What kind of conditions do y'all play in?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What kind of conditions do y'all play in?

Postby south.texas.dead.i » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm here in south texas on padre and was thinking about playing later today I checked the weather and right now at noon it's blowing 24mph and it seems calm. 75degrees with 84% humidity. Mainly interested in the wind as I cannot figure out how to play in it yet
south.texas.dead.i
Noob

Re: What kind of conditions do y'all play in?

Postby JR » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:30 am

A foot of snow officially seems more in places, only 15 MPH now average has mostly been 22 MPH with gusts of 50 % more and the temp is changing now less at night it was 14F. In previous winters i've played in snow so deep that my nuts touched the surface of the snow when i was standing upright with feet touching each other. And in way colder conditions. Good layers of clothing and thermos are a must but it is healthy to have another backup source of warmth. Chemical or electrical source. Now i have both for the first time.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby victorb » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:28 am

I've played in just about any conditions - hot, windy, cold, snow, rain, tropical depresssion (did that at wildcat springs last season)...

The only way to get used to playing in the wind is to play more in the wind. You can never get better in bad conditions if you don't actually play in bad conditions.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Monocacy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:57 am

JR wrote:. . . i've played in snow so deep that my nuts touched the surface of the snow when i was standing upright . . .

This is why I always wear pants in the snow . . . :wink:

To the OP: victorb is right - I hated the wind until I figured out which discs could handle the wind, and how to throw them. I still do not enjoy playing in the wind, but experience helps a lot.

Forehand is really useful in side winds when you need to keep the wind from getting under the flight plate.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Monocacy wrote:
JR wrote:. . . i've played in snow so deep that my nuts touched the surface of the snow when i was standing upright . . .

This is why I always wear pants in the snow . . . :wink:

To the OP: victorb is right - I hated the wind until I figured out which discs could handle the wind, and how to throw them. I still do not enjoy playing in the wind, but experience helps a lot.

Forehand is really useful in side winds when you need to keep the wind from getting under the flight plate.

Oh snap is that why the others are using pants? I'm an ice swimmer. Meaning you make a hole in the ice in a lake, sea or river and jump in...
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby chunk » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:09 am

i live in va so we play in it all, rain, snow, wind, cold and heat. we truely are a four season state.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:17 am

Nice ones
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:46 am

all of them.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JHern » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:05 pm

We have some rain in the rainy season, which we do indeed play in, but other than that it is sunny and nice all year. The courses in Monterey get pretty windy at times, it's a great opportunity to practice one's wind game, which I really enjoy.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:21 pm

A blizzard today. One hole played right into the teeth of the storm. I couldn't actually look down the fairway because the snow was so thick and biting and wet it was instantly blinding so I looked down at the tee pad and imagined where the fairway probably was and threw it. After I released the drive I looked up and saw... nothing but a white out. Then I hurried down the fairway hoping to find the disc before it became totally covered in snow.

My drive was only 30 feet from the basket. By the time I got to it it was covered in snow. If the disc was not a bright color I might not have found it.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby badfinger » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Rain and puddles 90% of the time, excellent weather the rest of the year (live in the Portland, Oregon area).
badfinger
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Eagle

Return to General Discussion