and how can I tell if mine are...I have a dx a ce and a star.

Any help would be appreciated.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:07 pm

the 5x 10x 11x ect is ken climo pro models that credit him for how many times hes won worlds.

cfr stands for champion fund raiser, theyre special discs innova marks up for fundraising purposes.

and some discs are marked first run, and the discs are often retooled or just tweaked so most times a first run flies different, theres not much way to tell the difference from 2nd and 3rd runs, unless you were throwing them all as they come out and can tell the difference from flight.

anyone correct me if im wrong ;-)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:36 am

3-5x = juliana korver sig discs, aviar x's and valkyries.

8-11x = ken climo sig discs, aviars, rocs, teebirds, gazelles, cheetahs, eagles, banshees, whippets, firebirds, vipers, pegasus, etc.

1-2x = barry schultz beast.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:09 am

Don't worry if you're confused. I didn't know the 5x referred to particular players. I just knew they were different runs.

One thing you will encounter in disc golf is inconsistency. When a disc is released, it has certain characteristics. On subsequent runs (when more are produced), there are differences (sometiems sublte, sometimes not).

The downfall is that if you find a disc you like, it may be different unless you buy several from the same run. Usually, if I find a disc I like I try to buy as many as I can knowing that next time it is manufactured it may be different.

For example, the z buzz was an okay disc, but the midnight buzz is awesome. I'm being told that it resembles a first run buzz. Of course, I never have thrown a 1st run buzz, so I wouldn't know.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Aaron_D » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:31 am

Thanks fellas.

As far as top/bottom stamped discs...im assuming they are they same given they might be slightly different due to inconsistancies?
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:39 pm

the stamp placement top vs. bottom affects how the disc domes up as heat is applied to the flight plate during the stamping process.

a general rule of thumb are that bottom stamps are a bit domier than top stamps, but this is not always true.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Equipment